Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Superlite 15x7 25+ offset 4 lug 4x130 wheels, for those of you looking for something different
Gint
post Mar 26 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I had half a dozen titles for this thread in my head...

It's finally time to mount the Superlite wheels I bought in June 06. Mike Z was given a second chance offer from ebay when the auction didn't make reserve. He offered them up and I grabbed it. I bought them significantly cheaper than Pack Racing currently offers them for on their website. So it was worth it. Here's the original thread There were many questions (and even a little mis-information) in that thread. I'll answer quite a few here since I now have the wheels have tires mounted on them and I'm about to use them.

BTW - 914world member Nick Mironov has a thread about his Superlite wheels. Nick's superlite wheel thread . Nick, you want to read this thread and possibly talk to Pack Racing about a set of inserts with a proper conical lug bolt/nut seat.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Gint: Jan 2 2013, 06:26 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 26 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Mike Ginter

I thought I was getting 2 wheels with 25mm+ offset and 2 wheels with 35mm+ offset. There was a little communication trouble because I was communicating to Pack Racing via Mike Z since it was he who received the second chance offer when the wheel didn't make reserve on ebay. Looking at the wheels, one of them is stamped 12p or 12mm+ offset and the other three are stamped 25p. And it would appear that these were all stamped 12p at one time and stamped over with 25p. Regardless, I measured them all and they are all 25mm+ offset.

I never doubted Herr Mueller as he has done a lot of work with non-factory wheels on 914s, but I now can confirm [/size]what Mike has always said. As has pointed out in the past, 35mm would be a offset for a 914 to use a 205 tire. Seeing is believing!

At this point I'll note that Pack Racing doesn't seem to offer a 15x7 wheel with a 35mm+ offset. They have 16x7's in 35mm+ offset but not 15's.

Tires...

I've now gone from running the fattest tire you can squeeze on a factory Fuchs wheel to the skinniest tire you can fit on a 7" rim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I measured a few 205/50VR15 tires and needless to say they are all different.
  • Yokohama EVS ES100 overall width is 8.2"
  • Falken Azenis overall width are 7.875"
  • Cheapo Nankang ex-500 overall width are 7.75"
  • BFG G-force Sport overall width are 8.5625" These things are FAT!
The BFG G-force Sport are the fattest 205/50VR15 street tires I've ever seen.

I finally ordered 195/55VR15 in the BFG G-force Sport because the thread width and overall width are still as wide or wider than many other 205/50 tires. It looks like they will just barely work out. I have about 1/16" clearance on the outside and 3/4" on the inside. An extra 5mm positive offset from a 30mm+ offset wheel like the factory Fuchs would center it almost perfectly. Or a 35+mm offset wheel like Superlite's 16" could at least utilize a 5mm spacer to achieve optimal clearance on both sides.

There may be a tiny bit of fender rolling in my immediate future. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by Gint: Jun 4 2008, 08:04 AM
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 26 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

let me interject a little. offset is a pretty useless number, as it varies by width....

Backspacing is constant. backspacing is from the inner lip of the wheel to the mounting face. on a 914, you want between 112-120mm backspacing.
every fuch wheel has almost the same backspacing even though the width changes. pretty cool.

so if you know the max back spacing you can run on your car (before wheel hits inner fender well) You can then pick a custom wheel to fit your car in ANY width you would like.

just easier to calculate IMO,

those look so sick on your car gint!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 26 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Now, this is a piece of info that anyone wishing to order Superlite wheels for a 914 needs to be aware of. Be certain that you tell them that you are purchasing wheels for us on a Porsche 914, (and provided your car is a stock configuration) it uses 14x15mm lug bolts, a 4x130 bolt circle and the hubs are not hubcentric. This should be enough information for them to know what type of insert to install in the wheels prior to shipment. I believe they have not yet supplied many of these wheels for a 914, so they are working out some kinks.

On to the details...

