Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PMS bar mount failure, the picture
grantsfo
post Apr 26 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #201

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

Now I'm convinced. Sell the six and buy a Raby T4.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Apr 26 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #202

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 26 2006, 08:35 PM) *

And Bill, who is it that is still building that killer 914? I think it is called the Beast or something like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

Who better than I to give advice on building a killer 914! Trekkor has said he will never go racing...therefore the car will always break...ergo...he should buy a 911, which won't break.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Actually Trekkor, you should buy The Beast™! I'll be posting pics of the 2.7, but when I opened it up it really looks good in there...the motor I'm building is gonna rock!

Ah...I'm just kidding Trekkor....I love my 2 914's...otherwise I wouldn't still have them.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Bill P.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a V8 914 or a Sheridan Kit 914 track car?
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 26 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #203

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Sell the six and buy a Raby T4.

I never saw that coming...Out of nowhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

For anybody that's interested:
Cal Contractor general engineering classifications

KT
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Apr 26 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #204

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 26 2006, 08:44 PM) *

Sell the six and buy a Raby T4.

I never saw that coming...Out of nowhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

For anybody that's interested:
Cal Contractor general engineering classifications

KT

No worrying about safety, welding credentials, bulkhead or bar, etc. Just a simple safe install. Is this a Koolaide smiley? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 26 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #205

I do things...

Nope, Bombay Saphire GT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Series9
post Apr 26 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #206

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I did check my mount, as I do regularly. I expect there could be a failure, but don't necessarily expect one.

It's fine so far. If mine fails, I'll attempt a fix (I have some ideas for the reinforcement of the piece) and then replace it with a firewall mount if it starts to fail again.

You guys can be pretty dramatic on shit like this. I agree that the torsional stresses on this bar are significant, but to imply the problem can't be rectified with additional engineering is a little silly.

The original 'Quick 6'(from another company) mounts never fail and they have similar torsional issues. The only difference is that they overcome these stresses with large amounts of thick steel.

I'm not affiliated with PMS, but have found their products to be of high quality.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Apr 27 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #207

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Clearly PMS has some nice products. What I can't understand is how they could take any failure of their products lightly. The world is full of talented engineers and fabricators that can literally make anything you can imagine, all it takes is time and money. The only thing that separates one company from another is reputation and track record. As much as I try, I just can't understand how ANY company could let something like this happen without being profoundly concerned and exceptionally accommodating.

PMS should have a new bulkhead mount in the mail to you at no cost, as a goodwill gesture. Look at all the trouble you have to go through because of the failure of their product. Sure, they can say they fired some crack head welder a while back because of shoddy work, but it's about taking responsibility for what you produce. Every time we buy a product, we put our trust and faith in the company that produced and sold it. I'd hate to think that in a market as specialized as Porsche conversion parts that they feel it's ok to turn a blind eye to their client base.

How many sales do you think they've lost every time a thread like this comes up? How many customers will they never have because Mike Z. had a poor experience with them? Unfortunately it's a case where they have enough customers, and evidently enough money coming in, that they don't have to care about every customer. When your name is on the part, I'd think pride should be more of a concern than money.

You know very well that PMS is following this thread, but we've never heard a word from them, and this is hardly the first time something like this has happened. That's because time is money, and no one is paying them to care about what people think. Every once in a while we all need to take a step back and remember that it's not about the cars, this is all about people, and their passion for cars.

Ok, rant over
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Apr 27 2006, 06:21 AM
Post #208

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Apr 27 2006, 02:40 AM) *

PMS should have a new bulkhead mount in the mail to you at no cost, as a goodwill gesture. Look at all the trouble you have to go through because of the failure of their product. Sure, they can say they fired some crack head welder a while back because of shoddy work, but it's about taking responsibility for what you produce. Every time we buy a product, we put our trust and faith in the company that produced and sold it. I'd hate to think that in a market as specialized as Porsche conversion parts that they feel it's ok to turn a blind eye to their client base.

Ok. I reviewed the PMS website and saw no mention of warranty on their products. It may be there somewhere, but I couldn't find anything. However, that is probably immaterial.

From what Trekkor is relaying here, Jim Patrick has taken some interest in finding out what occurred. This may be more than he is really required to do. Let’s not forget that Trekkor bought this product used from another party. PMS has no idea what this mount has been through before it got installed in Trekkor’s car. If there was any warranty to begin with, I doubt that it was transferable.

Hey Trekkor, have you considered a bulk head mount? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 27 2006, 06:38 AM
Post #209

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Now we are going from the sublime to the ridiculous

It's called "Punch Drunk" from 11 pages of seemingly improbable debate.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 27 2006, 07:30 AM
Post #210

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Apr 26 2006, 11:40 PM) *

How many sales do you think they've lost every time a thread like this comes up? How many customers will they never have because Mike Z. had a poor experience with them?

I just think the guy is a dickhead, that sells a crappy designed part(s) and won't stand behind his product..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

That's not an experience, it's an opinion.....I've never bought from the guy. Just talked to him and have had associates that have been hosed by him.....same with AA.

