Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> www.massivetype4.com
Bleyseng
post Sep 5 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #21

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As Brad said, "About 10k for a turn key 3.2L 220hp six" How complicated is that? I know others have done it for less, like JP who quotes "about $6500" for his 2.7L.

Jake sells great motors but I haven't driven one of his high hp 4's. I have driven a couple of sixes and the factory FI 3.2 was incredible! It makes a 914 into a totally modern car, no contest, the hands down winner!!!:trophy:

Geoff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Sep 5 2003, 02:12 PM
Post #22

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

it's all the stuff that goes with the engine that seems too complicated for a "1st major project"

the oil pan and lines... plus, don't you need a tranny upgrade for anything bigger than the 2.4?

trannys are not my deal..
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 5 2003, 02:18 PM
Post #23

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 5 2003, 12:03 PM)
I know others have done it for less, like JP who quotes "about $6500" for his 2.7L.

Geoff

That was with the 2.4L.

The 2.7L was ...ah ...more. Tack on 3500 or so over & above the 2.4L.

tat: I'm still running the 901 trans, as are many others.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 5 2003, 02:18 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Plenty of people out running around with 3.2's against stock trannies. Can you drill 5 holes in your sheet metal ?? Then you can mount a 9146 tank. The only problem I can see you having is the welding of the engine mount... but your 10 miles from having Wes Hildreth weld it in for you.

B
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 5 2003, 02:20 PM
Post #25

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Sep 5 2003, 01:12 PM)
the oil pan and lines... plus, don't you need a tranny upgrade for anything bigger than the 2.4?

the 901 tranny is good for about 250HP and all the /6 will bold right onto it (even a 3.6) ...

Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 5 2003, 02:20 PM
Post #26

Aircooled Baby!

No tranny upgrades, just bolts up. You might want to change the gear ratios later which is pretty easy to do yourself or have someone like Brad, change and freshen the tranny at that time. Most 4 trannys are 30 years old so a good going thru would be a good idea don't you think even if you just bolted a 180hp 2270 Raby Rocket in there?

Sorry JP I quoted you wrong! Damn, if you would stop changing engines I could remember all this!

Geoff
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Sep 5 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #27

stoya, stoya, stoya

not even that far... Wes is around the corner... I just talked to him today actually..

ok, well, maybe I've made a big deal out o nothing... so, how much would it cost for a smaller engine(no way my wife will let me spend 10k!!!, and a 2.x is fine for my street driving ass)) and all the pieces to make it happen... the suspension can come later down the road and the 320i brakes are plenty for me....
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 5 2003, 02:27 PM
Post #28

Aircooled Baby!

The smaller motors cost almost the same, ok maybe a little less.
You can find 3.2L for $4500-5500
You can find 2.4L for $1500-2500

But add the cost of atleast a top end rebuild of $3500 on to the 2.4L and its not worth it.

Soooo, a nice low mile 3.2L is the way to go cuz you don't have to do anything to it except bolt it in.

Geoff
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Sep 5 2003, 02:32 PM
Post #29

stoya, stoya, stoya

but if I can find a 2.x that has been rebuilt, wouldn't that be a good deal?

what about everything else? how much does that cost and where do you get it?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 5 2003, 02:41 PM
Post #30

Aircooled Baby!

Do a search as Brad has posted a breakdown sheet about 5 times on the BBS.
Its about $4500 for all the parts and pieces to install the motor, ie: engine tin, oil tank, oil lines, engine mount etc. All brand new.
If you shop around you can pick up deals here and there for projects that get sold.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 5 2003, 02:42 PM
Post #31

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

When the -6 breaks see how much it costs to repair it...You can build a pair of 2270s for the same cost as one-6.....
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 5 2003, 02:46 PM
Post #32

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Yep. 190k miles on my 3.0 SC engine.. still going strong. LOL The 3.0 and up bottom ends will go 300k miles before something needs to be done with the crank/rods. They do need top end rebuilds around 200k depending on how the 911 owner took care of the engine. They dont break often. They dont drop valve seats either.

Sorry Jake. I intended to push people to the new site. Promise.

B
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 5 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #33

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

We just got Jake to join this site, we should be nice so we don't run him off. His knowledge and experience is invaluable to those of us with type-4 motors. We will have to see how my turbo type-4 does in the HP department and then compare it to a -6 conversion.

We are all your friends Jake.

By the way, I like you new site. Just a suggestion, but it would be nice if the your were able to click on the pictures and open them up full screen to get a closer look. Some of them on the install page and the products page are kinda difficult to make out due to the size.

-Britain
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Sep 5 2003, 03:26 PM
Post #34

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 5 2003, 03:41 PM)
Do a search as Brad has posted a breakdown sheet about 5 times on the BBS.
Its about $4500 for all the parts and pieces to install the motor, ie: engine tin, oil tank, oil lines, engine mount etc. All brand new.
If you shop around you can pick up deals here and there for projects that get sold.

