Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the World needs now is... a progress thread, An update after 2 years? Unpossible! Yet, true.
Dr. Roger
post Jan 19 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #141

A bat out of hell.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

Zach, Right on.

Always good to see some progress happening with anyone here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 19 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #142

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Right now I am taking day quill, lots of hot tea, and cold ease. Its helping. At least I can breathe again.

I still have the "wobbly stuffy head" feeling, I guess 'cause my congestion is mucking with my equilibrium.

I pretty much have a classic, gross, hard on head cold. If there are any over the counter tricks that you have learned, man, lay them on me.

Back to the garage I go. More work to do. I am warm again.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 19 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #143

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

The common cold stuff is:
Dextromethorphan - anti tussive (stops cough), makes ya feel goofy
Phenylephrine - decongestant, replaced pseudoephedrine
Pseudoephedrine - good for drying you out and making you feel a bit like you are on speed

Then you have the histamine receptor antagonists like diphenhydramine (Benadryl, 1st gen = sleepy), acrivastine and Cetirizine (bendryl alergy and One a day, second gen, less sleepy), the best one is fexophenidine (Allegra,3rd gen, non drowsy, may not be appropriate for your symptoms. Enough info?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 19 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #144

En Garde!

In for the night.
I got the hard line run through the tunnel, and realized that I had misplaced the 90 degree bend that attaches to the next line. I decided that I was not in the right mental place to be working on brakes, and I'd go back into it tomorrow when my head is clearer (and after I have run to FLAPS to get a new 90 degree bend).

Zach
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jan 19 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #145

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

This is great...I'm just starting on my car. 1. How did you get your wife to understand the importance of this project for 2 years? 2. I like your rotisserie. Can you post a picture of how you attached it to the car, or a drawing/description? How did you get the car off the ground and on the rack? Ps. I'll give you the master bedroom and all the bar-b-q and beer you can eat for moving into my house and doing my car. GREAT Inspiration. Bandjoey
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 19 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #146

En Garde!

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 19 2008, 11:36 PM) *

This is great...I'm just starting on my car. 1. How did you get your wife to understand the importance of this project for 2 years? 2. I like your rotisserie. Can you post a picture of how you attached it to the car, or a drawing/description? How did you get the car off the ground and on the rack? Ps. I'll give you the master bedroom and all the bar-b-q and beer you can eat for moving into my house and doing my car. GREAT Inspiration. Bandjoey

First off, let me say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

1) My wife is the awesomest person that I know. I was pretty up front when I met her that I need hobbies, and she also knew that I had been thinking about restoring an old car since the before we met. Part of the criteria when we bought this house was that it had a garage that was big enough for her car, and also for me to restore another at the same time. I make sure that my end of the bills get paid, and that I make time for her, and everything is cool.

2) the Rot attached directly to the bumper attachment points for a 75-76 914.
If you look at the picture below, you can see at the far right that the cross bar for the rot is simply laid over the bumper mounts, and then through bolted. I put some stout washers between the ears of the bumper mount so that they would not collapse. Don't know that I even needed to do that, but it made me feel good.
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/518254975_9c86a11178.jpg)

3) At the rate I work, I'd be living at your house for over 2 years. If I can do this stuff, anyone can. It just takes determination, time, a will to learn, and a little cash now and again. Or, you know, a lot of cash to pay someone else to do all the work.

Start a progress thread. Take lots of pics. Stick with it.
Good luck!

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 22 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #147

En Garde!

I stopped by Josh's place last night and got the "new" case, crank, rods, rod bearings, lightened flywheel, other assorted small parts, and ideas.

I got to see, take some crappy cell phone pictures, and measure, his cable pull headlight system that I want to implement. I'd post pics, but not without Josh's permission, and the pics are crappy cell phone pics, not the usual quality that I put up.

I folded into Josh's car. My ass was almost too big to get in the damn seat. Looking at his car made me wish I had gone ahead and build my wiring harness from scratch as I had planned to do, but its in the car now and I am not taking it back out.

