Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rich & CO, Deck Height Pics
McMark
post Apr 22 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Here's the tool:

Attached Image

Here it is in a cylinder as you would check deck height.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Apr 22 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,091

I've always wondered how that measurement should be taken. Thanks for the pics. How does this relate to the heads and how they are treated during a rebuild and how is compression affected by these variables? Also, don't forget to zero the caliper by extending the depth gauge slightly and then seating it against a perfectly flat and clean surface.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 22 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

This necessarily the best way to measure deck height, but for most stock type rebuilds it will work fine.

This measurement * pi * cylinder diameter + head cc + piston pocket/dome volume will let you calculate compression ratio.

More deck height equals lower compression (fuel/air isn't compressed into such a small space). Less deck height equals higher compression.

The more your heads have been flycut (which removes material and reduces combustion chamber volume) the more deck height you'll need in order to compensate to keep the CR to 8.5:1 for stock FI.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 22 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

here is a C/R calculator

http://www.wheelspin.net/calc/calc2.html
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Apr 22 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #5

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231

This is what I use, to bring it up to TDC, then I use a depth gauge.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brando
post Apr 22 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #6

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648

if you have domed or dished pistons, I assume you would measure from the highest part of the piston, no?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 22 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #7

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219

QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 22 2006, 09:50 PM) *

if you have domed or dished pistons, I assume you would measure from the highest part of the piston, no?

that is calculated in Dome or Dish part of the calculator
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 22 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I think Blair got some better photos, all I had was my cell phone. Here's Rich battling the ring compressor. Troy on the right.

How far did you guys get tonight?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Apr 22 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #9

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

I borrowed a depth gauge that was real easy to use.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Apr 22 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 22 2006, 09:50 PM) *

NO, wether a dome or dish, for deck heigth, you would measure the flat side out side of the dome or dish. For the compression ratio, you would then either add -cc for a dome piston or +cc for a dish, to the chamber cc's, to figure the correct C/R.

Example: In my picture I have a flat top, the Deck Heigth, is .015", used for the C/R calculations, but I have +8cc in the valve reliefs, so I add the +8cc to the Head cc, which is 48cc, so for the C/R calculations the head cc is 56cc.
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Apr 22 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 22 2006, 10:22 PM) *

Hi Mark

I, dial indicate the piston to TDC, to get an exact reading of the deck heigth, I too have a depth gauge like yours, except it has a 6" base, what I used to do V8 motors.

Trying to eye ball TDC, you can be up to .001" to .003" off on TDC, which throws C/R calculations off.
+Quote Post
messix
post Apr 23 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #12

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

the short block is together, the heads are coming offthe engine thats still in the car. between the shmucks ring compressor and spiro locks, we looked like the short buss brought us to school. spent to much time b.s'n!
+Quote Post
MattR
post Apr 23 2006, 03:37 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Apr 22 2006, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 22 2006, 10:22 PM) *

Hi Mark

I, dial indicate the piston to TDC, to get an exact reading of the deck heigth, I too have a depth gauge like yours, except it has a 6" base, what I used to do V8 motors.

Trying to eye ball TDC, you can be up to .001" to .003" off on TDC, which throws C/R calculations off.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I happen to be lucky and have a dial gauge and depth gauge in my garage. Thats what I used on my engine.

I'd also like to add the importance of torquing the cylinders to the block.

Mark, I know you're clear in what you say about it being fine for stock rebuilds, but I really dont think a caliper is the right tool for the job. There are many machine shops with depth gauges that would probably let you use them for free if you ask.

+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Apr 23 2006, 07:45 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Good going you guys. I wish I could have come up. It looks like fun.

Dave
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 23 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #15

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

AAron,

Cowpullers are fine... With Starret's they are dead nuts, with el cheapo harbor freights, they are +/- .001.

You want to do two things. One, establish deck height depth more or less (for volume calcs) , and two, compare deck height on all 4 cylinders.

Remember this my friend, even if the calipers .... er Cowpullers are rated +/- .001, the variance from cylinder to cylinder are probably closer. Why? That tolerance is for any mesurement UP TO 6 INCHES. For measurements less than 6 inches, the readings should be better. Yes, I agree, on cheap stuff, there can be tolerances of +/- .001 on readings less than 6 inches, but if you are measuring approximately the same dimension from cylinder to cylinder, the readings should be tightly grouped for better accuracy than that.

Don't believe it? Sit down with a box of precison guage pins AND a caliper. Betcha you can get the same measurement off the same pin time after time. It may be off +/-.001 for el cheapo's but the same resut should show time after time. Go a little over or under on pin size and I bet it tracks off the original mesurement. That is, if the first pin diameter is .001 over, the next smaller pin diameter reading should also be .001 over as well, and the next pin size over original should track at .001 over.

Ken
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 23 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #16

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks to all that stopped by to pitch in (& McMark ) indeed after all the measuring math and assembly Blair came up with a 9.6 to 1 CR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Im gonna spend today yanking out the 2.0 and stripping it and applying those heads to the 1911. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
BTW the freaking Ring compressor experiance reinforces why you buy quality tools (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 23 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #17

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

after 0 decking it, what did you wind up with for a final deck height? what were the cc#s for the heads?

k
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 23 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Sounds reasonable. Now use your numbers and the compression ratio calculator and change the deck height until you get the compression ratio you want. Looks like you'll probably need around a 1 mm shim to get 8.5:1, and half as much (0.5mm) for 9:1.

Did you compare the deck height readings for all four cylinders?
+Quote Post
MattR
post Apr 23 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 23 2006, 07:44 AM) *

AAron,

Cowpullers are fine... With Starret's they are dead nuts, with el cheapo harbor freights, they are +/- .001.

You want to do two things. One, establish deck height depth more or less (for volume calcs) , and two, compare deck height on all 4 cylinders.

Remember this my friend, even if the calipers .... er Cowpullers are rated +/- .001, the variance from cylinder to cylinder are probably closer. Why? That tolerance is for any mesurement UP TO 6 INCHES. For measurements less than 6 inches, the readings should be better. Yes, I agree, on cheap stuff, there can be tolerances of +/- .001 on readings less than 6 inches, but if you are measuring approximately the same dimension from cylinder to cylinder, the readings should be tightly grouped for better accuracy than that.

Don't believe it? Sit down with a box of precison guage pins AND a caliper. Betcha you can get the same measurement off the same pin time after time. It may be off +/-.001 for el cheapo's but the same resut should show time after time. Go a little over or under on pin size and I bet it tracks off the original mesurement. That is, if the first pin diameter is .001 over, the next smaller pin diameter reading should also be .001 over as well, and the next pin size over original should track at .001 over.

Ken

The tolerance is not dependednt on the length measured. If its rated up to 6" with a +/- .001" tolerance, that does not mean a 1" measurement is only +/- .00017". Thats how the system works...

The problem with calipers; they are an awkward tool to measure with in this application. They are perfect for measuring the length of a part or the diameter, but when you're trying to measure depth, there is no proper way to mount the caliper to get consistent readings. For example, your caliper can rock back and fourth because the reading surface is very narrow, which causes for huge discrepancies.

Like I said, a depth gauge sits perfectly perpendicular to the measuring surface and there is no room for human error.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2024 - 12:55 PM