Apparently, Pack Racing modifies these wheels and adds inserts into the mounting holes to provide the correct size lug bolt/stud hole and a conical seat. The bolt hole is 17mm, so a 14x1.5 lug bolt or stud will float in the hole. And since these wheels are lugcentric, there is no way without these inserts (or a reasonable substitute) to locate or center the wheel.

I'll spare you the long story, but with the help of Terry from Pack Racing, we figured out that these wheels had shipped without the inserts. I'm going to either get a set of these inserts from Terry or make some of my own. I haven't really decided yet. If P.R. will send me the inserts for free I'll liekly go ahead and get a full set. I'll update this thread when that's been determined.

The lug bolt/nut mating surface as supplied from the manufacturer is flat.

Attached Image

Close up

Attached Image

Insert rear view

Attached Image

Insert front view

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Gint: Mar 28 2007, 10:29 PM
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 26 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2007, 07:50 PM) *

let me interject a little. offset is a pretty useless number, as it varies by width....

Backspacing is constant. backspacing is from the inner lip of the wheel to the mounting face. on a 914, you want between 112-120mm backspacing.
every fuch wheel has almost the same backspacing even though the width changes. pretty cool.

so if you know the max back spacing you can run on your car (before wheel hits inner fender well) You can then pick a custom wheel to fit your car in ANY width you would like.

just easier to calculate IMO,

those look so sick on your car gint!

Actually, I disagree. Offset in it's simplest form is the distance from the wheel's centerline to the hub mating surface regardless of the wheel's width. And I like to have all of the numbers. I have no issue with calculating the offset in order to know what I'm dealing with. But that's just me...
Details:

Factory 5.5" 4x130 Fuchs wheel
  • Overall wheel width - 6.250"
  • Wheel width (between the inner beads) 5.5"
  • Backspace 4.6875"
  • Offset 1.5625"+ (39.6mm)
Performance Superlite 15x7 4x130 wheel
  • Overall width 8"
  • Wheel width (between the inner beads) 7"
  • Backspace 5"
  • Offset 1"+ (25.4mm)
Edit:
I cheesed the Fuchs measurements. They have been corrected 3/28/07. Factory 4 lug (4x130 bolt pattern) Fuchs wheel has an positive offset of 39.6mm.

Good information about wheel backspace and offset from Yokohama's web site

High Performance Wheels
The following are various high performance wheel measurements that play an important role in determining tire and wheel fitment:

Wheel Backspace
This is the distance from the back edge of the wheel to the hub mounting surface. To determine the wheel backspace:

1. Position the wheel face down.
2. Lay a straight-edge across the back of the wheel. Measure the distance from the straight-edge to the wheel's hub mounting surface.

Wheel Offset
The wheel's offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset of a wheel can be one of three settings:

* Zero offset: The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
* Positive offset: The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars.
* Negative offset: The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically negative offset. Offset can be calculated by positioning the wheel on a flat surface and measuring its overall width and backspace as shown below. Divide the overall width by two, then subtract this result from the backspace value.

Offset = Backspace - (Rim Width รท 2)

Attached Image

Here's a drawing from Fikse that I especially like.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Gint: Mar 28 2007, 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Mar 26 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 26 2007, 07:52 PM) *

Tires...

I've now gone from running the fattest tire you can squeeze on a factory Fuchs wheel to the skinniest tire you can fit on a 7" rim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I measured a few 205/50VR15 tires and needless to say they are all different.
  • Yokohama EVS ES100 overall width is 8.2"
  • Falken Azenis overall width are 7.875"
  • Cheapo Nankang ex-500 overall width are 7.75"
  • BFG G-force Sport overall width are 8.5625" These things are FAT!
The BFG G-force Sport are the fattest 205/50VR15 tires I've ever seen.

