Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another AA Horror Story
krazykonrad
post Feb 25 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,610

AA just ran well in excess of $1,000 over budget on my 914. I dont dispute the necessity of the work or the pricing of the work. However, they went way too far when I told them to what my budget was. The official company line is this was a "misunderstanding".
In all candor, Shon and Daniel in the shop were great to work with. Shon got put in the middle between George and I when George suddenly dropped the problem on his lap.
AA fooled me once on bad customer service. Now they fooled me twice. Shame on me for trusting them. Never again!
To keep a potential flame war off the site, PM me if you're interested in the story.
Konrad
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 78)
Mike McGrath
post Feb 26 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #61

Member No.: 3,225

Whatever - let the buyer beware, of course, but someone from the repair shop perspective maybe can tell us why the shop doesn't just take two seconds to get the owner's signature or confirming e-mail on a new work order BEFORE starting the work if they even smell a dispute waiting to happen. The obligation should go both ways, wouldn't you think?

I know, I know, using a fax or e-mail is a hassle (seriously, my cousin has his own shop and can't figure out either one, even if he had the time), but if this is the potential grievance you will face, seems worth the time.

Maybe I'm just too cautious in my line of work (I'm a lawyer, too).

Mike (in Portland)
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Feb 27 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #62

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

6 things occur to ME.

1: Pricing of the work order.
The Pricing reflected in the work order from AA is in line with my geographic area.
I live in SoCal. If I lived in lower priced economic area. The pricing may well look out of line. Labor rates are very dependent on the economy of the area.
The original Author also agrees the repair work was fairly priced.

2: Victim threads are usually suspect for ME. Period.

3: I have a serious problem if either party in question, deletes or edits their posts.
If I am not mistaken. There are have been edits since I first read this thread. Anyone have a read on this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

4: What dos the original author want from AA?
Please spell it out.

5: I always find it interesting when neither party owns any mistakes.
Simply because it's impossible. Else there would be no problem.

6: What is it going to take to get this resolved? If it is at all possible?

I still have this nagging gut feeling that there is something missing from this story.

Clayton Clark
+Quote Post
elwood-914
post Feb 27 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #63

elwood-914

Member No.: 38

Right now my car is being worked on at HPH. I got 2 calls today from Larry. He is keeping me very informed of what he is doing and how much it is going to cost. I'm feeling pretty comfortable that I am not going to be surprized. It's comunication. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Feb 27 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #64

Bottom Line:
1. The work needed to be done
2. The price was fair for the work done
BUT
3. I HAD NO INTENTION OF TAKING THE PROJECT THIS FAR AT THIS TIME
4. I THOUGHT "GO NO WHERE NEAR $2K WAS CLEAR"
5. I HAVE PAID GEORGE IN FULL
6. I AM UNHAPPY ABOUT THE LACK OF INFORMATION BEFORE SUCH A TOTAL WAS REACHED
7. I AM UNHAPPY ABOUT THE QUALITY OF CUSTOMER SERVICE I RECEIVED
8. RIGHT WRONG OR INDIFFERENT, AA HAS LOST A CUSTOMER OVER THIS
Konrad
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Feb 27 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #65

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You know what Konrad I am tired of this. I looked at your other posts and evidently you have bashed AA before so why take it to them if you didn't like them then. If your looking for something to complain abiout you usally can find it. From what I see sitting on the sidelines you gave the OK to get it running as a daily driver. That meant fixing problems that would be for driveablity and SAFETY. You failed to mention here that the motor was a modifed bus motor(as metioned in other posts about it). and that the reason it had sat six months was that you may have started the repairs yourself in Aug(read in previous posts). If you paid the amount and have a running car you should consider yourself lucky. I have a project I have started and not sure where the money is going to come from.

Bottom line if you had misgivings about AA why use them in the first place.
and don't bring something to a public forum that you have'nt tried to work out w/ the business first. You paid so you accept the finacial burden now accept the fact that you may be wrong and misinterpted what was said to you.

edit: Konard was a 3rd year law student in spring of 2006 not sure how long you have to go to be a lawyer but I do know you have to pass the bar first.

Isn't the internet great.

Also Dad signed the WO.

This post has been edited by ws91420: Feb 27 2007, 10:09 AM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 27 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #66

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

C'mon..... let's see it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Thanks for the thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Feb 27 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #67

Small Member

Member No.: 633

The parts look resonable. The labor is what killed you. According to the photo copy, they got you for 12 hours of labor (1000.00) just on the original rocker arm stud issue.

On my first glance, the 4 hours of labor on the "rebuilt" axles seemed rediculous. However, unlike a Midas type place that stocks rebuilt axel assemblies, I am guessing AA rebuilds these as needed and on your dime, verses having them ready to go and on the shelf.

I think the situation is really too bad. As many problems as I have had with AA, the billing looks legit (the 12 hours on the rocker stud does seem a bit rough...).
But I also agree, you just spent more than some on this list have spent on a perfectly fine/running car.

In fact, you spent the same amount that I hope to spend on a decent used 2.4 6cyl.

