Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the World needs now is... a progress thread, An update after 2 years? Unpossible! Yet, true.
VaccaRabite
post Nov 15 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #101

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No pics. Its dark by the time I get home, and I have been keeping my camera at work lately.

Yesterday I dropped my Cyl 1&2 head at a local shop to have a spark plug insert installed. Some of you may remember my posting on it from last week or so. The plug had been helicoiled, but the coil was coming out. I was going to do the insert myself until I saw the price of the install kits. OUCH! For a 1 off job, it was way cheaper to have my local shop do it.

I'll get the head back today, but a grad school final on Monday will keep me from putting the head back on. I really need to be studying. The course is billed as the hardest one in the program, and I believe it!

I was thinking I'd put the motor back in over turkey day, but then I remembered that the good Dr is not done with my tranny yet. So, I guess that will have to wait to go back in for a little while longer.

I put my SS fuel line into the tunnel last night, but did not have time to force it through the grommet at the front, so I guess that job is only 1/2 done. I still need to seal the insides of the gas tank, so I am not in a big rush there.

zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 15 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #102

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372

Dude, your tranny is only a few hours from completion. The fact that is is in YOUR garage and not mine is why it is not done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) I can do it the weekend after TG.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 15 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #103

En Garde!

Mike, i am so not complaining. Just sayig that I was starting to put the cart before the horse. It will get done when it does.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 21 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #104

En Garde!

So, more progress made, and still no PICS (looser!)

All of the silver trim pieces that I am keeping (save the door handles, and those might change too when I find the buggers) are now the same color green as the body.

I was going to paint them flat black, but I started thingking about it, and thought they would look better as body color. I painted them last night in my basement.

I also took all my engine tin to my favorite FLAPS (Broadway Autoparts, in Red Lion, Pa - if you live near there, you should shop there). I asked them for a referral to have the stuff degreased and bead blasted. "Oh, we do that. Just drop it on by." I love these guys. Their shop is a little farther away from me then the local Autozone, but I will drive that extra 1/2 mile every time. They actually know what they are talking about, have a machinist on staff, and have low prices. I also had them punch the roll in out of my pedal cluster, and install the timecert in my stripped spark plug.

When I get my tin back, I think I am going to paint it some sort of really loud, obnoxious color that contrasts with the obnoxious conda green the rest of my car is. Black is for sissies! I am thinking high temp candy apple red or something like that - so it will always be like Christmas in my engine bay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif).

Now that grad school is done until January, i have time to actually get work done. And I have a lot of work to do. I am behind my schedule to have the car done by mid April!

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 25 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #105

En Garde!

I'm becoming a DAPO! Well, not yet I supposed, but if I ever sell the car.

Today I painted the engine tin.

Ford Red! Krylon! Somebody stop me!

I got my tin back from the bead blaster. Man did it look pretty. I got the reddest hi-temp paint I could find from my favorite FLAPS, which happened to be Krylon Ford Red engine paint. Not as brite as I had hoped, but it will keep the tin from rusting, and will show me if I have a bad leak somewhere. And make my bay look festive, and thats what really counts.

I welded shut a hole that I know that I don't need in the tin, and painted it. In the basement. On a laundry rack that I did not think my darling wife ever used.

Turns out, she does use it. So I got in a spot of trouble for that one. But I did a ton of household chores, and that seemed to make it all better.

I also put the head back on my T4. I forgot to borrow the leak down tester from Mike (who borrowed it from Chris). So, I'll send them both an email and see if I can get it to do leak down and see if I have made things better or made them worse.

I get the last two bits from Broadway Autoparts tomorrow, and will paint them, then put them on the engine and maybe remember to take a picture Tuesday.

Also, I am ready to put back together my doors, and glue the trim back on. The doors are a huge PITA, but I guess I do need to do it. One less thing to worry about.

I need to make a chart of the work to be done over the next month. its quite a lot. Hopefully, I can take a big chunk out before classes start again.

