Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dave's Parade, Trip report
GWN7
post Aug 15 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #21

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

congrats Dave & Lisa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 15 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #22

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(porschecb @ Aug 15 2006, 06:38 PM) *

Hey Dave: I was coming back from a week long houseboat trip on Shasta and saw a light blue 914 & red 911 (with flares) parked on the side of the road where the traffic was a BITCH. Was that you guys?

They weren't flares; that's just regular SC fenders on that car (which is a regular SC) with an aftermarket turbo tail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes, that was indeed us. That was either when we were waiting for my oil temps to cool off, or waiting for her starter to decide to work again. We didn't wait for traffic to clear; it was still ugly when we finally got moving again. But we made it through there just fine, if slowly.

More pics to follow, since some of y'all had to use the TTIWWP icon...

--DD
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 15 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #23

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Does the Bird board have a wedding registry? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 15 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #24

914 Idiot

One Ring to Rule Them All....
Attached Image

Lisa with Sally Carrera...
Attached Image

On the way home--911 and Mount Shasta!
Attached Image

A mountain, and a whale tail...
Attached Image

And an interesting shadow.
Attached Image

--DD
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 15 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

First things first.....

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

Congrats to you and the future Mrs. Darling (unless you are changing YOUR last name to her's).

I hope the two of you have as long and happy of a Marriage as Betty and I have had so far (18 years) ...

Second things second.... Congrats on the Tech Quiz. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Third Things Thirdly.... Are you and your "lawyer" coming to the MUSR this year? Your friends here want to meet her.

And we need close up pictures of the top of Lisa's 911. Betty wants to figure out how to attach a wedding veil to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 16 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #26

realty check casher

Member No.: 6,273
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 15 2006, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 15 2006, 02:31 PM) *
ps: we're a 6-car garage (in 3 cities) couple with a 20+ car fleet

Color both Lisa and I very envious of you on both counts... She says she thinks 8 or 10 cars would be enough for us (for now at least), but I'm pretty sure that'll work out the way the antiques thing does. "OK, now we only need a little bit more..." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD

Dave,

We're just 45 minutes north of you in SSF. My pals like to introduce their significant other(s) to me whenever they get into TMC (too many cars) arguments. I make almost anybody look good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I just take my girl to see my buddy up in Woodland who built a 50,000 sqft warehouse to stash his toys. Now she thinks my hobby isn't too bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

BenT

ps: any relation to a certain Darlene Darling in San Bruno? or Richard (yes, Dick) Darling in Corte Madera?
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Aug 16 2006, 05:40 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,933

Dave - Congrats! Looks like the "relationship" is off to the right start! Sounds like a good (and busy) trip. A marriage made in "Porsche Heaven". Your "sweetie" must be a good woman to put up with that - talk to me in ten years?

BTW - thanks for all your help recently. Could not have gotten the 914 to where it is without you!
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Aug 16 2006, 06:47 AM
Post #28

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

Thank God!!!! Maybe now you will not have to call your fiancé “my attorney” If we all used your term of what our sufficient other does for a living it really sounds degrading to that person. It sounds like it’s more important that she is an attorney rather than the person you love and care for. It sounds so tacky. It’s like me saying my “Senior Vice President-Investments” and I just went out to the track….Rather than my sweetheart and I etc…. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 16 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #29

914 Idiot

In order--

Clay: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flipa.gif) for the cartoon. Again!

Oh, and Lisa and I most likely will not be making the MUSR.

BenT: I didn't realize you were so close! However, if I brought Lisa over for a visit she would start making plans to move to SSF (if we could find similar places there to yours), and the commute to Moffett Field would be a bitch!

No relation to any other local Darlings that I know of. No immediate relation, at least.

MJHanna: I call her "my attorney" because it's funny. I'm not trying to define her by her profession; rather I'm intentionally mis-using the phrase (generally it only means a lawyer who is working for the speaker) because of its amusement value. At least, I did that initially--and now it's become something of a habit, plus the people on this BBS know her as "Dave's Attorney". Perhaps I'm just easily amused, but there you go.

--DD
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 16 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #30

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Congrats Dave and Lisa!!!!

Sounds like you two had tons of fun, so when is the wedding??

(We still haven't had ours, geez)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Aug 16 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #31

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Congrats you 2. It was nice to see you guys last Wednesday out on the course.

By the way, tell Lisa to shift up. Your car has the loudest backfire I've ever heard when ii's on the rev limiter. It made me want to duck for cover.

Dave
+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 16 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #32

realty check casher

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2006, 07:57 AM) *

BenT: I didn't realize you were so close! However, if I brought Lisa over for a visit she would start making plans to move to SSF (if we could find similar places there to yours), and the commute to Moffett Field would be a bitch!

