Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Repainting the 914: Down to metal, always?, Curious to get your thoughts
Repainting: Down to metal, ALWAYS?
What say you?
Better skin the panels, remove the fenders, and go whole hog [ 10 ] ** [5.35%]
Down to metal, no matter what -- it's the only way [ 83 ] ** [44.39%]
Strip only where you see rust bubbles, then trust the factory primer [ 64 ] ** [34.22%]
Prep and paint it as is -- but if it's only been repainted once [ 14 ] ** [7.49%]
Prep it quick and shoot it, who cares? [ 6 ] ** [3.21%]
I paint with brushes [ 10 ] ** [5.35%]
Total Votes: 187
Guests cannot vote 
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 26 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

So I'm curious to see what the collected wisdom and experience here says -- and I'd like to hear from those who are NOT/have NOT stripped the car of every part for a "rotisserie" style restoration.

This is for those of us with running, driving 914s considering a paint job yet less than enthusiastic about disassembling the whole car.

I'd especially like to hear from Dr. 914 and others who have restored multiple 914s over time and seen how the paint jobs held up. Is a rust bubble the kiss of death for all surrounding metal?

Thanks, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 66)
bandjoey
post Apr 16 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #61

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Run a new poll like this and you'll have your answer.

How long was your car on jackstands for a full stripdown paint job?

How much over budget was the final price?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 17 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I've been painting my cars since 1967. There will always be paint shrinkage. A repaired spot where the paint was feathered will always come back in my opinion if you keep the car long enough. New paints are better at controlling this to some degree but it still happens if you wait long enough. AS someone said earlier the old paint soakes up the solvents and then both the new and old needs to dry out. This can take a very long time depending on how much new paint was applied. Two years is my guess. If a car is going to be driven every day and in all kinds of weather a baremetal repaint is pretty hard to justify if you are paying a pro to do it. I think rust trails are under most original paint jobs but maybe not. The only way to know is to strip it and see. Most anyone that has spent time reading the very thorough threads here knows about most rusted areas of the 914. Those spots should get the most attention but any other areas that have been repaired from collisions or etc should be stripped if in doubt at all. New paints are way to costly to buy and redo in three years or so. I don't like chemical stripping anywhere a replacement coating can't be applied like inside the door side protection strip or under any welded on braces and so on. Maybe a redip of epoxy primer afterward but how do you know the chemical was completely removed? Usually unless it is mechanicaly scrubbed off it isn't. The outside of the car but not in seams ok. Soda blasting is nice but not for rust removal, but the new electrical removal seems to me the best for inside cavities and will not remove the good metal or warp it. Coating in the spotwelded seams is a real challenge as that where the rust is and could start over again. If I could afford electrical rust removal and dipping and had a car to put up and look at in a nice building for future generations to admire that is what I would do. As it is when I work on a area I keep in mind the future intended purpose of the car and try my best to make a repair last as long as possible. I've seen my friend watch a three yearold paint job start shrinking before he got the assembly finished usually because the owner was slow pay and he was attempting to keep the finish perfect till it left his shop. Thats inside a air conditioned and heated shop. If you've got a four year old paintjob and haven't discovered a repair or fg strands printing through, or loose paint at some edge or seam, or rust bubble, you've got a pretty good paint job.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Apr 17 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #63

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

My painter wouldn't even give an estimate until he saw the car stripped. This is a guy who previously had to come back and fix "hidden" rust in other paint jobs that were lurking under the existing finish. Once you eat a couple of those you get gun shy and he won't paint over old paint.

914's rust. Period. We all know that. When my car was media blasted we found numerous spots that were rusted that did not show with paint still on it. Several holes were blown right through thin areas that rusted from behind. My painter was quick to point out the reason of "bid after blast"

Several other good reasons apply to media blasting. The car can get primed within minutes of media blast before oily sweaty hands start touching the metal, the surface of media blast is a great bonding surface, media etches down deep in the "voids", the surface is uniform, repairs are much easier with clean metal and you can apply new materials from metal up that were all designed to work together and the list goes on......I would however not use "sand" and instead go to someone who specializes in minerals that do not generate heat as bad.

The only big negative I see is the complaint about the media constantly shaking out and making a mess. This can be resolved by spending more time while the car is stripped using an air hose and shop vac. In the long run I think it is the way to go although it does cost more.

Here is an example of what media blast will reveal....didn't look too bad until after blasting. Look inside the door handle cavity on the top. It looked perfect before blast and would be difficult to get power sanders into but showed up easily after blast.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jcb29
post Apr 22 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 2,646
Region Association: Central California

Great discussion and informative, folks - my problem involves addressing very minor rust areas in the trunk and engine areas. I'm not ready for a complete strip/paint job, just need to take care of a few small rust spots. Will grind down, prime and would like to "spot" spray with matching color (L31M). Question is - need suggestions/recommendations of paint touch up source. Thanks.
+Quote Post
MrKona
post May 1 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 4,469

QUOTE(jcb29 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:00 PM) *

Great discussion and informative, folks - my problem involves addressing very minor rust areas in the trunk and engine areas. I'm not ready for a complete strip/paint job, just need to take care of a few small rust spots. Will grind down, prime and would like to "spot" spray with matching color (L31M). Question is - need suggestions/recommendations of paint touch up source. Thanks.

You can try paintscratch.com.

EDIT: Interesting... I just went to their site and their color availability for our cars seems much more limited now as compared to when when I ordered from them in the past.
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post May 2 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 8,136
Region Association: England

Stripped by hand, all over, under and inside. Totally worth it (almost finished +2yrs working very part time) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
Only parts left in were: screen, dash and wiring loom.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i285.photobucket.com-8136-1272792541.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i285.photobucket.com-8136-1272792541.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i285.photobucket.com-8136-1272792542.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 3 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

There is nothing like the feeling you get knowing exactly whats under the 1000.00 worth of paint and materials you've used on a car.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 06:30 AM