Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the World needs now is... a progress thread, An update after 2 years? Unpossible! Yet, true.
Dr Evil
post Feb 7 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #161

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 5 2008, 10:57 PM) *

Sat would be awesome.
But I don't think I'm supposed to know I'll be seeing you Saturday evening. Yeah, I know whats going on, but I'm not supposed to know whats going on, so I have to play dumb. As far as I know, its just dinner with Ross and Laura.

(IMG:http://rizak.info/AVATARS/150/sgt_schultz.gif)

Working after the party would be great, if you have the time to spare.

I nearly pulled a nut splitter out, but was worried about hurting the bolt. I have a feeling that is how I am going to need to take those bitches off though.

Zach

Not sure what you are referring to, but I was mistaken. I am going to BRIAN and Erin's house, not Zach and Erin's house on Sat. I just say "OK" when I am told where I am going. At least I will be local. Maybe we can work something out for Sun since I will be around the house on Sat and can work on my own stuff then.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 8 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #162

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

So, my plans tonight (friday) were to get the engine case back together and get my rear brakes rebuilt. Instead, I'm drunk on some nice single malt, and watching movies with my wife.

These things happen sime times. Tonight is good. :-)
Tomoorw, back to wrk.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 13 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #163

En Garde!

I have been VERY remiss in updating this thread. I have a few other threads lingering around the garage that hint to progress, but some ghas been made.

1) The engine has been run! Breifly. I had a rocker start to back off. When I fixed that I decided that I should rebuild the carbs. I am still waiting on the carb rebuild kits to come in. With the headers and the turbo muffler, the 2056 sounds REALLY mean.

2) I just got the axle nut bit for my impact gun to remove the rear axle nuts. I need to get the control arms on the car in order to take those nuts ff. then get the rear brake disks turned and reinstalled.

3) The front end of the car is done! Sort of. I need to get alignment done, and hook up the brakes, but the front suspension is back on.

4) I still need to sand out a few runs in my paint and re-buff.

5) I got the eastwood gastank sealant kit int he mail last week, during the monsoon. I need to seal the tank, and get it back in the car.

6) I need to rehook the electric bits back up, and see what works and what blows fuses. I am not looking forward to that part.

Once these bits are done, the car will be driveable! I am on the final leg now. I can feel it.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 15 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #164

En Garde!

My carb rebiuld kits came in.

I took one carb apart, and it was REALLY clean inside. I probably did not need the rebuild. But now that the gaskets are messed up, I need to rebuild it any way, and if I do one, I might as well do both.

I also went through my scrap bin and fabbed a tool to intsall the shifter bushing through the firewall. I had tried to install it for hour with various combos of hammers, screw drivers, and doweling. it took me 1/2 hour to make the tool, and 5 minutes to do the install. I wish I thought of these things sooner, it went really smooth.

I need to install the new rubber seals I have in the engine bay. I keep putting that job off as it does not look fun.

I re-did the push rod o-rings on the 1/2 head, and reinstalled without cutting any of them. I need to check the o-rings on the 3/4 head, as I have a drip coming from one of them.

I seem to have fixed the leak from around the oil pump. Not a single drip for a week, so that is pretty good.

But I did find that I have a slight drip from the ?taco plate? I think thats what it is called. I'll re-seal that during the first oil change.

Once I get the 1/2 side tin back on, and the carbs back on, I can finish running in the motor. I think that is going to go pretty smooth now. I might have it done this weekend, depending. A lot is on tap though, and I can't leave Erin with the baby for too long.

I got 1200* heat cloth sleeving around the speedo cable, and that needs to be installed. I also fabbed up a easy tie point that got bolted into one of the diff bolts. This is to keep the speedo cable off the headers.

Closer every day (at least ones Ifeel I can get free to work).
Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 15 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #165

For installing the firewall bushing, did you try soaking it in boiling water for a few minutes before installing it?

