Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should carbs be a show-stopper for my 914 search?, How bad are they really?
BigDBass
post Mar 23 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Dumb Question Champion

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In my apparently endless search for the right 914, I've come upon decent candidates which I then discover have been carburated. I've basically treated that as "nothing to see here, move along", but.... what if one finds what is otherwise almost the ideal match in condition, price, color, original parts, location, except for lacking stock fuel injection?

References usually say just that it's an expensive proposition to convert back to if you manage to acquire the necessary parts. How difficult and expensive is this? What all is involved?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 23 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

It depends... carbs with a proper rebuild and a cam? Or just a set of carbs because the FI was a pain in the ass.....
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 23 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I would never let carbs keep me from buying the right car at the right price.
It is not that difficult to convert back to FI and not too expensive if you are patient in finding a system. Best would be a complete engine (running if possible) which you could strip and sell the remains. That way you get all the pieces.
The key is learning from the seller (with confidence) that the cam is stock. If not, you would have to replace the cam. In that case I would stay with the carbs until time for an engine rebuild.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 23 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

You can come see my car with Carbs. Not for sale though.
Duplicate my set up and you would be a happy camper promise.
Bring money and lots of it.
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Mar 23 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #5

Dumb Question Champion

Drat, the owner of my current prospect (that so far I REALLY like) that has me asking these questions has had the car a long time but paid for maintenance and, since he "thinks it has a carb" i doubt he knows if the cam is stock or not.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 23 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The chances are better than even that it has a stock cam in it. You have to completely disassemble the engine to change the cam, and few people do so because of the expense involved, esp. if they have to pay someone else to do it for them.

If the stock EFI comes with in the box of parts, even if it "doesn't work", then I'd certainly consider such a car. The usual causes for "EFI doesn't work" are fixable with a bit of patience and very little money. Often, it's something as stupid as one broken wire. If you're not afraid to learn how to do the necessary rewiring, or you're willing to pay for a new FI harness from Bowlsby, then swapping back to FI shouldn't be a big deal.

That said, any car the PO swapped to carbs should be very carefully inspected, and you shouldn't take the PO's word for anything. A carb swap on an otherwise stock engine shows a lack of patience or sense on the part of the PO and/or his mechanic, or an unwillingness to spend more than the minimum amount of money to maintain the car, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the car. You're very likely to have to do quite a bit of maintenance on the car immediately to make up for shoddy maintenance work in the past. Count on doing things like replacing all of the suspension bushings, all of the wheel bearings, rebuilding brake calipers, etc. These are all things that are commonly ignored by people on the minimum maintainance schedule.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 23 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #7

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Mar 23 2006, 05:32 PM)
(1) You have to completely disassemble the engine to change the cam, and few people do so because of the expense involved

(2) A carb swap on an otherwise stock engine shows a lack of patience or sense

(3) Count on doing things like replacing all of the suspension bushings, all of the wheel bearings, rebuilding brake calipers, etc. These are all things that are commonly ignored by people on the minimum maintainance schedule.

1) true
2) a carb swap on a properly prepared engine shows just the opposite.
3) This is prolly true for any car.

I've got carbs with the right linkage, cam, manifolds, headers and exhaust. It is rock solid dependable, economical, and powerful too.
+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post Mar 23 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #8

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

Also unless the cam is some redikalus grind which the stock engine does not need anyways you can convert back to fi w/no problems.
The Black car has stock d-jet w/a moderate bump on the cam and runs better w/more tq than before.
I also did a ton of flow bench work on the heads and don't think the cam alone would show the hp and tq results w/out the head work.

Jus my 2-cts.

JT
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 23 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Not another one!

QUOTE (SGB @ Mar 23 2006, 02:58 PM)
(1) You have to completely disassemble the engine to change the cam, and few people do so because of the expense involved

(3) Count on doing things like replacing all of the suspension bushings, all of the wheel bearings, rebuilding brake calipers, etc.  These are all things that are commonly ignored by people on the minimum maintainance schedule.

1) true

I've got carbs with the right linkage, cam, manifolds, headers and exhaust. It is rock solid dependable, economical, and powerful too.

Agreed, and I left unspoken that carbs (plural) on a non-stock engine simply show the guy preferred carbs. No problem with that.

On the "prolly true of any car", I say, "not necessarily". My '71 came to me with a crappy single progressive Weber, which ran like crap. However, the wheel bearings, suspension bushings, tie-rods, etc. had all been replaced recently. The PPO (the guy I bought it from had only had it for 18 months before a 912 caught his eye), had gone through the car and done quite a few things "correctly". Even though it was a '71, it had a later passenger seat that had adjustable seat rails nicely welded in, and a later backpad to match. It had been repainted with a middling paintjob. Basically, the PPO had treated the car well. The only thing the PO did was to remove the perfectly working D-Jet because he thought the wiring harness "seemed brittle", and stuck on that crappy Weber.

