Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm so confused, Who's site is this?
TROJANMAN
post Dec 26 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #141

Looks nice in pictures.........

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 07:21 AM) *

I support both big 914 BBS sites. I think it was strange for people running the site here to assume it was ok to restore my 914club.com screen name, profile information, contact information and posts without my permission.

I had never agreed to terms of this site. Wasnt that act illegal? I think this would be a great case for courts to study as I have not seen this happen on the internet before. Leave it to a group of 914 enthusiasts to break new legal ground on the internet.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Dec 26 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #142

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Member No.: 14

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Dec 26 2006, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 07:21 AM) *

I support both big 914 BBS sites. I think it was strange for people running the site here to assume it was ok to restore my 914club.com screen name, profile information, contact information and posts without my permission.

I had never agreed to terms of this site. Wasnt that act illegal? I think this would be a great case for courts to study as I have not seen this happen on the internet before. Leave it to a group of 914 enthusiasts to break new legal ground on the internet.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Dec 26 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #143

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Dont you expect some level of commercial benefit from this site? If you didnt why have your engine building service in your signature? Don't you and others running this site who own 914 businesses now derive some level of benefit from 914world.com?

Grant

If they do benefit, so what? They donate time and effort (and at least lately, peace of mind). Is it wrong that they derive some indirect benefit from this? Isn't this the same as a business man that joins a service club to help their community? The service clubs do good things but, there is also business done at meetings and events.

For that matter, isn't there benefit to the non-members? How many people read these forums and find a supplier for something they want or need knowing that the part or service is targetted to their needs? How many vendors have you found through these forums? I know I have found a few.

For me, that's a win win situation.

Dave
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Dec 26 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #144

picking up where he left off.........(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I'm surprised he isn't 'unregistered' yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 26 2006, 09:44 AM
Post #145

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Dec 26 2006, 07:35 AM) *

Dont you expect some level of commercial benefit from this site? If you didnt why have your engine building service in your signature? Don't you and others running this site who own 914 businesses now derive some level of benefit from 914world.com?

Grant

If they do benefit, so what? They donate time and effort (and at least lately, peace of mind). Is it wrong that they derive some indirect benefit from this? Isn't this the same as a business man that joins a service club to help their community? The service clubs do good things but, there is also business done at meetings and events.

For that matter, isn't there benefit to the non-members? How many people read these forums and find a supplier for something they want or need knowing that the part or service is targetted to their needs? How many vendors have you found through these forums? I know I have found a few.

For me, that's a win win situation.

Dave

Thats my point. Why hide behind altruistic posts that claim no economic benefit comes from involvement on this site? I appluad people who can make a money from supporting the 914 community. I believe commercial interests are what make the bigger sites like 914world and 914club viable. I see it as a win win too.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 26 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #146

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

CAMP 914 obviously is a 914 related business. I receive benefit from any and all 914 sites.
When asked I contributed to the 914club.com site. If I was asked I would do the same here or at any of the other sites.
If feel it is part of doing business, and that is to support, in what ever way I can the 914 sites that has the members who enjoy the 914.
I send all kinds of CAMP 914 items to the organizers of events all over the country.
If I did not enjoy the Porsche 914 I wouldn't do what I do. The club sites are just a side benefit and the West Coast Classics are something that helps bring a body to the name on the screen.
It may seem commercial, and I will be the first , if asked to help support.
CCL
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Dec 26 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #147

QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 26 2006, 08:50 AM) *

When asked I contributed to the 914club.com site. If I was asked I would do the same here or at any of the other sites.

Craig,
CLUBNARP.com would like you to write us a check to be part of our 914 community. $1000 ought to do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
CCLINTHEMONEY
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 26 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #148

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

PAYPAL okay??
CCL
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Dec 26 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #149

as long as the name on the account isn't Eugene (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

do you still need that brake cap?
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 26 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #150

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 26 2006, 06:50 AM) *

I guess I am the minority (or maybe not) on the delete issue....The admins did it right on this one. Don't change it. Being able to delete\edit your own content is fair. I don't like the idea of someone deleting MY content cuz they got a hair up their ass.

I see it this way.....(right or wrong) If you start a thread on a public forum, you spoke freely and have now involved others and it is no longer private. Being able to delete YOUR words is fair. Why should you get to delete MY words just because you INITIATED it? Starting the thread only INITIATED the discussion. It would be like starting a discussion in the office and when YOU left you told everyone they could not keep talking about it......You don't always get to stop (or take back)what you said or started anywhere in life. So, a good thing to remember is....You never regret what you DON'T say.