I dont care what your poison is - if it has a motor and is old, it is not cheap to maintain.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Feb 27 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

At this point, I must say that the real problem was poor communication on both sides.
I have run both bodyshops and mechanical shops, and while they are very different because of the insurance company's involvement, proper communication is absolutely vital in either case.
In Ca, the shop is responsible for making sure that the customer UNDERSTANDS what is being done and how much it will cost. If there's any disagreement, the benefit of the doubt usually goes to the customer, the assumption is made that the shop is a group of auto repair professionals that understand the process and must take care not to take advantage of a naive customer.
In Ca, if the cost exceeds the repair order, the customer must authorize (and understand) every single part and labor item. I mean every single part, every nut, washer, clip, etc. Every part cost must be itemized and a part number listed without exception. The shop must also record every phone conversation and what was authorized specifically. For some shaky-feeling customers I would even make them drive to the shop to sign each additional authorization as we went along, in case there were problems later, I would have written proof that I tried to explain exactly what was being done.
It seems that the vehicle owner did authorize the repairs, there is a signature on the RO, If the RO was up to date at the time of the signature. I would never again work off of handwritten RO's because it's too easy for a customer to claim that I had written in more stuff later, if they sign a printed estimate it's clear exactly what they are signing, right there next to the price.
In any case, it's clear to me that both parties must be a lot more careful to communicate thoroughly in the future. I'm sure that neither wants to do business with the other anymore, but each should be a lot more careful with the next guy.
EVERY piece of paper that was posted here is not clear enough for me, I can't imagine what the phone conversations were like.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 27 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #69

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

On every repair order I have signed, if a phone call were made advising a revision in estimate, a note was placed on the repair order stating the revision, who made the phone call, who recieved the phone call, date and time.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Feb 27 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #70

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

AA only charges roughyl $83 an hour?

Kinda ... cheap imho compared to labor rates for P-cars out here. Or was that the VW labor rate? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Feb 27 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 27 2007, 02:23 PM) *

AA only charges roughyl $83 an hour?

Kinda ... cheap imho compared to labor rates for P-cars out here. Or was that the VW labor rate? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My brain surgeon doesn't charge that much but then again I have a very small brain.
The wages of customers on the West Coast are not anywhere close to comparable to wages of those customers in the South. Atlanta may be different since housing prices there is almost catching up with the WC.
Check it out yourself. You may want to move to the South to retire since you would have a million left after selling out there and buying here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
http://www.realtors.com

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 27 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #72

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

"He then made it a point to tell me he was an attorney and could "make things very rough for me".

Konrad please! You have been an attorney for almost 4 months. Do you really think you have the stones to start threatening people or that anyone should actually be intimidated? Kind of gives you an idea of why the legal profession has taken such a beating in the public eye...

This kind of thing keeps coming up. It really isn't an issue of who did or did not communicate what to whom. It is an issue of trying to throw mud on someones reputation because it is easy. Too easy.

I have never met George or been to Automobile Atlanta. He may be a complete ass or he could just as easily be a nice guy. I don't know. I do know this, if I had a problem with George or his company I would be standing toe-to-toe with George in his office. Not trying to undo his reputation by taking this approach.

Even if George is partly wrong you should be apologizing for this public trashing.
+Quote Post
94teen6
post Feb 27 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 7,564

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Feb 27 2007, 01:04 PM) *

Konrad please! You have been an attorney for almost 4 months.

Workmans Comp?
+Quote Post
hellsbend
post Feb 27 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 5,646

I'm still mad at AA for getting those 914/6 heat exchangers I need off this site before I could, but having said that I think they have a much stronger case here, and I've spent many years writing estimates for car repairs.

If you don't want to pay $175 for a used type 4 fan then spend some time here or on E-bay finding a cheaper one and fix it yourself-oh wait, maybe that's not such a good idea since you are the guy who drove it around with a pair of pliers lodged in the blades with no 1st gear and seemed unclear on the concept that really crappy unmaintained (how the hell do you bust a rocker stud?-with the wrong fasteners, apparently!) 914s that need a nearly complete restoration will cost you a buttload to fix if somebody who knows what they're doing does the work-and will cost you even more if the work is done by someone else. AA seems to have done a decent job of making it drivable without doing any un-needed work, so enjoy the ride and file a lawsuit against someone else to pay for it. Phil
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Feb 28 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #75

Thanks for everyone's replies on the issue, including George. Take it for what ever its worth to you. I hope this has been a learning experience for everyone. I think everyone here, including me, has learned to CONFIRM that both parties clearly understand what is going on.
Thanks to those who've supported me on this. To those who have not, thanks for being involved in the 914 community enough to voice your opinion.
Lets all get back to enjoying the teeners we love.
Konrad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 28 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #76

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Well said Konrad.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brando
post Feb 28 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #77

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(hellsbend @ Feb 27 2007, 02:44 PM) *

[...] If you don't want to pay $175 for a used type 4 fan then spend some time here or on E-bay finding a cheaper one and fix it yourself-oh [...]

Exactly. I have a good used intact fan that I would have given away...
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Feb 28 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

OK. Can an administrator please close this topic????

paul
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 1 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #79

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Enough dirty laundry

T.C.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 08:55 PM