Any how, I need to have the case checked for trueness, then I'll slap my motor back together.

Over the weekend I also started installing my brake hardline kit. One of the rear lines was too long, and the other too short, so the guy is sending me a longer left rear line, and I will bend the right rear line to fit. The front lines ar pretty much done. But before bend and plug the passenger front line into the master cylinder, I need to install the steering column and rods, to make sure that the brake line does not get in the way.

I got the first big box of parts from Pelican yesterday, but did not have time to go through it. It was too cold, and I was running like a freshly beheaded chicken all freak'n day. I interviewed the last 4 day care centers, and put down deposits at 2 of them. At least one of those two should have a crib ready in late August when we need it.

I should have another 2 boxes of parts inbound this week.

I'm in class tonight and Wednesday, so Thursday will be my next chance to work on the car. Assuming that I have my turbo tie rods by then, my task will be rebuilding the front suspension and front brake calipers.

Lots of work, and very little time to do it. But I am seeing small bits of progress.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 25 2008, 07:20 AM
Post #148

En Garde!

I got my punched out cylinder back from Air Cooled Racing last night. Woo-hoo, I have 4 cylinders again!

My brake hardlines are in the car. Soft lines are not attached yet.

I got another box of parts from Pelican. I still have a box inbound from AA. Hopefully, I will be able to get some serious work done tonight.

On my way home tonight I have to stop by true Value to get some lite pneumatic shocks and some stock steel to fab my headlamp system (using Josh's setup as the model, not the "official" gt system.)

Zach
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 25 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #149

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Zach,

You gonna need the dial indicator and mount again?

It's still in the box and ready to mail... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 25 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #150

En Garde!

I think that you may be confusing me with another boardie, but I appreciate the offer!

Actually, I borrowed one from DrEvil last time Erin and I were up to visit him. What I will need is a leakdown tester, though. Probably not till the first weekend in February, though. I should prolly go out and just buy one.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 26 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #151

En Garde!

So last night I spent about 5 hours in the garage resulting in....
nothing.

In fact, I think that I managed to cock the dowel pin on the rear main bearing while I was getting the case back together. its a bitch getting everything lined up by your self.

Anyhow, I did not get everything torqued down before I tested the crank to make sure it spun freely (and, obviously, it did not.) Hopefully I did not screw up the bearing. The Engine is re-split, but it was 2am and I did not have it in me to keep going.

I'm about to head out of town for the evening, but when I get home tomorrow I'll take a look and see if I need a new bearing. for now, though, its time to go visit friends, and pollute his mountain range with some lead.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 4 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #152

En Garde!

So, more little chunks or progress.

Front calipers have been FTRed.
Turbo tie rods are installed.
Steering rack (and tie rods) and A arms are back in the car.
re-installed the mater cylinder (had to take it out again to do the steering rack - D'OH! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif))
Finished my brake hardline install, excepting the lines that run to the rear calipers (they still have to be rebuilt).
New bearings were ordered from Jake to replace the ones that I noobied up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) .

The front rotors are off. I thought I was going to have to replace them, but I might be able to have them turned one more time, so I am going to look into that first. I'm going to order new wheel bearings tomorrow at work.

I need to take apart the rear calipers and rotors. I bought a Mcpherson spring compressor to remove the stock springs and put on my 140#s when they come in this week. I have a feeling that I am going to have to bolt a jig to the floor to get the castleated nuts off.

I have a couple tasks that I am ignoring that need to get done before I can get much farther. To be honest, I'm a little intimidated by one, and the other is just uncomfortable. Dash wiring is the first, and attaching the clutch and throttle cables to the pedal cluster is the second.

I need to re-locate the bits to connect my front sway bar again. The main bar is still in, but the linkages to the A Arms are somewhere in the garage. *grumble*

Zach
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 4 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #153

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 4 2008, 10:39 PM) *

I'm going to order new wheel bearings tomorrow at work...I have a feeling that I am going to have to bolt a jig to the floor to get the castleated nuts off.

