Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classifieds, should they be read only?, as in, only the seller can post in his ad ...
Classifieds, should they be read only?
simple, should only the seller be allowed to post in his own ad?
YES [ 59 ] ** [36.42%]
NO [ 100 ] ** [61.73%]
What Classifieds? We have Classifieds? [ 3 ] ** [1.85%]
Total Votes: 162
Guests cannot vote 
Joe Bob
post Aug 17 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #21

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Can the poster have the option of allowing responses and/or deleting bashing comments?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 17 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I voted NO, I do like the idea of it being moderated or have the option of cleaning it up...the responses that irk me just as much as the negative comments are "I wish I could buy it if I had the money" or posts just as useless as that
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 17 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I voted no! I like the fact that we get the chance to ask questions in the open forum. Most 914 owners have more experience than me & ask better questions. This way I benefit from their experience. Generally everyone here is pretty cool about things. On the ocasion they are not it's pretty easy to tell if people are just bashing. I think we can police it pretty well ourselves & Eric is doing a good job of that. If people have a problem with what someone is selling something for PM them. You don't need to air your opinion on something you haven't seen. Maybe that person is just a little inexperienced & didn't realize the market. A simple PM to them may fix the problem. I pretty much like it the way it is- Jamie
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 17 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #24

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

It does not matter how I voted, what maters is I voted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Okay I think that maybe you should have the a nice rule that allows reply for general questions, but be moderated. I think that if I was a seller, I know my 914 would be bashed to hell on this board. Yeah it is a POS, but it is L20E which matches cones really well. And I don't care that it has a few bumps or bruises, I only care that it drives its wheels off. But to sell it for what it is worth to me would cause a back lash of west coaster, though it is a 5K car here in Rust belt Ohio, in CA it is worth 850 if I am lucky, and only because it has a running 2.0L, and a bunch of trick suspension goodies, and a 904 gauge.

I think maybe if legally it could be considered as slander then, it should not be posted. (Against the person or the object) If it is just a general question or a response to a question then let it roll. It only helps the market in the long run. If you have a true case of somebody selling a hogs ear as a silk purse Eric should step in and moderate - just gave you more work Eric - sorry. Like any society you have people abusing the system. Hell my in-laws are that way, they will sell a car for gold, but want to buy it for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)!

Take care, Stephen
+Quote Post
wit61
post Aug 17 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 6,269

My vote is to make them read only. Motivated people will still offer their comments in the garage, just like they do about ebay cars for sale, and it will deter those who have nothing better to do than malign a listing by way of a simple quick reply.

Buying/dismissing a car (or an expensive part for that matter) just on the basis of how the seller describes it (or based on a comment from someone who may have an axe to grind) is a bad idea anyway. Caveat Emptor.

+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Aug 17 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

YES....

I've seen too many times that the cars/owners get bashed and/or off-topic discussions begin....

Move the discussions to the garage, just like we do with eBay ads....

I have purchased several parts from fellow members and rarely post directly to the ad. I send a PM to the owner and we discuss condition, payment, shipping, etc.

I know the admins are busy, but I think they should check all of the ads for content, condition, price, pictures, etc...

-- Rob
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 17 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #27

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

no.... we can self police our selves. we have done it in the past and we'll still do it. sometimes i feel that things are over priced, but it's their stuff, if it doesn't sell, they'll get it or not. as for bashing, this is always a problem just look at the thread on the "lawn mower" [i think it looks better than chalon kits], but that's my opinion, it's not limited to the club, it goes across e-bay, the samba and C/L, and it's not some thing that will go away. but we have to be more "polite" to our own here
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Aug 18 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

I voted NO. I also have purchased a non running 914 600 miles away using the 914club classified. Was I happy. Yes and no. The buyer should always be wary when buying anything they can't inspect themselves. PPI is cool but sometimes the view can be very different from what is expected by your own eyes.

I feel spending $$$$ for a classified item allows me some merit to say that replying by online posting is essential between seller and buyer so that what is written can be seen by others and that is in the right part of the 914club, the classifieds. Doesn't really stop a buyer from getting stung but some sellers may be inclinced to be more honest if it is discussed openly.