I understand where folks are coming from and generally agree with this postition. The one thing that really is tough for me to accept is stopping a thread of mine that has gone off course, either due to my replies or those of other folks. In the real world I can choose to either excuse myself from a conversation or ask someone to leave. In the cyberworld not only will they not leave, but some of these folks will continue to post just to pollute a thread with off topic drivel. If I'm asking about wheel bearings and someone keeps posting about their cat, I don't like it. And there have been times where a debate escalates to personal attacks, or very close.

I have been involved in this very thing, and when you look back on the thread, you see that either yourself, your friend, or just an online "entity" have posted unfortunate remarks. In a face to face conversation, what is said is heard by those in the room. When the conversation is over, that's it. If the parties involved choose not to spread the conversation, it stays in that room. In the 914World forums, the conversation between participants can be replayed over and over and over for anyone coming in. What if I choose for that not to happen? Why can't I terminate it? It's really the other side of the coin to your argument. You argue once you say it, it's there for eternity and I have not right to take your comments away. But what if you or I said something unfortunate, or at a basic level so much drivel crept into a thread that it wasn't enjoyable or positive reading, but just a diluted waste of disk space? Why not delete it and try again to keep the topic clean?

I've actually done that in the past, where I started a topic and a heated debate ensued not only between myself and an original replier, but also from the peanut gallery. Just like we saw with the implosion of the 914 community, inappropriate things were said and it made everyone look silly. So instead of living with a thread about tires or brake pads that has 10% on topic material and 90% OT material that hurts feelings and sounds stupid, I deleted the entire thread and started a new one. Everyone calmed down and we posted on topic and the thread was fine. When something is wrong, why do we have a fascination to keep our dirty laundry up for all to see till the end of time, or until the server is unplugged?

I would agree with you 100% if all the replies were respectful. But that isn't always the case in this forum or any other forum. Look at all the folks that sling mud hiding behind screen names. That is extreme example, but the 914 community is extreme in behavior.

My point is that if someone starts a thread and doesn't feel comfortable with the way it goes, let the person that authored the thread to have the decision making to keep it or not. If the admin has it only, that puts them in the "God" position, which they shouldn't have to deal with. And let's say I delete a topic and you don't agree with it. You could still have a rebuttal by posting a thread with the topic of the rebuttal "I disagree with Bill P. because....." and continue the conversation. If I was strong in my convictions I wouldn't participate in your thread, but you would most assuredly have folks weighing in, and your point or points could be fleshed out more. But at least your thread would hopefully be what you want, not become something you didn't want.....

My opinion only....and I'm still posting here even though I do not agree with the 914World's position.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Dec 26 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #151

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 23 2006, 06:11 PM) *

There are 4 914 sites we can flounder around too, Pelican,NARP,914club and 914world.

5 if you count Rennlist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Dec 26 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #152

914 Girl

We can take a vote about the Delete function (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hopefully the server is backed up daily, so some of these "global delete in anger" issues are moot anyway.
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Dec 26 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #153

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Just checking to see if everything is working. I found out about 914 World from the Thank You e-mail I received from ClubNARP.

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe...
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Dec 26 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #154

914 Girl

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 26 2006, 01:56 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Just checking to see if everything is working. I found out about 914 World from the Thank You e-mail I received from ClubNARP.

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe...

You're not alone...
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Dec 26 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #155

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

QUOTE(GTeener @ Dec 26 2006, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 23 2006, 06:11 PM) *

There are 4 914 sites we can flounder around too, Pelican,NARP,914club and 914world.

5 if you count Rennlist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Don't forget,
www.RoadGlue.com
A top notch site that Randy and Glenn put back up where 914 is still the king and the main substance of conversation.
Smaller, in your own garage, type site.

Cooltimes
+Quote Post
914-8
post Dec 26 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #156

Member No.: 5,461

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 26 2006, 10:07 AM) *

In the real world I can choose to either excuse myself from a conversation or ask someone to leave. In the cyberworld not only will they not leave, but some of these folks will continue to post just to pollute a thread with off topic drivel.

. . . In a face to face conversation, what is said is heard by those in the room. When the conversation is over, that's it. If the parties involved choose not to spread the conversation, it stays in that room. In the 914World forums, the conversation between participants can be replayed over and over and over for anyone coming in. What if I choose for that not to happen? Why can't I terminate it?

Bill P.

View this like a community room, say a bar. In the real world, you can excuse yourself from a conversation, but you can't force others to leave, or force them to stop the conversation, or force them to not replay it over and over again for anyone new coming into the bar. The most you can do is leave and ignore it. No one is going to ask your permission, "Hey, since you started this conversation, do you mind if we keep it going after you leave?"

If a thread you start goes a way you don't want, just ignore it. No one is going to fault you for starting the tread. Unlike the real world, you can even edit out or delete your own posts so your participation in the thread is completely gone. Why do you need more than that?