The engine bay rubbers are actually not hard to install. Use a putty knife and wiggle the bead into the channel rather than trying to slide it in from one end to the other. It took me less than 1hr when I did all of mine.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 15 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #166

En Garde!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 15 2008, 12:16 PM) *

For installing the firewall bushing, did you try soaking it in boiling water for a few minutes before installing it?

Umm... No?

I melt in water. Too dangerous. Once the tool got made, it pressed in really easy.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 15 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #167

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Next you can install the rear end by pulling it through the front ventilation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 18 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #168

En Garde!

I rebuilt the fist carb, and got the second taken apart. The fist one was pretty clean, all told. The second had lots of fuel varnish in it, so it is a good thing that I am cleaning it out. This task should be done today!

Zach
+Quote Post
scotty b
post May 18 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #169

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

R (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 18 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #170

En Garde!

I don't believe in fingers. I have to make due with fists. Don't poke fun at my alternative lifestyle.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post May 18 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #171

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

does your fist run better after the rebuild? You adjusted the thumb linkage correctly right?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 18 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #172

En Garde!

I'll let you know after I get it running again. I am tuning the carb mix screws to the same values they were before I took them off (1.5 turns out). Next time I run the engine, I am going to do it with the linkage off. It was idling around 2000 RPM, so I will let it continue to do that to get the rings seated. Then I'll start adjusting the mix screws until I get the idle to around 800 or so. When I get idle set, then I'll start worrying about the linkage.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 18 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #173

En Garde!

Both carbs are rebuilt. The engine is all back together. I ran the new speedo cable.

I was tempted to start it, but I had been outside for a while and felt I was at a good stopping point. Now I am posting progress and burping a baby.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 25 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #174

En Garde!

I just finished running the motor on my test stand for 20 minutes at 3K rpm.

Ran like a friggen top.

But it is LOUD. Like "My ears are ringing, I should have worn earplugs" loud. I think that maybe I should replace the turbo muffler with something a little more tame.

I am up loading video to Flickr now. It has some problems that I need to fix. Pushrod tubes are STILL leaking. Taco plate is leaking. Oil pump is leaking a lot. So, I am going to have to do a partial tear down to fix those issues.

I think that the rings are mated in. The motor smoked for the first five minutes. Then it all went away, except where oil was dripping on the header pipes.

I'd like to get help on these damn pushrod tube seals, and when I replace the oil pump seal. I am clearly doing something wrong.

I'll post the vids when they finish processing on Flickr in an hour or so. Very excited.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 25 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #175

En Garde!

Videos!

About 1 minute in.
Smokey first minutes.

About 7 minutes in.
Oil Drips - I need to fix that!

About 10 minutes in - and then it ran like this for the rest of the break in session of 20 minutes.
Running clear!

By the end of the break in, the only real smoke was from the oil burning off the #4 exhaust pipe from a frick'n leaking push rod tube.

Let me know what you think.

Zach
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 25 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #176

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That thing's pissin oil... Other than that, sounds good.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post May 25 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #177

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 26 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #178

Zach,
I can help you this weekend as I am staying local. I have a bunch of pushrod o-rings I think, if you cant score some by then ( you may not need to). We can get that leak fixed easy. The others may need new seals as the current ones may be buggered up. I will help you to put the oil pump seal in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 26 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #179

En Garde!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 26 2008, 10:23 PM) *

Zach,
I can help you this weekend as I am staying local. I have a bunch of pushrod o-rings I think, if you cant score some by then ( you may not need to). We can get that leak fixed easy. The others may need new seals as the current ones may be buggered up. I will help you to put the oil pump seal in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Awesome!

I have a new oil pump gasket inbound from Pelican, but it may not be here till the 6th. If you have a new one of those around, it would be rad to get all this knocked out.

I *think* that I have more pushrod tube seals from the gasket set. As it turns out, I had fixed the leaky ones on the 1/2 head - it ran dry for the entire break in. But all 4 are leaking on the 3/4 head.

Zach
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 26 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #180

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

does your fist run better after the rebuild? You adjusted the thumb linkage correctly right?

My fist girlfriend has always been there for me.

Calipers make it for the big weekend?
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2024 - 05:46 AM