Zach
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 25 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #106

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I went through the last 24 post od this thread and guess what I didn't find? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 25 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 7,931
Region Association: None

Oh man, I also read through the thing thinking "oh yea... here comes the pics" and..... "uh... what the...???" Yikes.... no pics. I'm soooooo ready for a picture of that thing. I'm a hair away from tearing into mine. I'll be pulling the motor next weekend. Maybe I'll start a progress thread too. Looks like it's theraputic to sit and type after working something out. Zach, nice job bro. Keep it up and take a look at mine when I start it so you can yell at me when I am about to do something stupid.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 26 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #108

En Garde!

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2007, 11:33 PM) *

I went through the last 24 post od this thread and guess what I didn't find? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

I will. I promise. I just want to get something done that is picture worthy. Everything of late has been dippy little stuff that does not really look much different from what I did in June.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 26 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #109

En Garde!

LOTS of imperfections, and a ton of paint work still to do to even everything out. But the painting is pretty much done, and I am getting towards putting it back together. Hey, its the first time I ever painted a car. A ton of stuff I learned, and a ton of things that I will want to do when I get mad and repaint it down the line. When (if) ScottyB comes up a few weekends from now as (hopefully) planned, I hope he will be able to give me some pointers on how to fix some of the weaker points without needing to re-shoot it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378262.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378262.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378262.3.jpg)

I am going to go back into the basement and put another coat of paint on my engine tin. I need to be done painting before Erin gets home from class, or its (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) for me.

Zach
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Nov 26 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

looks good zach...nice stripes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

-JON
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 26 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #111

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Absolutely Zach. I'll also help you string some lights on the car. Green car w/ red engine tin HAS to have some lights hung on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 26 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #112

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

From this chair it looks pretty good Zach (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I really like the color and the stripes. Are the stripes painted on or decals?

The assembly from this point is the fun part . . . my car looked like yours about 3 months ago, now its complete save for the front bumper. I found that the assembly got a lot faster the close I got to finished.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 26 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #113

En Garde!

No decals. I painted the stripes on.

It looks better in pictures then it does in real life. There are quite a few "iffy" areas. They might just need color sanding and re buffing.

As for Christmas lights.... Don't think for a moment that I have not considered putting a short string of LED lights in the engine bay. I figure they would wire into the trunk light. Probably pull less power then the trunk light too.

Zach
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 26 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #114

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

How about an inflatable snow globe in the front trunk ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
snflupigus
post Nov 28 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 4,163

has anybody ever seen a progress thread that didnt just sort of leave you hanging because it wasnt done yet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I guess thats why the call em progress threads. LOL
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 8 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #116

En Garde!

Its really (REALLY) nice out right now, and supposed to get crappy later AND I cleaned the garage last night so I thought I would take some pics of the engine in is freshly painted tin.

The patient is being patient. Has a little while yet before the motor goes back in.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378345.1.jpg)

Motor on my kit-bashed engine stand. Not pretty, but it works.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378345.2.jpg)

Some welding. My butt welding sucks (as can be seen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ) so I decided to just spot weld the heater vents closed. So much easier, and it looks nicer too. I did the butt welding as practice. I need to practice more. I'll paint the vent plugs when the weather warms up a little.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378345.3.jpg)

Passenger side (also needs painted):
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378345.4.jpg)

From the front (yes, the coil needs to be secured. I need to get the part.)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378345.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274378345.6.jpg)

Thats all I've got right now.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Dec 8 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #117

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

still have that rotisserie?

-JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 8 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #118

En Garde!

Nope, sold the rotisserie back in September or so.

Zach
+Quote Post
Allan
post Dec 8 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #119

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

How are you going to access the alternator in the event the belt breaks or needs adjustment with the access hole welded shut?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 9 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #120

En Garde!

Find a way. With all the FI stuff gone, Engine drops would be a snap. If I broke a belt on the road, I'd just get home on the battery. The car won't have much that draws anything. Heats gone. Radios gone. FI gone. Battery just needed for lights and ignition.
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 11:17 AM