Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who's got the oldest 914?, bored...
burton73
post Feb 19 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #61

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

My dad was leasing cars way before that. I remember a 63 Chevy and a 67 Cougar XR-7 that I paid off the leasing Company $500 to buy it at lease end for my graduation present. (My dad made me work a little for it) That was in 71 so I guess my dad was getting 4-year leases back then. Blue, blue leather with a blue top.

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 19 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #62

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Bob, I really need the chassis number and paint code from 0041. Carefully look at the paint code on the Karmann badge. 0033 has what appears to be 29 / 29. No idea why the code is doubled. Chassis # is in the rear trunk floor in front of the lock, should be 1300xx (#0033 was 130008) You might want to see if there is a similar # on the underside of the dash (it should have an extra '0' in it to designate the year).

As far as the chassis # vs VIN # sequencing, my hypothesis is that the bodies were welded up, and assigned a chassis/body # in sequence before they were painted. The Karmann badge would be installed after painting, then they were generally warehoused until a body of that color was required for the final assembly line. I suspect the VIN was assigned soon after beginning final assembly since the VIN tag on the windshield frame would be difficult to install after the glass is in place. We see photos of the assembly line, and the glass is in place rather early on. The chassis/body number can be well out of sequence with the VIN, or they may be sequential. I agree that there was little regard paid to keeping the chassis/body # in sequence with the VIN #. It does happen, but only rarely. More likely it was last in first out. It would be fascinating to get factual data from an assembly line worker.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 19 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #63

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The oldest production I know of is; Dec. 1 1969,
owner; Glenn Stazak
Website; http://www.stazak.com/914

One of my customers just bought #11 and is restoring it so that would be the first 914-6 off the line.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 19 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #64

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

Bob, it seems you have a very early car. Any thoughts about bringing it back to the original color vs. the gemini blue?
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 19 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #65

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Dave, I will get you all of this but you need to give me some time as it is on the lift next door. I have ordered the paperwork from Porsche 3 weeks ago so that will give us some ideas.

Eric, I know you had a nice yellow 914-6 car before.. I no not mind yellow but I love Metallic blue and Cork. When I put the wide body on it changes it anyway and with all the mods done to this car it is not even the same engine case it came with. My thought is for me why not have what I really want in color. I am not going to enter this car in shows for originality. You have seen the Metallic blue 916, they sent it back to the factory and had the car repainted that color.

Bob
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 19 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #66

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(davep @ Feb 19 2007, 11:59 PM) *

Bob, I really need the chassis number and paint code from 0041. Carefully look at the paint code on the Karmann badge. 0033 has what appears to be 29 / 29. No idea why the code is doubled. Chassis # is in the rear trunk floor in front of the lock, should be 1300xx (#0033 was 130008) You might want to see if there is a similar # on the underside of the dash (it should have an extra '0' in it to designate the year).

As far as the chassis # vs VIN # sequencing, my hypothesis is that the bodies were welded up, and assigned a chassis/body # in sequence before they were painted. The Karmann badge would be installed after painting, then they were generally warehoused until a body of that color was required for the final assembly line. I suspect the VIN was assigned soon after beginning final assembly since the VIN tag on the windshield frame would be difficult to install after the glass is in place. We see photos of the assembly line, and the glass is in place rather early on. The chassis/body number can be well out of sequence with the VIN, or they may be sequential. I agree that there was little regard paid to keeping the chassis/body # in sequence with the VIN #. It does happen, but only rarely. More likely it was last in first out. It would be fascinating to get factual data from an assembly line worker.

Veddddy interesting stuff here. Remarkable.

Little did Hans and Gunther know , when they traipsed out to retrieve another body on the trolley buck from a corner of the yard....that they could be conceivably creating so much discussion thirty five years later over some such silly thing as NUMBERS.

After all, they were only concerned with getting the stinkin' job done, and making another run out back to get another body in white to put on the assembly line.

That and maybe thinking about the nice little bier hall girl

down at the "Eagles Nest" getting ready to spread around a few more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) for her customers at the end of shift.

Hans and Gunther are probably somewhere going:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

and here we are:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

What a world !!!!

this is GREAT
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 20 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #67

914 Historian

Here is another tidbit concerning chassis numbers, there is at least one 1970 914/6 with a 1971 body number.
+Quote Post
proto31
post Feb 20 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 5,515
Region Association: None

I've got #31. Dave, sorry I haven't gotten back to you with the paint codes, I am still trying to get the Karman badge from the PO (he claims that he stored them somewhere before he started restoring it.) The VIN is stamped in the usual place up front but also has the VIN stamped in the rear passanger side wheel well. The car came with a funky wiring harness that has some additional connectors for testing on it that looked to be factory. The front fender had no seam between them and the windshield panel. So far that all that I can tells that is different with this car.

Dan
+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 4 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #69

914 Historian

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
It is time to get more data from you fellows. I'd particularly like to learn more from each 1969 production car. Even more so from 9140430011. Eric?
+Quote Post
loux951
post Jan 4 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #70

NOLA 914

Member No.: 758
Region Association: South East States

I'll have to look at my VIN when I get home...it was built in '69 with a number around 1400.

I've actually had my hands on the very first 914 off the production line. Its sitting in the VW museum, AutoHauz, in Wolfsburg, Germany. I have a picture of it in a book I bought at the museum. I'll scan it and post it here. No one was around so I reached in and popped open the engine lid to check it out (my buddy with me thought we would get kicked out and ran off!) The outside restoration looks good but I was really disappointed with the engine bay resto. This was back in March 2002.
+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 4 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #71

914 Historian

Whoa, we need to learn more about that one!
We need to have someone go in to get more details, however we need the address for that.

At 1400 yours is definitely in 1969.

Dave
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 4 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #72

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 4 2008, 02:31 PM) *

Whoa, we need to learn more about that one!
We need to have someone go in to get more details, however we need the address for that.

http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/sammlung.html

it helps if you spell "Autohaus" correctly ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 4 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #73

914 Historian

So how can we get detailed info on this 914? Anyone in the area that we know?
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Jan 4 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 1,896

Erik's Great Pumpkin

# 1121 built Dec 1969

oh yeah guys, it runs and he is only 14.... eat your hearts out.
+Quote Post
Slider
post Jan 5 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #75

Problems are like cockroaches you find 1 and theres a 100 more

Member No.: 7,591

Remember that with the factory assigning vins they could have been assigned right off during production to track the progress of the car or since they already had the chassis number they might have assigned the VIN towards the end after the motor and trans were in and using the VIN to heirarchy the chassis,engine and Transmission numbers together. I agree with what was stated earlier that they picked the chassis's at random they were not tryoing to keep things in numerical order. even at the factory they could have a higher number chassis with a low VIN.. its all part of manufacturing.. I did it with electronics for 7 years..
+Quote Post
morph
post Jan 5 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #76

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

1-70
47029002344 is in my garage
james

+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 5 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #77

914 Historian

Somewhere around 4702902000 was the change from 12/69 to 01/70.
Can everyone update their replies with the body # and paint code from the Karmann badge please. Those numbers are very important to my research.
+Quote Post
keske968
post Jan 5 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 6,778

not getting outta bed to check my Karmann number or the trunk but I can tell you mine is pretty old from what I've been reading here....

VIN # 4702902950

Body Number 0259562

Paint Code L80E (thinking about having it repainted to the origional color)

now converted to a six
+Quote Post
loux951
post Jan 6 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #79

NOLA 914

Member No.: 758
Region Association: South East States

Andy,

I'm cajun...not german. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 6 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #80

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Any pictures of the 914 at the VW museum?
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 09:11 AM