Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm so confused, Who's site is this?
gregrobbins
post Dec 24 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #121

Member: Team NARP

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 24 2006, 05:27 PM) *

So thats a change from before. You guys need to update the FAQ page to better reflect the new order.
And like I said before, if its my forum I want my delete topic function back.

Hey Chris, this is a happy place now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I like the idea of being able to delete a thread I started too, can we get that back? The other choice is to go back the the thread and erase all the works or replacing them with something else. Chris, you have stuff to sell and could turn it into an add. Anyway, how is the car coming for 2007? Any photos to share?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 24 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #122

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Okay, Chris.

I hear you and understand your frustration with the changes.

This was debated among the admins. We had lots of concerns from members when someone would delete an entire thread that contained contributions (intellectual property) from MANY members.

That didn't seem right to everyone involved.

We felt the happy-medium solution was to allow someone to delete their text... but not the whole thread and everyone elses posts.

There is no way to distinguish single-post threads versus threads than have a hundred posts. Because it's all-or-nothing, we've empowered users to clear the text of their OWN post.

I'll be happy to delete the thread in question for you. Please send the link to me in a PM.

I am glad that you're proactive and want to clean up some of the older stuff. Thank you... many don't remember to do stuff like that.

Cheers,
Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 24 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #123

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 24 2006, 07:38 PM) *
This was debated among the admins. We had lots of concerns from members when someone would delete an entire thread that contained contributions (intellectual property) from MANY members.

Maybe I differ from most posters. I don't think contributions to an internet discussion forum constitute intellectual property. They become part of a public domain the moment the enter key is depressed. They are intellectual property only in the case of being copied from another source where the intellectual property rights are already established.
For example, if I contribute comments and ideas to a discussion about suspension modifications, that information is free to anyone. However, if I include attached images posted on my website, that constitutes IP. It only gets touchy when someone intends to "borrow" the information but doesn't bother to get permission where needed. In the case of outright erasure of information on a forum, the original intellectual property remains unchanged and not borrowed or stolen.
I still think a topic starter should retain final say on the continued existence of that topic.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 24 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #124

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 24 2006, 07:37 PM) *

Hey Chris, this is a happy place now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I forgot to put on the rose colored glasses they gave me at the door, lol.
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 24 2006, 07:37 PM) *

Anyway, how is the car coming for 2007? Any photos to share?

No progress. My business has taken top priority again, since I moved in June.
I can't say when I'll be ready to race again.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 25 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #125

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 24 2006, 05:20 PM) *

I still think a topic starter should retain final say on the continued existence of that topic.

I gotta agree with Chris here. I say if I started the thread I therefore "own" all discussion thereafter. And I should be able to delete it. For example, I opened the door (thread) and you guys came in (replyed) but now you started misbehaving or I changed my mind and I'm telling you to get out of my garage (deleteing the thread).

Paul
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Dec 25 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #126

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 25 2006, 07:15 AM) *

I gotta agree with Chris here. I say if I started the thread I therefore "own" all discussion thereafter. And I should be able to delete it. For example, I opened the door (thread) and you guys came in (replyed) but now you started misbehaving or I changed my mind and I'm telling you to get out of my garage (deleteing the thread).

Paul

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but I do get tired of people leaving and doing global deletes!
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Dec 25 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #127

It's a Learning Experience

Member No.: 1,989

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year....nice to be able to log on one of these sights.... I like the new set up. still welding on the old 73.

Richard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 25 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #128

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Holy shit! This is keeping me entertained in my limited free time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So we have:

The "club" site = "we own you and your content, you are lucky to be here!"

NARP = "you will be happy and play happily, it is the law, you will be made happy or you will be moderated/deleted!"

Howard's site = forgot the address...anyone there?

Road Glue = waiting for a personallity to develope, need more time

World = the old way with some changes that I still have to read about.

Merry Ramahaunakwanzmas!

Thanks to ALL of the people who truly have OUR best interests at heart and are doing their best to make all of us a home. So many choices.

(the above comments on the various forums are meant to be satyrical in nature and not realy intended to offend. If such offends you, then it is you perogative to feel offended and I will do nothing to steal such a right from you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 25 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #129

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just read the increadably long and wordy mission statement and feel that you all could have done us a favor and shortend it to the facts. However, I do agree with all ideas there in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Fyrmdk914
post Dec 25 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 7,203

Well, if found you. To me this looks like the original site that I found a few weeks ago. I recently bought my first 914, 75 1.8, with original paint and upholstery. The upholstery will be done soon after the holidays, but the paint and body work will have to wait a while. While I do not have any knowledge of the personalities that caused this uproar on this site, I also don't care. I found this site because I wanted to share, (mostly with me receiving!) information about my 914. I will continue to visit this site because it feels like the same site that I found, and was able to navigate, and enjoy myself looking at. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings!
+Quote Post
mikelsr
post Dec 25 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 3,390

Thanks to the people who got this site up and going.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 26 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #132

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 25 2006, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 25 2006, 07:15 AM) *

Paul

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but I do get tired of people leaving and doing global deletes!

Hi Lawrence,

I'm going to chime in and say I vote for the topic starter to have delete approval of the thread. I've got friends on all of the boards and I'm just going to post in all of them when I'm inclined. I'm hoping no particular site or members force me to choose since I enjoy the posts of many who have chosen sides.

However, it's really a mistake in my opinion to try to keep the content or discourage the freedom of the topic deletion. I fully appreciate you wanting to keep several of the threads whole, they are classic. But if someone who was a major contributor of a thread decides to take their toys and leave (in this case their posted contributions), the thread IS CHANGED forever. It no longer is that classic thread we wanted to keep, but a hollow shell of itself.

