Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mallory Unilite Distributor, Where to attach the vacuum line?
Joseph Mills
post Sep 5 2003, 04:40 PM
Post #1

on a Sonoma diet now...

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

Am finally going to install my Mallory Unilite distributor (w/vacuum), and HYFIRE CD box.

I installed the lighter gray springs that alters the advance curve that is more suitable for the T4. As I understand it, the vacuum line will improve gas mileage a bit and run a little cooler also, while improving the smoothness of throttle response.

Here is my delimma:

The 44 IDFs I previously installed came with an extra hole tapped with about a M4 screw, which I assumed could be removed and fitted with a brass nipple and used for the vacuum line.

However, I have not been able to locate a small enough brass fitting (for the vacuum line) to fit into that small a hole in the carbs. I've checked hardware stores & FLAPS with zip results. Anyone know of a source for such a small size?

I am wondering if that small a size will even allow enough air to work?

An alternative I'm considering is just drilling a larger hole in the manifold itself and tap it for a larger fitting. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Anyone have experience with this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Any advice mucho appreciated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mockmaw
post Sep 6 2003, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 438

Uhh, my understanding is that you just remove the screw and slip your vacuum line over the brass extension.. that's how I've done it at least. Unfortunately, I don't have a shot of my carbs to show you what I'm talking about.

When you speak of a hole that's tapped... is it just hole in the side of your carb with a screw in it, or is the screw inserted into a small brass fitting that extends about 3/4" from the carb body?
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Sep 6 2003, 07:26 AM
Post #3

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE(Mockmaw @ Sep 6 2003, 01:12 AM)
When you speak of a hole that's tapped... is it just hole in the side of your carb with a screw in it, or is the screw inserted into a small brass fitting that extends about 3/4" from the carb body?

Yes, it is a hole in the side of the carb with a screw in it. It is listed in my Tomlinson weber manual as a "blanking" screw. It is immediately to the right of the idle mixture screw. To the left of the idle mixture screw is the air bypass screw.

My carbs do not have a brass fitting that extends 3/4". This blanking screw is about 4mm, or 3/16" - just doesn't seem like there is much room there for an air passage.

I'm beginning to think that this "blanking" screw location is not intended for a vacuum line?

If I drill and tap a hole in the manifold, any idea as to the size it should be?

Thanks.
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Sep 6 2003, 08:47 AM
Post #4

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

I think you have an old set of 44's. They did not have vac. fittings.

The question is, I think you need vaccum *above* the throttle plates - I need to do some research to find out what works the best.

The new 44 IDF's with vac. connections have a small hole that is just above the throttle plates in the carb body.

Lemmi find out.

Tom
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 10:37 AM