Giving everyone the power to delete the posts of others is a bad move, IMO.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 26 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #157

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Grant,

For the life of me I cannot figure out if you are walking on your hands or your feet when you speak. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

First it is bad, then it is good, then it is a puzzle for the same topic. If you don't like your information automatically populated here, why are you here participating? And if you are ok with both sites running dual content, why are you complaining about the login? Your comments must be just for your own entertainment.

I have a perception that you will participate in any heated topic just to see who you can piss off, flip sides then backpeddle once you pissed everyone off.

OK your turn. Postive, Negative or Indescisive. Maybe you can do all of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 26 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #158

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(914-8 @ Dec 26 2006, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 26 2006, 10:07 AM) *

In the real world I can choose to either excuse myself from a conversation or ask someone to leave. In the cyberworld not only will they not leave, but some of these folks will continue to post just to pollute a thread with off topic drivel.

. . . In a face to face conversation, what is said is heard by those in the room. When the conversation is over, that's it. If the parties involved choose not to spread the conversation, it stays in that room. In the 914World forums, the conversation between participants can be replayed over and over and over for anyone coming in. What if I choose for that not to happen? Why can't I terminate it?

Bill P.

View this like a community room, say a bar. In the real world, you can excuse yourself from a conversation, but you can't force others to leave, or force them to stop the conversation, or force them to not replay it over and over again for anyone new coming into the bar. The most you can do is leave and ignore it. No one is going to ask your permission, "Hey, since you started this conversation, do you mind if we keep it going after you leave?"

If a thread you start goes a way you don't want, just ignore it. No one is going to fault you for starting the tread. Unlike the real world, you can even edit out or delete your own posts so your participation in the thread is completely gone. Why do you need more than that?

Giving everyone the power to delete the posts of others is a bad move, IMO.

Excellent point and I mostly agree with what you are saying. However, the distinction I'm drawing is that from most of the bars I go to, we can't remember the particulars from the night before... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) ....just kidding... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

What I'm trying to say is that at a bar in a certain discussion, I can walk away and the rest of the patrons can still talk about the topic I started. But I've never been to a bar that wrote down word for word what was talked about or tape recorded your conversation to play back the next day, week or month. For whatever reason, I normally remember the gist of a conversation, but I normally don't remember it word for word. In the cyberworld it is word for word.

If you gave the delete back I'm positive that some folks would come in here and dump everything. Let them. It's closure, although in the realm of things it doesn't matter. And truthfully, I won't lose sleep over it. Just the civil tone of our conversation here is fine. But in reality, our conversation has encroached on Qarl's orginal "I'm so confused" thread. Maybe he finds it offensive and wants to remove it. As the thread starter he has the right. At least that's my position.

I've had an ADMIN call me names, insult my integrity both personally and professionally in the heat of a debate. I wasn't too nice either. I chose to delete the thread so that other's couldn't twist it into something else. The admin is a friend and we were both out of line. The delete topic button allowed me to let that wound heal, not have it out in the open for all to pick at. 914World isn't a bar. It has a Garage which to me has a more "family" distinction versus a bar. ClubNARP has a bar, The Tavern. That fits more into the bar scene for me. And I like going to bars, so I'll hit the The Tavern from time to time.

So since you can only have it one way, a delete button or no delete button, I vote give the power to the thread starter. At the very least it isn't the admins being the policeman, it is the community. If you don't like it that I deleted a thread, you can call me out on it in front of the community. I could then respond why I did it. Or not. Self policing.

Bill P.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 26 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #159

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 26 2006, 02:42 PM) *

Grant,

For the life of me I cannot figure out if you are walking on your hands or your feet when you speak. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

First it is bad, then it is good, then it is a puzzle for the same topic. If you don't like your information automatically populated here, why are you here participating? And if you are ok with both sites running dual content, why are you complaining about the login? Your comments must be just for your own entertainment.

I have a perception that you will participate in any heated topic just to see who you can piss off, flip sides then backpedal once you pissed everyone off.

OK your turn. Positive, Negative or Indecisive. Maybe you can do all of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I never indicated whether I agree or disagree with my profile information and historical posts from 914club being populated on this new 914world forum. I merely stated fact that my profile, historical posts, etc were populated here without my consent. I do believe the Admins here have set an interesting legal precedent in the online forum world. Wouldn't you agree? Be careful not to mix my factual statements with your perceptions. I can understand why you may be confused.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.”

~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 26 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #160

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 05:02 PM) *

Wouldn't you agree? Be careful not to mix my factual statements with your perceptions. I can understand why you may be confused.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.”

~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Not really. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 12:19 AM