Geoff

4500 +3-4k for the engine... that's about 2x what a "jake kit" will cost...

I would seriously think about it if I was planning to autocross or wanted more than 110-125 hp... but realistically, I don't need more than that...

I wasn't trying to diss you at all Jake... this conversation should have been taken to another thread, I apologize for ruining your thread.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 5 2003, 03:34 PM
Post #35

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Right now we are in the process of getting a better host for the site...The site is slow and not 100% finished right now...

They won't run me off at all. There are TIV guys and -6 guys. I also build -6 engines but just up to a 2.7, have no experience with the later versions..
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 5 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #36

Aircooled Baby!

I have about a 115hp four right now and its great. That doesn't mean I can plan for a 200hp six to go in.
I think Jakes motors are great and he builds them right. It still cost about 7k for one one his high hp ones and you still have to install it, plumb for a oil cooler and other little things.
Brad was just giving a turn key price which is cheap in my book for 200hp. Just drop it off and come back and drive it away.
There is room enough for both guys, but good thing are on opposite coasts!! lol

Geoff
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Sep 5 2003, 04:23 PM
Post #37

stoya, stoya, stoya

for what I want now... a moderate Hp increase(110-125, as I said is enough, eventhough I may want more later), and greater reliability, I think Jake's kit is the value leader... remember I'm a cheap-ass, and I'm lazy...

it seems like too much work to go watercooled, and I don't know that I would have the heart to cut into my car like that anyway... to get a 200-250hp Scoobie or something would probably be CHEAPEST... but too much work

the -6 conversion would be probably the most expensive... though it does seem much easier now than it did before...if the money/marriage wasn't an issue, this would proably have been my direction all along

tIV is cheaper and easiest... even when buying the best kit money can by(Jake) for these engines... plus if later something happens, I feel like I can work on these engines a little...unlike the 6 I like bolt-in simplicity really.

before the saga of my 914s are over I'll probably do 1 of each... but for my first project... unless I just see the chance to get really lucky some other way, I'm thinking T-IV by jake. but Thanks to everyone on this site... you guys are all a tremenous help, you guys "keep me on the horse" so to speak... and keep me from giving up the project as "bad timing" (what with the marriage coming up in 22 days and all)

my wife didn't make me give up the project(I even volunteered)... she wouldn't hear of it... she loves my teener and knows it's "my baby"... but I don't think if I called her up and said "oh hey, I just paid out 8k for may car..." that she would be very happy with me.... homicide is committed for much less than that in TX... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Sep 5 2003, 04:32 PM
Post #38

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 5 2003, 05:20 PM)
I have about a 115hp four right now and its great. That doesn't mean I can plan for a 200hp six to go in.
I think Jakes motors are great and he builds them right. It still cost about 7k for one one his high hp ones and you still have to install it, plumb for a oil cooler and other little things.
Brad was just giving a turn key price which is cheap in my book for 200hp. Just drop it off and come back and drive it away.
There is room enough for both guys, but good thing are on opposite coasts!! lol

Geoff

too bad both of them are a log-ass way from Big D!!!

btw, I'm not comparing a Jake turn-key motor... I'm comparing a kit price.... I have no qualms about pulling my 1.8 TIV apart and putting in a jake kit... but would be scared to change the plugs in a 3.2... very different critters...

who knows with me guys... I change like the wind... I may win the 1.7 pistons/cyls tommorrow and be happy with an 80hp demon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) and not upgrade for 2-3 years.... by then 10k may not be a big deal... or I may slap a chevy(or scoobie) in and have a cheap water-pumper... who knows!
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 5 2003, 04:39 PM
Post #39

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 5 2003, 03:16 PM)
I specialize in 10k dollar 3.0 6 conversions...

B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

You need to SAY STUFF LIKE THAT EARLY and OFTEN

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

Make up a list of what that $10k includes, and I'll start packing money into little free donuts for you.

Damnit.

M
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Sep 5 2003, 05:49 PM
Post #40

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 5 2003, 11:27 AM)
DTM was the company who made the upright fan shroud conversions for the type4. They where based in Oregon. The owner died and Jake bought the molds. Before he went public with the fact that he owned it all now.. he tested all of them to make sure he bought the best product available on the market for upright conversions.

I like it.. but I like the look of the 911 fan more. Unfortanetly looks sell... he will have to figure out how to make the 911 fan work in the other setups. I think the bug guy's will like more "form" than function. I oculd be wrong.. but every bug engine I have seen is "Bling Bling'd" to death with chrome and such.. so.. This DTM is kinda bland.

B

The person who made the DTM was in The Rose City Volksters VW club...the one I'm still in. Joe was his name and he was a hoot and great guy! He did his research and his DTM is functional with the proper cooling ducting and such. If you want the best out there then Joe's DTM is it.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 10:47 AM