Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fixin' up, locksmith yest
rhodyguy
post Sep 16 2003, 05:22 AM
Post #1

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

it was very interesting watching him work. i had a good replacement switch w/key. without a key to retract the collum lock it would be a real pain to remove the old cyl. he found a blank that fit. he then wiggles the key back and forth to leave a slight impression of the tumblers. he patiently hand files to get the switch to turn. "reads" the key on this gauge. then looks up the factory code and cuts the new key to factory spec's. so now i have as new key(s) for the new cyl and he fine tuned the key for the exsisting trunk, glove box, fr trunk pull, and drivers side door. excellent. when you have a copy of an old key made at the hardware store that's what you get. a new old key. a heartly recommendation. GUARDIAN SECURITY GROUP, INC.

eagle eye dave hunt diagnosed the rear trunk prob. the old hinge bracket let go on the dr side. it was already fatigued. but that's not my problem. short drive yest. runs and shifts fine. haven't jacked it up for the visual.

i also swapped the old wiper/turn switch. now the auto cancel works on the turn signals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

kevin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mharrison
post Sep 16 2003, 06:48 AM
Post #2

Why do I bother????

Member No.: 1,123

I've seen two locksmiths use the method of imprinting the key then hand-filing. They were both probably doing the same thing with skeleton keys 60 years ago! I think that is an old-school technique and like most things that are old-school....highly effective and practically a lost art.
+Quote Post
applescotty
post Sep 16 2003, 08:49 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 440

My uncle is a locksmith. I've gone on several calls with him where a driver has left the keys on his seat. My uncle will pull out a key blank and by looking at the key through the window and using some type of handheld cutter, will cut a key that pretty much always works the first time. The customer is always amazed.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th October 2024 - 01:52 PM