Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> watercooled radiator photos, Subaru, Maxda, V6, V8 etc, Please post radiator setups, need some design ideas
dmenche914
post Nov 7 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

My advice is no coolant lines inside the cabin. two reasons:
1. they really do get hot, you'll not like it in the summmr
2. if not all metal, welded up, they might spring a leak on you, and I mean ON YOU. (I have had that bad experience. ) it will scald you big time. in event of a crach, even all metal welded line may rupture, you do not want 240F collant on you in a crash.

my adice is run metal lines under the car, or in beind the outer rocker. witht eh right line, placed carefully under the car, you loose very little if any clearance tot eh ground. I got a car with rectangular steel tubing for the line, they are only about 5/8 inch tall fit snug ont eh bottom of car, int eh depression on either sdie of the tunnel.

No coolant lines in the cockpit, please!!! you will be much happier with them outside the cabin, really.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Nov 7 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #42

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Actually the plan was (copying Bondo's idea) to run insulated aluminum tubes above the center tunnel and then once in the engine bay use hose, as well as up front.

Since I have a cable shifter in my car I will very soon have a much much taller center console/tunnel. That means the insulated tubes would be covered by a console. Therefore even in an accident it would be unlikely that I would get hot coolant on me.

I want to be able to lower my car, put a flat bottom on it, and apair of venturi tunnels as well. Having coolant lines running under the car would interfere with that setup.

-Tony
+Quote Post
SGB
post Nov 7 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #43

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Has anyone ever evaluated the area behind the rear wheels- either with a scoop or other inlet, or perhaps dual radiators on each side? I'm not sure which way the opening should face, or what the orientation should be, but there is actual open space in there in the qp. It would be close to the engine, too.
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Nov 7 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4,653

QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 7 2006, 12:21 PM) *

Has anyone ever evaluated the area behind the rear wheels- either with a scoop or other inlet, or perhaps dual radiators on each side? I'm not sure which way the opening should face, or what the orientation should be, but there is actual open space in there in the qp. It would be close to the engine, too.

Well, for a good vacuum, the openings should be on the front side of the wheel well. I'm not sure, but I think that the steel in that area is important structurally. Check twice before you cut !
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Nov 7 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4,653

QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Nov 7 2006, 11:43 AM) *

my adice is run metal lines under the car, or in beind the outer rocker. witht eh right line, placed carefully under the car, you loose very little if any clearance tot eh ground. I got a car with rectangular steel tubing for the line, they are only about 5/8 inch tall fit snug ont eh bottom of car, int eh depression on either sdie of the tunnel.

Any pics available of coolant lines behind the outer rocker panels ? Is there room for both lines to fit on one side ?
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Nov 10 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 623

I exit hot radiator air through the front hood and use a custom 3 core aluminum Fuidyne radiator and twin thermostatically controlled fans. It runs between 175-185 degrees. At speed, it runs at 175...at a dead stop for 30 minutes in 95 degree summer heat...it creeps up to 185. This design produces downforce...unlike the more popular technique of venting out the wheel wells or front trunk floor.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Nov 10 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 623

pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
project-914
post Nov 30 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 6,571

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Nov 10 2006, 12:02 AM) *
This design produces downforce...unlike the more popular technique of venting out the wheel wells or front trunk floor.

finally someone said it...THANKYOU...this is what I would do...but if you don't want to put a huge hole in your hood and you'd rather have a sleeper then it's not a good idea...I'm all about performance
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 10:17 PM