The car was fortunate I got the car away from this guy, before he did any more damage.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 23 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (SGB @ Mar 23 2006, 02:58 PM)

(3) Count on doing things like replacing all of the suspension bushings, all of the wheel bearings, rebuilding brake calipers, etc.  These are all things that are commonly ignored by people on the minimum maintainance schedule.

1) true

"a carb swap on a properly prepared engine shows just the opposite."

thats usually not the case with 914's as DPO refuse to "fix" Djet and swap in a carb or set of carbs as a "easy fix". Even mechanics swap carbs in cuz "they are soo much better than FI". Usually the mechcanic doesn't have the training or knowledge on how to fix Djet.

or you have a mechanic butcher the Djet so it runs way too lean and a valve seat drops (See Blairs Black car).
+Quote Post
Rrrockhound
post Mar 23 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,213

QUOTE (BigDBass @ Mar 23 2006, 05:13 PM)
Drat, the owner of my current prospect (that so far I REALLY like) that has me asking these questions has had the car a long time but paid for maintenance and, since he "thinks it has a carb" i doubt he knows if the cam is stock or not.

If you haven't seen the car yet, don't assume it's got carbs just because the present owner says it does. Sometimes dealers who don't know any better assume the FI is a carburetor. It happened to me.
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Mar 23 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #12

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi

I have always thought the same way, stock or nuthin.
So what I did was I kept the origional motor, with the origional injection, then bought a complete engine, tin and accessories included, played with that one, went carbs and cam, liked it so much I kept it.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

Looking back (14 years) this was a good thing to do ... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
My car is going for sale, and the extra selling point is the OEM equipment. I recommend this to anyone owning an antique car. Kinda gives a nice insurance policy if interest or market changes.
If you buy a carbed 914, and want to go back to FI, you have to expect some seroius $$$ if you plan to buy part by part.

My car is 90% stock, except the motor, I love the sound. performance, feel, of my Dells sucking my air out of the cab (open top, no rain gutter). I wouldn't go back. I think no matter wich way you go its a win/win situation. Its a 914. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

+Karma for your search
Later

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 23 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Depending on the car's engine size (ie 1.7,1.8, or 2.0), I may be able to help with an engine with the stock FI intact if you're interested. PM me, I'm right by O'Hare Airport.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Mar 23 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #14

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

May I stir things up a bit?

KT
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Mar 23 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #15

Dumb Question Champion

QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 23 2006, 11:27 PM)
May I stir things up a bit?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) By all means, do.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Mar 24 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #16

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

First off, I've not seen any data that there are any differences between any of the motors that used d-jet, l-jet or factory dual Solexs.

I've seen stock cammed motors that run fantastic.
( beat me at the a/x, too ) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Carbs need an intial set-up and if the jets are wrong it will always run bad.

Going back to F.I. isn't big $$$.
You can buy my entire great running 2.0 with complete d-jet and exhaust for $1500.

I like the raw feel and sound of carbs.
The arguement that carbs are hard starting is just not something I'm experiencing here.

If you find a really nice car and it has carbs and runs well...You buy it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 24 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #17

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

If my car had FI when I bought it, I don't think I would intentionally carburate it. But the FI was gone. It ran pretty well with stock everything except weber 40 IDA carbs. HOWEVER, after putting the proper cam in AND manilfold AND heat exchengers AND muffler, the difference was quite amazing. I've actually never driveb a 914 with fuel injection.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 24 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #18

Not another one!

QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 23 2006, 10:07 PM)
First off, I've not seen any data that there are any differences between any of the motors that used d-jet, l-jet or factory dual Solexs.

I've seen stock cammed motors that run fantastic.
( beat me at the a/x, too ) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Carbs need an intial set-up and if the jets are wrong it will always run bad.

Going back to F.I. isn't big $$$.
You can buy my entire great running 2.0 with complete d-jet and exhaust for $1500.

I like the raw feel and sound of carbs.
The arguement that carbs are hard starting is just not something I'm experiencing here.

If you find a really nice car and it has carbs and runs well...You buy it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)

KT

The Euro 1.8s with Solexes ran a totally different tune than the US 1.8s with L-Jet. Much higher compression, for one thing.

I wouldn't expect big differences in engine tune between D-Jet and L-Jet.

AX isn't a power game, so carbs v. FI aren't really an issue. Getting good power and good drivability and good mileage is very difficult with carbs. You can have all three with EFI.
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Mar 24 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 623

Carbs or FI aside. If you look at the rest of the car for a moment and disregard what type of fuel delivery...and find a real nice rust free car...I'd be inclined to buy it for the right price. Let's be real here...914's are over 30 years old now. A rust free carbed 914 wouldn't scare me away by any means! If you really want the FI...buy the bits...and put it back on. The chassis is way more important than the fuel delievery system.

Bill
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Mar 24 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Rusty car with FI vs. rust free with carbs? Motors are swappable.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 07:46 PM