Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad GT flare install? Look at the front flare...., looks strange and unbalanced..blue GT car on Craigslist
Aaron Cox
post Aug 6 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #21

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

here is something to think about..... (only affects rear placement)

ride height, at stock ride height, the trailing arm is poibted downward at a moderate angle.....

when you lower/slam your car, the trailing arm is almost level, and this arc that the trailing arm makes changes the relative position of the wheel in the front/back (X direction) of the car...

so if you measured a car at stock rideheight, the rear fenders would be closer to the door, measure a lowered flared racer, you would see they sit further back.... ((IF THEY ARE CENTERED ON THE WHEEL))

just a little brain storm.

so... maybe the rockers are designed to accomadate the rears at stcok height, and mess up the front placement... i dont know
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 25 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #22

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414

What is the right rocker for Georges flares? 914 Sixer said “If you use the flared rockers as a reference point for the fenders you will not be centered on the wheels. All the flared rockers are off by about 1-2 inches. I centered my steel flares on the wheel opening. I took a set of AIR flares (pos) and spliced them on another set of fiberglass rockers to make everything line up.” Phoenix-MN has the drawing with the measurements of body parts. The problem is when I want to put 7 and 9 16in under the body it will not fit unless I pre cut the body. I take it that everything needs to be massaged to fit. If my flares looked like the blue car that I guess is Joes I would be pissed off at least as far as the front fender goes. It looks like the shot is dead on to the front fender. It is a detail like that that I would blame myself. I am bugged where the paint does not match perfect on my 86 blue cab. Carrera. I see it all the time.

Bob Burton
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Jan 25 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #23

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

I used Getty rockers. The dimensions were almost perfect.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 25 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Aug 6 2006, 06:20 AM) *

Depends on the rockers that you get. I used the dimensions that were measured off a 916 and a 914GT and everything lined up as it should. Check the dimesions on centering over the wheel opening vs. these. I bought several different sets of rockers before I got ones that were right.

this is another one of my "cartoons" showing everyone that I cannot draw! But yes these measurements were taken from our 916 and our m 471 and are as accurate as the factory could make them (notice the discrepency in the measurements!)
+Quote Post
BAM
post Jan 25 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #25

Don’t sweat the small stuff !!!

Member No.: 7,442

Wow sorry guys, I missed this thread when it first started… Just now getting back into the whole posting thing... You know the kids, work and other stuff...

Yes, Joe is my brother and yes that is a pic of his car the day it was brought home. I’ll try to answer all the questions (well the best I can).

Regarding the flare alignment: The flares were installed by a friend of ours who owned a body shop in Hayward (has since packed up and moved), he has painted all our cars over that last five or six years. He aligned the flares to the tires when he installed them. My opinion is that the fronts may sit back a little, but the picture in the post does not do it justice. Please note that the suspension was put on just to get it to the shop for paint, nothing was tightened or aligned. That may have added to the misalignment in the picture. Some of you may have seen the car at the German Autofest last year, it did quite well…

Yah Mueller, I can’t believe you’re talking about Joe like that… I’m tellin… HaHaHa!!!! We still love ya.

Joe found the Painter on Craig’s List… Young guy, still in school (College of Alameda, learning auto body)… Good kid, works out of a family members shop (not a body shop) in Oakland. The guy is eager to learn and a hard worker just lacks the experience. Joe’s paint came out good, just not excellent. All-in-all the car looks great now that it is done (and out of my garage)… I’ll add a pic at the end of this note.

The interior is a light cream, seats, dash, door panels, with tan carpets… The two tone colors really look good with the Blue exterior.

Yes, we got the 3.2l from Marty’s VW Vanagons, we also installed a set of Marty’s headers. The engine runs great and the car runs hard, lots of fun…

Mark – That is true, we had to do the same thing with our AIR flared rockers. After the flares were installed we spliced the rockers to make everything line up. No big deal…

I hope that answered all the questions… I’ll search for a side shot of the car… Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks JP

Attached Image

+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 25 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #26

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 25 2007, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Aug 6 2006, 06:20 AM) *

Depends on the rockers that you get. I used the dimensions that were measured off a 916 and a 914GT and everything lined up as it should. Check the dimesions on centering over the wheel opening vs. these. I bought several different sets of rockers before I got ones that were right.

this is another one of my "cartoons" showing everyone that I cannot draw! But yes these measurements were taken from our 916 and our m 471 and are as accurate as the factory could make them (notice the discrepency in the measurements!)

Where is the cartoon? Or is Phoenix-Mn cartoons Georges? What rockers do you think we should get George?

Thanks,

Bob
+Quote Post
jfort
post Jan 26 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 24 2007, 10:11 PM) *

PRS, do you have a picture? what size wheels and tires? what rockers? i am getting started on mine
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Jan 27 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #28

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

QUOTE(jfort @ Jan 26 2007, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 24 2007, 10:11 PM) *

PRS, do you have a picture? what size wheels and tires? what rockers? i am getting started on mine

I'm using 9's in the back (245's) and 951 8's in the front (225's).

Here are a few pics.

FYI.......Everything ties in together on the flare install. You need the front valance and bumper, the rockers and the flares + a rear valance if you use one. (we made one). Try your best to locate the flares where they belong and shuffle the other parts to match. If you move any one part, everything moves. For instance, if you move the front flare, it moves the rocker and front valance which moves the rear flare. The valance is tied to the bumper and on GT applications and if moved it will mess up the alignment of the oil cooler opening and the bumper location. It's a huge juggling game to get it all correct and get the arch in the rockers to match the arch in the flares and still keep it located properly. You won't get it perfect and it will take many hours of work to get it right but it's worth the effort. It's a frustrating experience.....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 10:59 PM