MikeCool
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 18 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #29

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

but if you were able to give the threasd starter the option to disallow replys - that would be cool. If you can do this please set default to waht ever the majority votes : )

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mrs.K.gif)

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 18 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #30

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I think on the whole, the ads work great just the way they are. Which is essentially a No vote. However I have noticed one person in particular who posts every time someone wants to sell an engine saying what are the compression readings? What is the leakdown percent? This person can't be buying every engine that comes up for sale in the classifieds right? So if he is not in the market for an engine then why post to the ad? He has essentially made the classified ads a forum. I should note that I have never tried to sell an engine so this is an observation not a complaint. This is only one example of this... I have also seen a number of people jumping in and saying I got mine for free or in other ways diminishing the percieved value of what the seller is trying to sell. For these reasons, it might be a good idea to allow the seller to make the ad read only or delete comments made by non-buyers who post to the ad.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Aug 18 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #31

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

I guess for your average 914 like most people own or that are for sale, being able to respond to an ad makes some sense. But on an ad for an all original, low mileage, museum quality car it doesn't make sense for someone that has only ever owned a daily driver to post negative comments. Just like I can't relate to the people on this site that are looking for a used master cylinder to install on their 914. We give these same people the ability to post their comments about an all original museum quality car. That's scary!!!!
+Quote Post
Toast
post Aug 18 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #32

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

kind of like ebay. Bidders cannot post directly on the ad's. But the seller can put in the bidders questions/comments to the ad if he/she wants to.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #33

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Read only, if people have Q's, they e-mail, call or PM.

I can't stand when people post opinions on the classifieds. It makes me wanna say "STFU and either buy it or move on."

I see by my vote that I am the minority.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 18 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #34

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one and some are bigger than others.

Sorry but I've given up on the club classifieds. I don't even advertize in them anymore...don't need the hassle. Too many tire kickers and trolls. When I go to sell off the stuff I don't need I'll ebay it.
I think you can guess how I voted.
'nuff said.
+Quote Post
Engman
post Aug 18 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #35

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2006, 11:29 AM) *

Sorry but I've given up on the club classifieds. I don't even advertize in them anymore...don't need the hassle. Too many tire kickers and trolls. When I go to sell off the stuff I don't need I'll ebay it.
'nuff said.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

M
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Aug 18 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #36

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 18 2006, 08:26 AM) *

Read only, if people have Q's, they e-mail, call or PM.

I can't stand when people post opinions on the classifieds. It makes me wanna say "STFU and either buy it or move on."

I see by my vote that I am the minority.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Well said!

If there is a common question that the seller continues to receive, they can post the answer in the ad.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #37

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Potential buyers cannot post to eBay or Craigslist. It's not a forum, its a classifieds section. Only the thread starter should be able to post:

+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 18 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #38

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2006, 08:29 AM) *

'nuff said.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Can we have an "Amen"?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 18 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #39

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 17 2006, 06:48 PM) *

Moreover we should have a small understanding and agreement that people cruising or trolling the cars for sale should keep their mouths firmly shut when considering critiquing someone else’s car for sale. That's just poor upbringing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Don't know if this would be a problem, but if folks are critiquing cars unjustly, let the originator have the ability to delete posts on his/her thread.

Spoke
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Aug 18 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #40

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

The 914club was founded by assholes for assholes... every time we try to water it down to being like every place else, a little bit of the magic goes away.

Not too long ago someone posted a lovely concours level 914 at what would be a near record price for a 4 cylinder 914. Values have been going up, so why not try for a new ceiling. Well, here at the 914 club we are notoriously cheap, just ask Jake Raby. So when the inevitable comment came regarding $29k for a four banger, the third party poster got offended and in turn insulted about 90% of the members here. In the end, the original post was deleted and everyone played nice the second time around. That's what socialization is all about, it's how kids learn to play nice in the sandbox together.

All I'm saying is that people get too worked up. Everyone should loosen up their panties (salmon colored or not) and enjoy the ride.

This isn't ebay, it isn't Craigslist, it isn't Pelican, and it sure isn't the local paper. Those options are still available for anyone who chooses to use them. The 914club classifieds are a free service, what's the big deal?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 11:16 PM