Let's take a technical discussion on weight reduction on a car. Maybe 3 or 4 folks post several posts on their cars and what they did to get the weight out. Now 2 of those folks take their posts out, including the originator. There is still content from the other 1 or 2 folks, but now the thread is disjointed and basically sucks.

I wish you guys would just let it go. If B, or people that want to side with them want to kill their threads, let them. It will only be a few people, and the site will be better for it. Because you aren't living and fighting over the past. It's something you guys can't change. And I hope he extends the same courtesy at 914Club when he integrates the database into his site. The sooner you guys get away from the destructive behaviors, we can all go back to having fun someday.

I don't have any plans on deleting my threads here or at 914Club, because I'm just babbling about my POS cars. People from this site have already contacted me about my Boxster build that is nailed in the Paddock. I will contact them directly since this is a 914 forum and I don't know if you want it mucked up with the Boxster build. In fact, if you want to delete it, I wouldn't be offended. I just wanted to share the build because the car was built by the 914 community.

But in the end, I'm disappointed that 914World is "our" site but someone is controlling my threads. In this instance, at least the old site allowed you the control of your own thread. It is my opinion that the thread starter has say so. If you choose to reply you are giving me your opinion and I can choose to listen or discard the discussion. Since I created it, I should be able to terminate it. I'm viewing this as an informal garage, not one that hangs on my every word and has to put my comments up for perpetuity, for others to read for years. For me, it may have been a discussion that at the time seemed appropriate to me, but in the future I find I don't want to be reminded of. I'd like the right (which I do believe is mine) to kill it.

I agree with Geoff, I do get tired of the global delete by some people when they get upset or they have a falling out with a group or club. But really, just let it go. It's not like it's about the content in the database. It's about the people. The people will create the content. If 914World is missing a 944 Turbo brake conversion for a 914 that gets deleted, someone else will step up.

Just my opinion. I'm just a guest in your 914World, trying to stay in contact with my friends.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Dec 26 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #133

Best friends

Member No.: 231

At some point I'd like to see the admins address the issue of how this site is paid for. A site like this doesn't run for free. I don't want to see it perceived by anyone as "making money" for anyone, but I also don't want to see a small group of people underwriting the costs with no opportunity for others to share in that. Since it's OUR site, WE need the opportunity to help with not just content.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 26 2006, 03:28 AM
Post #134

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Bill, you have a very good point. Your post has incited new discussion on the topic. Please don't delete your Boxster thread, I love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Ernie, the site is running on Andy's company servers using Andy's company bandwidth. He has offered this to the acting admin team free of charge. I can only speak for myself, but my only involvement here is for the love of the cars. I think the people who have met me in person realize that. I've done a ton of coding and other things for this site. And I don't expect and don't want a cent for it. I don't even expect acknowledgment. As long as people are working on and loving their cars, I'm 100% happy. It's my impression that the rest of the 914World admin team feels the same way.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 26 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #135

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 26 2006, 01:28 AM) *

I've done a ton of coding and other things for this site. And I don't expect and don't want a cent for it. I don't even expect acknowledgment.

Ahh... but you know we love ya, Mark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Dec 26 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #136

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Member No.: 14

Bill, you have a very good point. Your post has incited new discussion on the topic. Please don't delete your Boxster thread, I love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Ernie, the site is running on Andy's company servers using Andy's company bandwidth. He has offered this to the acting admin team free of charge. I can only speak for myself, but my only involvement here is for the love of the cars. I think the people who have met me in person realize that. I've done a ton of coding and other things for this site. And I don't expect and don't want a cent for it. I don't even expect acknowledgment. As long as people are working on and loving their cars, I'm 100% happy. It's my impression that the rest of the 914World admin team feels the same way.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Thank you Mark and all other administration members.I am not sure who you ALL are yet,but Thank you for your hard work,dedication to the site and to the cars we love to hate, for getting this site back up and running for the members in no time flat and for not creating it into a infomercial. This is the club I have been a member of since day 1 and expect to be around until I am no longer wanted. Thanks again guys/gals Bob in Pittsburgh.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 26 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #137

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I support both higher volume 914 BBS sites. I think it was interesting for people running the 914world.com site to take action to restore my 914club.com screen name, password, profile information, contact information and posts without my formal release and approval.

I had never agreed to terms of this new 914world site. Was the movement of my profile, information and postings a legal act? I think this would be a great case for courts to study as I have not seen this happen on the internet before. Leave it to a group of 914 enthusiasts to break new legal ground on the internet.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 26 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #138

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Im here,
I agree with Bill, stop worrying, let is happen. Its the natural course of things.

Rich
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Dec 26 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #139

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

I guess I am the minority (or maybe not) on the delete issue....The admins did it right on this one. Don't change it. Being able to delete\edit your own content is fair. I don't like the idea of someone deleting MY content cuz they got a hair up their ass.

I see it this way.....(right or wrong) If you start a thread on a public forum, you spoke freely and have now involved others and it is no longer private. Being able to delete YOUR words is fair. Why should you get to delete MY words just because you INITIATED it? Starting the thread only INITIATED the discussion. It would be like starting a discussion in the office and when YOU left you told everyone they could not keep talking about it......You don't always get to stop (or take back)what you said or started anywhere in life. So, a good thing to remember is....You never regret what you DON'T say.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 26 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #140

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Dont you expect some commercial activity from this site? If you didnt why have your engine building service in your signature? Don't you and others running this site who own 914 businesses now derive some level of benefit from 914world.com?

I support you guys 100%, but I think its important to be honest about the fact that several of you 914world Admins have businesses that benefit from 914 community. After your breakup with the 914club I dont think you guys had much of a choice other than to setup this 914world.com site.

Both 914club.com and 914world.com work for me. Keep up the great work!
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 12:49 AM