Dave,

We are actually looking to get out of SSF. We were looking at LAH in your end of the Pen. Currently thrashing one house where most of my cars reside. Neighbors there are ready to kill me. We only have a 2-car where we actually live 10 blocks away. Have a 3rd home near where you proposed. Have house with a 3-car near Sacto. New 5bd/3ba house w/nothing in it except my 1970 914-6. GF doesn't like it because the materbed closet won't fit a car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Hey, if you buy this house, I'll throw in the /6! Need a second home to hide your extra cars? I can use the money to move to your neighborhood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

BenT
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 16 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Dave, it's about time!!! Congrats to you and Lisa!!!

And I agree, it was sneaky to put it right smack dab in the middle of your Parade summation.

Jen
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 16 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #34

914 Idiot

QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 16 2006, 09:32 AM) *

We are actually looking to get out of SSF. We were looking at LAH in your end of the Pen.

La Honda is pretty cool. The 84 commute can get ugly, though, particularly in the winter. The road sometimes just plain disappears! ("Hey, isn't that it down at the bottom of that ravine?") Great 914 roads, though. I could get into serious trouble if I lived up there. I had some friends who used to live up above Applejack's.

We can't afford anything else right now. (Heh, probably ever with the way prices run around here!) Lisa does sometimes mention the notion of moving to Roseville, near Sac'to, though. My commute would be well beyond ugly at that point, but we could have a big place (which we'd only use half of) with an ~8-car garage (which we'd use all of).

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Aug 16 2006, 09:21 AM) *

By the way, tell Lisa to shift up. Your car has the loudest backfire I've ever heard when ii's on the rev limiter. It made me want to duck for cover.

The thing runs really fat, and has the spark cut-off rev limiter. When you ride the limiter, the exhaust tends to load up with fuel, which then gets lit off by the new exhaust charge. Sounds like someone's doing a drive-by...

I'm starting to call her "Machine-Gun Lisa" now... I heard her hit the limit, walked over to the wall and looked up-track, said "Shift, sweetie--shift!", and she was still riding the limiter for another second or so after that! The backfires were much more regular than I'm used to, though. Anyway, it was good that she'd gotten to the top of 2nd earlier (means she was going faster!) but not so good that she was riding the limiter for 3 to 5 full seconds. She is quite intimidated by the 914's shifting, sad to say. She didn't want to have to downshift--ever--so she just rode the limiter so she could take the box chicane ("Chicago box"?) and slalom in 2nd.

--DD
+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 16 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #35

realty check casher

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2006, 09:53 AM) *

La Honda is pretty cool. The 84 commute can get ugly, though, particularly in the winter. The road sometimes just plain disappears! ("Hey, isn't that it down at the bottom of that ravine?") Great 914 roads, though. I could get into serious trouble if I lived up there. I had some friends who used to live up above Applejack's.

We can't afford anything else right now. (Heh, probably ever with the way prices run around here!) Lisa does sometimes mention the notion of moving to Roseville, near Sac'to, though. My commute would be well beyond ugly at that point, but we could have a big place (which we'd only use half of) with an ~8-car garage (which we'd use all of).

La Honda is too hick for my GF. She actually want's PA near Stanford. Too close to Nordstrom's for my taste. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Picture this, Dave... nice small weekday condo in MtVw... Nice big house in Rancho Cordova where you can keep a bunch of Porsche's and still have enough room to host your 914 buddies at the pool. Hey, there's even a /6 light resto project waiting for you it the separate single-car garage with a lift for a 2nd teener. It doesn't get in the way of your using the 2-car side-by-side. Put a pair of lifts in there and you got 2 more teeners up top. Did I mention your teeener buddies can park three of them on the driveway side-by-side? All that for $200K less than a comparable teardown where you live now. Maybe you start organizing a club event at the Sacto Speedway nearby or at the old Mather Airbase. Hey I heard law practice is great in the Capitol.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

BenT
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Aug 16 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #36

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Yeay Dave & Lisa! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 16 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Whatever you southbay people do, don't move up here and drive up the prices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
ge9146
post Aug 19 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 3,716
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Congratulations Dave and Lisa! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

and good job Dave on the tech quiz too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif)

I was a distant second in the tech quiz in the 914 class. Evidently I guessed well on lots of the tech quiz questions.

We met briefly a few times and I witnessed your exploding camera trick at the autocross.
Looiking forward to next years parade in San Diego.

Congratulations again!

Ed Scott
+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 22 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #39

realty check casher

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Aug 16 2006, 01:11 PM) *

Whatever you southbay people do, don't move up here and drive up the prices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Hmmm... At least we still spell Carr here with a C. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 05:49 AM