Hoosiers are 8.7" across!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 26 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Mar 26 2007, 09:09 PM) *

There's one in every crowd! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'll modify that bit of text. Street tires...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 27 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Hmm My Hoosiers are 11" across. with a tread compound of 25. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

and with 4.5" of backspace they Just freaking barely rub the inner fenderwell and I can nearly get my pinky finger between the outer flared fender lip and tire.
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 27 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,634

More tires in 195-55-15 than you would think;
nice wheels, pretty green car
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Mar 27 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

How much do these "superlite" wheels weigh??? They look gud! OK just looked it up.
they weigh about 18.9 lbs! Not exactly super lite.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 28 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #11

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

vcb

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 28 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(Borderline @ Mar 27 2007, 10:40 PM) *
How much do these "superlite" wheels weigh??? They look gud! OK just looked it up.
they weigh about 18.9 lbs! Not exactly super lite.

Weight wasn't a major factor for me. This is a street car. I just wanted something different and these wheels certainly provide that!
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Mar 28 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,937

I really like those!! so what is the proper wheel size ( bolt spacing ... back spacing , offset... 15x ?? ) for a 914 then ?! I have 4 lug fuchs and would like a direct replacement for them and so could I swap my 195-50-15 's to them... or another size that would work well with the tires I already
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 28 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #14

Mike Ginter

Mine are 15x7 25mm+ offset.

IMHO, In a 15" wheel your best option is the 15x6 in 24mm+ offset or the 15x7 in 25mm+ offset. Ideally, the best Superlite wheel for a narrow body 914 would probably be the 16x7 35+ offset.

Pack Racing Superlite page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 28 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #15

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

good info about backspacing and offset here
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Mar 28 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 28 2007, 09:39 AM) *

IMHO, In a 15" wheel your best option is the 15x6 in 24mm+ offset or the 15x7 in 25mm+ offset. Ideally, the best Superlite wheel for a narrow body 914 would probably be the 16x7 35+ offset.

...so those 15" opions I would be able to direct swap my current 195/50/15's?

what tire size would be needed for the 16x7 to get them to fit .....

I have never bought aftermarket wheels for the car .. I guess I will pull the newbie role on this one and ask straight out .. what is the best set up wheel /tire size and possible spacer for these for use on a narrow body teener........ and which lug bolts would be required for those set ups

... sorry but I really am not wanting to get a tire rub blow out or have the wrong size blots and loose a wheel while cruising along
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 28 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #17

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Mar 28 2007, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 28 2007, 09:39 AM) *

I have never bought aftermarket wheels for the car .. I guess I will pull the newbie role on this one and ask straight out .. what is the best set up wheel /tire size and possible spacer for these for use on a narrow body teener........ and which lug bolts would be required for those set ups

... sorry but I really am not wanting to get a tire rub blow out or have the wrong size blots and loose a wheel while cruising along

if you are ordering custom wheels... why use a spacer? get em to fit without a spacer!

fuchs 7" wheels have a 23mm offset. the 25mm offset gint used got them to sit 2mm more inward...
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 28 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #18

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 28 2007, 11:30 AM) *

if you are ordering custom wheels... why use a spacer? get em to fit without a spacer!

fuchs 7" wheels have a 23mm offset. the 25mm offset gint used got them to sit 2mm more inward...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

They aren't *that* custom Aaron. They only have a few sizes and they don't offer a 15" in 30 or 35 offset.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 28 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #19

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 28 2007, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 28 2007, 11:30 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

They aren't *that* custom Aaron. They only have a few sizes and they don't offer a 15" in 30 or 35 offset.

preaching to the choir.... i KNOW that. did you require a spacer? nope. use a 23mm or your 25mm if thats all they make it in.

im advocating doing the homework and research (find out what your camber is and how far inboard you can go to dictate offset and backspacing...)
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Mar 28 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #20

arron if you are trying to make me do my " homework " then say so .. but I already know that I am lacking in that area knowlage wise and that is why I asked ... not to pawn off on the folks that post here . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) yea I took the short cut to get to the best set up as a starting point and freely admitted to my taking that short cut .

gint thanks for the info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:11 PM