Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.7 engine tear down, well now I know what that weird noise is
stock93
post Oct 21 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 684
Region Association: South East States

I took the oil pump out and what do you know. The cam gear was LOOSE!!!!! This would explain the noise I was having. If you remember it was a rattling raspy sound that was rpm related but would quiet down around 3K rpm. It would also explain why when I adjusted the valves and then went back after running it for a few minutes and letting it cool till the next day that my valve clearances were off. This would be especially true because I missed tdc a couple of times and turned the engine back the other way. I take it this would make the fi not run well. Right? It had almost no power. The ghia with the 1500sp was ragging on me bad. I already sold the fi but I'm still not planning on staying with a 1.7.

My cylinder that had 110psi had only a little more than half the top compression ring. It looks like the whoever rebuilt it previously broke the ring and just decided to go ahead and run it. There were a few parts of fins broken off of the cylinders.

John

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 21 2003, 08:49 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Bummer! Start collecting 2.0 components and build a 2056. I have cylinders that can be bored to 96 mm I'll give ya cheap. They've been riding in my trunk for almost a year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
mr914
post Oct 21 2003, 09:43 AM
Post #3

914 Hillbilly

Group: Members
Member No.: 131
Region Association: None

Bummer about the motor.

Good to know, I'm not the only one driving around with motor parts in my trunk for over a year.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 02:14 AM