Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 parts investment potential?, Time to stash parts?
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 19 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I acquired my 1974 2.0L in September 1998. I have just maintained it in good order, sorted most of its quirks and enjoyed driving it. Its a really fun car as you know, even in stock form. It has appreciated probably 15-20% if you dont include regular maintenance costs - tires, batteries etc. Beats the money market...lately anyway.

In that time I have also been mystified at how certain prices have gone into the stratosphere, while otheres have just climbed following ‘normal’ escalation. For instance certain parts I bought just a couple years ago have doubled, tripled and more in just a couple years time. Has anyone else noticed this too? Got more examples? Makes me want to stockpile certain parts and then sell them in a couple years to help pay for this ‘hobby’. For instance:

2-3 years ago Now
Front turn signal lenses $20/pr $60/pr
Rear USA lenses $55 each stratosphere
Synchros $23 each $80 each
Front windshield rubber $120 stratosphere
NEW MPS $250 $750
Silver engine grille letters $45 $80
New dashcap $350 $600

For instance I think other parts may do this too soon:

OEM 2.0L Fuch center caps
F/R bumper tops
OEM dashcaps
Engine tin rubber
Euro lenses
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 19 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

I think anything that is damagable or wears that goes NLA will be a pretty good investment. I think that lenses and the like will be particularly strong investments...if you can actually think 914 and investment with the same brain.

Along a similiar vien, I know of a gentleman who singlehandedly pushed all the early '90s RS America model identifiers (the "RS America" script, the "RS", and probably some other stuff I don't know about) to NLA by buying all that Porsche had.

You could always do what the RSA nut did... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clover.gif)

Have fun,
Kevin
+Quote Post
meursault
post Oct 19 2003, 11:52 PM
Post #3

Idjit Savant

Member No.: 355

On the other hand, there is always the risk that Porsche or its OEM suppliers may resume production of essential parts for which there is great demand. This is why Porsche Classic was founded--though I don't know what happened to it here in the states. Seems to be still alive in Europe, though.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 20 2003, 07:43 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the parts issue. sometimes you have to sell to fund the project as not to anger the so when the visa card bill shows up. on your prices. if you are talking nos they might be in line. but, for decent used stuff they are a bit over the top imo. at a couple of swaps i couldn't get $5 for t.s. lenses, not prisitme but not crap. i had(still have) a number of taillight lenses, same story for those at $25 each, taillight housings, frt t.s housings,.... gary emory was the only one that saw them for the the value that i thought they were. perhaps my prices were too cheap. you could see the condition and no shipping. instead of trying to squeeze every penny out of the part i try to pass along a deal to other owners that live with parts they want to replace but can't due to -$$. jamie will atest to that as well as others. that was a smoking deal on the door panels. sometimes the "914 brother/sisterhood" takes a back seat for a couple of bucks.

in the long run set aside a set of everything that you wouldn't want to buy and tape the box shut. things i regret selling. clean bumpertops, fuchs (came to my senses and held on to the last near perfect one), more than i can remember now. you could sit on containers of parts. the only interest you'll earn is the dust that collects on them and say to yourself "what am i going to do will all this shit".

kevin
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Oct 20 2003, 08:10 AM
Post #5

Unregistered

I know that new d-jet parts prices (among others) are escalating rapidly. Makes me anxious and I want to buy everything now but can't afford it. That's why I'm always happy when some guy with a manufacturing company comes around asking what kind of parts he should make for the teener. I also wish that T-4 parts were as cheap as T-1 parts.
+Quote Post
JohnB
post Oct 20 2003, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 794

Jeff, I bought chrome deck lid letters this weekend at the PCA Potomac swap meet. Not metalized plastic, the real deal, and they are in great shape. The guy wanted $15, I only had $14 ($1 of that was quarters!) and he said OK. Last year at Hershey I bought both rear tail light assy's for $100 (total) but one was missing the lense.

It's all a matter of timing. If you can afford to bank parts, buy 'em when they're cheap. The time will certainly come when you can recoup your investment.

I'm trying to figure out how to create an electronic version of the MPS for the aftermarket but too many other demands on my time will keep me from this until necessity strikes.

These cars are not investments, they're cost centers. But that could change (the 6ers are pretty happy these days) for the cars that don't rust away.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Oct 20 2003, 12:37 PM
Post #7

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Buy the NLA parts you need and stash them away for yourself but don't invest.

Exceptional swap meet deals always pop up because people don't know what they've got. Of course there are only a few swaps per year and you never find the part that you really need. :-) I stock pile stuff I might need - I bought 3 good MPSes over the last two years for between $5 and $20 each. I've got similar deals on a bunch of other stuff that will come in handy.

The other thing is that the used parts market might prevent you from selling your million dollar new in the box MPS investment piece. For example, a new MPS might cost $650 these days but the market for a good tested unit is about $75-150 (excluding exceptional swap meet deals). As long as enough cars keep going to scrap yard then the price will stay there and it won't matter if new MPSes are going for $2000 because most people won't buy them. And when they are at that price people will just switch to carbs, megasquirt, or whatever. Within 5 years I bet someone will make a plug and play programmable FI system for the 914 for under $500. When that happens your MPS investment goes bust.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 20 2003, 02:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

The MPS is the example of why you have to be selective about what you stockpile. As Anthony points out, technology changes and mutates actually obsoleting parts with superior versions. The stuff that's worth stocking is the stuff that is not going to easily be replaced by new technology: tail light lenses, visors, mirrors, steering wheels, various handles and levers, you get the idea. I base this on experiences with other old cars. Perfect tail light lenses for a 40 year old (desirable) car fetch pretty stout money.

I was in a nameless shithole, I mean shop, that has a backroom upstairs full of greasy rusty crap. Literally piles of old cables, piles of struts, piles of junk. What's it all worth? Whatever the scrap man is paying for steel this week if you're lucky.

So somehow you've gotta seperate what's worth keeping from crap. I do keep every OE piece from my car when I upgrade things, box it and put it in storage. Not for an investment but just in case I decide to go back to stock.

Have fun,
Kevin
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Oct 20 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #9

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Stock up on these. Looks like thier the hot teener product of the future. I bid on it and I went over what I thought it was worth. Hot teener part
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 20 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Besides figgerin out how to make the MPS diaphragms (got some in R&D right now)...I think the real future in 914 parts for the successful businessperson is...are you listening Bradley....

PILLOWS!!!
Check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...tegory=418&rd=1

Think of the possibilites...pillows in every correct 914 color and interior could be offered...even sahara beige...

Versions could be offered for 914/6 GTs, 916s...LEs...and for a special price...one to match the exact color of your car.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
mr914
post Oct 21 2003, 09:47 AM
Post #11

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

I've been accumulating 914 parts for years. Some pristine, most not but functional.

The only limit is how much space you have and how much the spouse is willing to let you use.

Look at the 356. Parts 15 years ago that were considered junk are now restorable cores...

And selling for more that what the good parts did years ago.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 02:17 AM