Bullshitters stink can be smelled across State lines.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 27 2006, 08:08 AM
Post #211

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

how many 6 mounts are actually sold each year(new)? split the sales #s between rj and pms, and it's slim pickings for the manufacturers. my guess is there is a bunch of new stock, sitting on shelves from the last production run (when ever that may have been). as a vendor, you would think all items would have to be blasted, welds ground out, rewelded, or just thown in the recycle bin. start fresh. forget a q.c. inspection.

there is obviously a flaw in the manu process. i've seen concrete tilt walls (we're talking tons) with relatively small attachment points, welded with square bar stock and stick rods, backed into with trucks, and they don't fall over. i wonder if pms does the work in house or if it's farmed out?

k
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Apr 27 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #212

Member No.: 487

Maybe I missed it, but did PMS respond to you yet Trekkor??
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 27 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #213

I do things...

We've not spoken in a while. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Since I told him I wasn't returning the broken bar, it seems he's lost interest.

I've called and left messages. He called back once, but I was away from the phone.

Maybe I'll call him again today.

I'm not really sure what I should expect.
I really think he needs to use a bar and gusset with thicker guage metal.
Or include a bolt on diagonal brace that goes between the mount cradle and the firewal to prevent torsional movement.

That's what I plan to do after the weld repair is done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 27 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #214

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Several here have stated they've seen 0 failures with the Rich Johnson mount. Well, I saw one. It was on a car with a hotted up 3.0, and the failure was cracking on one of the mounting ears that bolt to the engine. It was fixed with a reinforcement plate before anything bad happened. So, they CAN fail, even if it is a rare thing. Trekkor's 2.0 also doesn't put out anything like the torque of a 3.0, either.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 27 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #215

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

so i'm driving down 880 in the 914 to work this morning, nice morning, top off, cruising at 60 in the middle lane. i'm enjoying the ride and the world seems to be a good place to be. get a few thumbs up from strangers. a kid in a dodge ram with flowmaster exhaust thinks he's driving a race car and wants me to turn 880 into a drag strip during thursday morning rush hour. i laugh at him and he takes off. i feel good knowing i made his day. he raced a porsha and won, i'm sure it'll be the talk of the day. traffic was light and taking the offramp onto 92 at 65 put a big grin on my face. it was high tide and only a light breeze over the bay. the water almost looked like a mirror and the mist had yet to be burned off by the rising sun. the air smelled fresh and moist. i watched a few airplanes heading towards SFO as i crossed the san mateo bridge. it's amazing how beautiful this place is, especially in the morning. and the fact that i was in my 914 with the top down didn't hurt either. got to work in time and got myself a fresh coffee from the armenian coffee shop around the corner. someone had mowed the lawn last night and the fresh cut grass smelled like spring. it's supposed to be in the 80s today. can't wait to get back into the car for the ride home.

what was this thread about again?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 27 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #216

I do things...

Trekkor's 2.0 also doesn't put out anything like the torque of a 3.0, either.

That's why I think actually having welds on the mount solves the problem with the PMS bar.

Of course, time will tell. Popcorn, anyone?

KT
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 27 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #217

I do things...

what was this thread about again?

That...What you wrote. Doing it. Driving 'em.

that was perfect. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
carr914
post Apr 27 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #218

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

OK you guys are scaring me. Where do you buy the RJ mount and how much?

T.C.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 27 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #219

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

OK you guys are scaring me. Where do you buy the RJ mount and how much?

It's been posted a couple times, but buried pretty deep now I guess...

http://www.914conversions.com/html/mount.html

Simple, cheap, the right thing to do. Just git-r-done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Apr 27 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #220

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 27 2006, 11:03 AM) *

so i'm driving down 880 in the 914 to work this morning, nice morning, top off, cruising at 60 in the middle lane. i'm enjoying the ride and the world seems to be a good place to be. get a few thumbs up from strangers. a kid in a dodge ram with flowmaster exhaust thinks he's driving a race car and wants me to turn 880 into a drag strip during thursday morning rush hour. i laugh at him and he takes off. i feel good knowing i made his day. he raced a porsha and won, i'm sure it'll be the talk of the day. traffic was light and taking the offramp onto 92 at 65 put a big grin on my face. it was high tide and only a light breeze over the bay. the water almost looked like a mirror and the mist had yet to be burned off by the rising sun. the air smelled fresh and moist. i watched a few airplanes heading towards SFO as i crossed the san mateo bridge. it's amazing how beautiful this place is, especially in the morning. and the fact that i was in my 914 with the top down didn't hurt either. got to work in time and got myself a fresh coffee from the armenian coffee shop around the corner. someone had mowed the lawn last night and the fresh cut grass smelled like spring. it's supposed to be in the 80s today. can't wait to get back into the car for the ride home.

Very descriptive- Have you ever thought of writing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th July 2024 - 03:50 PM