Nice work Zach! Can't wait to see the completed car and/or engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

When a front bearing went on my 71, I called my local NAPA parts store and they had them! A few bucks more but I was able to pick them up that afternoon and had them on that night.

What castellated nuts are you referring? If they're the ones on the drive shaft, I had that same issue when I bought my 5-lug suspension. I ended up mounting a tire on the assembly and had my buddy sit on the wheel while I jumped on the breaker bar. It worked!

Good luck with your engine.
+Quote Post
angerosa
post Feb 5 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #154

Member No.: 8,023

Zach, I just spent way too much time reading your post from the beginning at work. Congrats! Can't wait to see it!
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Feb 5 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #155

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Zach... I found that the wheel bearings were available from my FLAPS. Just went down and picked them up.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 5 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #156

En Garde!

I'll check my FLAPS thursday, since tuesday and wednesday nights are for mah grad school'n.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 5 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #157

En Garde!

I skipped class tonight.

So, looks like I had a DAPO brake job done at some point in time. 1 front rotor is worn, one looks like it has never been tuned. The two on the rear look like they have never been turned. Either there was something way funky going with dragging brake pads, or at some point the PO bought 3 new rotors and left on the old worn fourth one.

I guess I pretty much have to buy 2 new fronties now. Can't have rotors with unequal wear.

I put the front struts on, and can't find the locking pins. Grumble. It is in a tin around here somewhere. Oh yeah, and I chipped some paint on my fender when the strut slipped out of my hand. I'd love to get the car out of my garage before my paint job is totally ruined.

I got the rear calipers off an am getting ready to rebuild them. I could NOT get the castelated nuts off the rear wheels. I have a feeling that I am going to have to mount them back on the car, put the wheels back on, and put the car on the ground to remove them. Maybe Thursday.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 5 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #158

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 5 2008, 10:04 PM) *

I skipped class tonight.

So, looks like I had a DAPO brake job done at some point in time. 1 front rotor is worn, one looks like it has never been tuned. The two on the rear look like they have never been turned. Either there was something way funky going with dragging brake pads, or at some point the PO bought 3 new rotors and left on the old worn fourth one.

I guess I pretty much have to buy 2 new fronties now. Can't have rotors with unequal wear.

I put the front struts on, and can't find the locking pins. Grumble. It is in a tin around here somewhere. Oh yeah, and I chipped some paint on my fender when the strut slipped out of my hand. I'd love to get the car out of my garage before my paint job is totally ruined.

I got the rear calipers off an am getting ready to rebuild them. I could NOT get the castellated nuts off the rear wheels. I have a feeling that I am going to have to mount them back on the car, put the wheels back on, and put the car on the ground to remove them. Maybe Thursday.

Zach

Dude, I have broken 2 1/2" breaker bars trying to get those castellated nuts off. I recommend getting a nut splitter and replacing the nuts. It will be easier while the parts are off the car. I will be off this weekend and will be seeing you on Sat anyway. Maybe I can come over early....then I can work on my own damn car on Sun. Ya wanna work late on Sat as well? I may have access to two good used rotors if you are interested...you have seen the stash.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 5 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #159

En Garde!

Sat would be awesome.
But I don't think I'm supposed to know I'll be seeing you Saturday evening. Yeah, I know whats going on, but I'm not supposed to know whats going on, so I have to play dumb. As far as I know, its just dinner with Ross and Laura.

(IMG:http://rizak.info/AVATARS/150/sgt_schultz.gif)

Working after the party would be great, if you have the time to spare.

I nearly pulled a nut splitter out, but was worried about hurting the bolt. I have a feeling that is how I am going to need to take those bitches off though.

Zach
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 5 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #160

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I actually bought that big ass 1/2" impact from H.F. that someone posted about a month or two ago. It did remove an axle nut off of the car after a little heat and some PB Blaster. And not much of either of those. Surprised me...

Found the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=2623

This post has been edited by Gint: Feb 5 2008, 10:48 PM
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 01:19 PM