Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sway bars...where to find, how much, worth it?
Mockmaw
post Sep 8 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 438

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll try to keep that in mind to see if I can minimize the pain when I go to install it.

I've heard that removing the gas tank can be a real PITA because the original fuel lines are so short. Any idea what the best way is of handling this? (or is this misinformation that I've gathered?)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mockmaw
post Sep 8 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #22

Very helpful pic, thanks Andy
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 8 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

there's a big access hole from underneath the car.
very easy to get to the lines from there.
if you have the metal protecting cover for your suspension, you need to remove that first.

Andy
+Quote Post
Mockmaw
post Sep 8 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #24

I'm 99% certain that the protective plate is NOT on my car. Sounds like with a hoist cutting the lines through the access hole should be cake.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 8 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Jack the car up and remove the lines from the bottom (after pulling the splash pan off ..4 bolts) then yank the tank out. No biggie. This way it doesnt matter what the length of the lines are. After the tank is out..THEN replace the lines with something "slightly" longer if you feel they are too short. If you go to long.. the tank will pinch the lines and cause you all kinds of pressure related headaches.

B
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 8 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #26

Resident German

da hole:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
machina
post Sep 8 2003, 03:43 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

I have a weird swaybar on my car right now that bolts up to the underneath of the suspension. It attaches to the stock utabs with a bracket. It seems to work OK but only gives me about 2.5" of ground clearance. I will probably replace it with a tarret unit soon.

dr
+Quote Post
-P-
post Sep 8 2003, 03:50 PM
Post #28

P-Factor

Member No.: 873

Actual work time on mine was about 5 hours. The hardest part was cutting the holes like brad mentioned earlier, and making sure the mounts were aligned before I drilled. the fuel tank removal was surprisingly simple. The welt bar does not come with the backing plate. its around ~$20 extra.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 8 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #29

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Brad Are you suggesting that the triangle back-plates be welded in instead of just using the bolts to sandwich the well? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 8 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #30

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Yes, he is. Especially for the 22mm bar. Not a bad idea for the smaller ones, but not that necessary. It makes for a stronger attachment.

DO NOT USE the "no gas tank removal required" kit. It sucks and will tear out.

The under-body sway bar setup may be off a 911, if you have a five-bolt conversion, or it may be aftermarket like Addco or one of those. It is regarded as slightly inferior to a through-body sway bar.

Check the Pelican tech article for questions on installing the through-body sway bar.

--DD
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 8 2003, 05:26 PM
Post #31

Resident German

QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 8 2003, 02:43 PM)
I have a weird swaybar on my car right now that bolts up to the underneath of the suspension. It attaches to the stock utabs with a bracket. It seems to work OK but only gives me about 2.5" of ground clearance. I will probably replace it with a tarret unit soon.

sounds like stock 911. that's what my 86 carrera suspension came with.
it works fine, except it's not adjustable ...

Andy
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Sep 8 2003, 06:20 PM
Post #32

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

I did my front sway a couple weeks ago... wasn't too bad either. I followed the tech article from Pelican
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ont_swaybar.htm
One of the things he mentioned about the fuel lines was after you get the passenger side of the gas tank up so you can see the fuel lines just reach in & cut them since they wil be replaced anyway. That I did & it was really easy from there. A normal sized set of dykes (side cutters (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) did it quick. To cut the area for the back plate I used a 3/8ths drill bit and made about 5 holes. Then attached a metal rasp to my drill & shaped the cut out to allow enough room to get the plate & nut down in there. I think that was the hardest part. But then there was the other part of puting the bar through the bushings. The article says to bolt the outside plate with the bushings to the rear loosely. I found it didn't matter how loose it was the damn bar wasn't gonna slide thru no matter how much slick-um I had on 'em. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) I undid the top outside bolts, and let the outside plate fall forward. Then put the bushing on the bar & was able to slide the outside plate over the bushing, put in the bolts & tighten 'em up. Worked great & I didn't bust a vessel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) try'n to push that bar thru like the article suggests.
This sway bar made drivin' 100% more fun!
bruce
+Quote Post
Mockmaw
post Sep 8 2003, 08:34 PM
Post #33

Another question.. for the backing plate, do I just buy 'one' (and the package comes with plates for both sides) or do I need to buy a quantity of 'two' of the kits?
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Sep 9 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #34

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

Don't know about buying the plates... sorry.
I made mine. They were rough but they worked fine. Get some steel the same thickness as the outside mounts, trace a pattern from them & cut away! I used a hand held jig saw. Went thru 4 or 5 blades cuz I was impatient & tried to cut too fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) The bottom nut that goes into the cut away area on the inside of the fender was where you need to either spot weld or get it to stick long enough to the home made plate to get a bolt started. I used AB epoxy that sets up in 10 min.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 9 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #35

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I don't suppose youz guys wanna hear bout the .06 doubler plate I welded to the outside of the inner fender in that inverted U shape area ..............
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 9 2003, 01:19 AM
Post #36

914 Freak!

Show us pics...

B
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 9 2003, 01:46 AM
Post #37

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Did I tell ya that my wife bought this new puter for me....without akin' me bout the subject?

She decided I didn't need a floppy drive on it. All my old pics are on them floppy thingys. I'm gonna have to go buy an external floppy drive.....when I get done being pissed.

I tried puting this here drive in the puter.....wrong wire loom...got that...no mounting brackets....show stopper.
No pics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 9 2003, 01:48 AM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Ha ha ha...

I bet is has 350 USB ports tho...

B
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Sep 9 2003, 08:55 AM
Post #39

Unregistered

Do sway bars wear out or get "tired"? If they're rusty, can they be bead-blasted without harming their performance?
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Sep 9 2003, 09:48 AM
Post #40

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

Hey J P,
For the time being, just open the case up, plug it in and let the floppy drive sit on its side on top of the case or something. Hopefully the cables are long enough to give you a little play. At least it will allow you to get the pictures off the floppies and onto your hard drive or a CD if you have a burner.

Or maybe borrow someone elses computer (that still has one of those ancient floppy drives) and email the pictures to yourself?

Or lastly, if you just lay the floppies on the monitor, osmosis will generally work... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks to the common misconception (among 1 yr. olds) that the floppy drive is a great place to put anything and everything small enough to fit in it, I haven't used a floppy disk in years. Mine probably has a buck in change rattling around in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2024 - 01:03 PM