Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 purchase and cross country drive..
tod914
post Sep 5 2003, 06:37 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

spare fuel pump relays, volt reg. have a ppi done before hand. If it's a NJ car, I can tell you where not to take it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Sep 5 2003, 08:31 AM
Post #22

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

Exactly what kind of car are you buying here?? That would be the determining factor. What is it's condition?

I would hop in my teener a drive to California tomorrow if I needed to, no problem.

But my last one???

I would have ended up getting stuck on the side of the road in a Texas desert......... Hitching a ride from "bubba" and his family of human-skin mask-wearing, chainsaw wielding lunatics--LOL

Just make sure you have the funds for a backup plan if you decide to drive.

My rule for buying a classic is if it's more than a 1 day drive..... (12 hours), I have it shipped.

Good luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 5 2003, 10:18 AM
Post #23

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

You guys don't know what "cross country" in a 914 is. I have a deposit on my '71 (car on left in my avatar) and it just passed a thorough PPI. The buyer arrives in Portland, Oregon by plane Tuesday and leaves for Pembroke, Maine on Wednesday. Mapquest says that is 3400 miles. SHE will be travelling alone. I drove it from Chicago to Portland with no problems when I bought it last fall.
Think good thoughts for her. I sure will be!
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 5 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #24

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I hope she becomes a member of the 914club! We could use a few more dedicated 914 women around here!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 5 2003, 10:37 AM
Post #25

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I think she already is
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 5 2003, 10:40 AM
Post #26

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Well, who is she? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 5 2003, 10:44 AM
Post #27

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Ask Jim9146
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 5 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #28

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

See thread "Fair Price, newbie needs help". Her name is Joan Arbuthnot. I am very much looking forward to meeting her in person. She will stay with my wife and I Tuesday night.
She bought a new '71 and sold it in '84. Always regretted it and is now getting another. I will be leaving for Ventura on the day after she leaves so will be away from my computer while she is on the road. Hopefully she can get some help from club members if she has problems. She will first head to Kansas City for a short layover with friends. I will post more when I know her route (with her consent).
+Quote Post
jnp914
post Sep 5 2003, 03:35 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,046

Back to the rarity of seeing 914s on the open road. Last April I drove to Salt Lake City. Between Cheyenne and somewhere in west Wyoming I saw two 914s, traveling separately, heading east on 80. Seeing the first was a pleasant surprise, seeing the second was a shock.

Drive 'em if you got 'em.
+Quote Post
supernova
post Sep 5 2003, 03:52 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,099

QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Sep 5 2003, 06:31 AM)
I would have ended up getting stuck on the side of the road in a Texas desert......... Hitching a ride from "bubba" and his family of human-skin mask-wearing, chainsaw wielding lunatics--LOL

EASY THERE YANK...thats only in the movies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I drove my ol 914 through N.W TX (enroute to OR) and actually had some ol fart chase me in his truck, flashing lights and all. I decided to pull over and see if something was wrong. He flagged me down thinking I was some friend of his. It's a small world even in BFE Texas.

Biggest fear in TX anymore is a bunch of illegals and they hang out in the big cities. Bubba may laugh at your funny car but chances are he'll lend you a hand.
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post Sep 5 2003, 06:39 PM
Post #31

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 300

QUOTE]The buyer arrives in Portland, Oregon by plane Tuesday and leaves for Pembroke, Maine on Wednesday. Mapquest says that is 3400 miles. SHE will be travelling alone. [/QUOTE]

YOU GO GIRL!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

best of luck to her. i bought my -6 in seattle, actually edgewood, and drove it back to central fl. over 5 days. direct via mapquest was 3226 mi., but i took some alt. scenic routes, so i was at about 3400 mi. also!! fortunately it was a beautiful experience!! i had family in colorado, kansas and tennessee, i figured, if it breaks down, i could tow it to a family members house and have it shipped home from there.

i flew out with basic tools, clutch and accel cables, relays and manuals, i also had a cb radio!! before i got on the road i stopped and bought oil, fire bottle, an atlas and fix a flat (slime).

mechanically i may have been lucky. i didn't get a ppi, but i looked the car over good and "trusted" the PO when he said he would not hestitate to drive the car anywhere. after getting home and driving the car around fl., i developed fuel percolation in the carbs, (no insulator blocks). that could have easly happened on the road and it could have burnt to the ground!!

so, to buy a 914 and dive it a long distane home, look it over good........... prepare for the worst and then hope for the best!
+Quote Post
serge914
post Sep 5 2003, 06:53 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 723

Last year I bought my car in South Carolina and it did cost me aroung $650.US to have it shipped to Montreal by train. They even picked-up the car at the seller place.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 5 2003, 07:16 PM
Post #33

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(jim9146 @ Sep 5 2003, 12:18 PM)

Think good thoughts for her. I sure will be!

I'd drive your car cross country, like it was stolen, and I think it probably would be..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

And was!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

What a great deal that car is, she's super lucky.

M
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 5 2003, 07:22 PM
Post #34

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(supernova @ Sep 5 2003, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Sep 5 2003, 06:31 AM)

EASY THERE YANK...thats only in the movies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bubba may laugh at your funny car but chances are he'll lend you a hand.

I think the concern was based on it actually being Bubba's hand, not possesive, actually Bubba proper.

M
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 5 2003, 08:16 PM
Post #35

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Where in Seattle is Edgewood??

I think Joan will be really happy with that 71 car of Jims. Should do just fine if she keeps it under 95mph.

Geoff
+Quote Post
jarbuthnot
post Sep 5 2003, 09:57 PM
Post #36

Senior Woman Driver

Member No.: 1,065

I'm the one who is buying Jim's car and driving Portland to Maine (near the Canadian border) and I haven't even seen the car yet. The route I'm taking is over 3600 miles. The car passed the PPI and I'm not worried.

Most of the stuff in my suitcase is for the car: Haines Repair Manual for 914, flashlight, work gloves, towel (all in case I have to change a tire at night), tapes (in case all I can get is country and western), cell phone, a carton of cigarettes, and a bottle of bourbon.

As for tools, or mechanical stuff, wouldn't know what to do with them. I can put oil and gas in and change a tire if I have to, but that's it. So if I have a problem, AAA will come and pick me up (been there, done that), leave the car and the manual with someone who hopefully knows something and come back and pick the car up later.

I'm looking forward to it!

Joan A
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Sep 5 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #37

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Joan, post your route in another thread. That way members along the way might PM you there phone #'s if you need some help. I know you mentioned that your going by me, but about a day and a half drive South of here.

Did a little over 1/2 that distance last year in a teener (Victoria, BC to here) had a blast. Enjoy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post Sep 6 2003, 04:35 AM
Post #38

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 300

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 5 2003, 06:16 PM)
Where in Seattle is Edgewood??

Geoff

oopsss! checked the map, actually it's by tacoma. i drove up through seattle before heading east.

joan, one way or the other it will be a memorable experience and a great bonding opportunity with your new 914.
just be sure to check your engine bay at every stop, smell for gas, check for leaks, look under the car for any leaks, check your oil every stop too. good luck!!
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Sep 6 2003, 06:47 AM
Post #39

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Count on full support across southern Michigan, if you're coming this way!!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 6 2003, 08:24 AM
Post #40

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes post your route so we can help if needed.

A couple of years ago, Yoder and Steve Milo drove across the US to Calif. Came thru Seattle and met them for dinner and helped fix a minor problem (rear lights). I think Brad helped them fix bad injector seals when they went thru the San Fran area.

Geoff
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 10:09 AM