Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the World needs now is... a progress thread, An update after 2 years? Unpossible! Yet, true.
ws91420
post Apr 23 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #261

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

Group: Members
From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

One question did you provide them with shims for the rear if they need them?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 23 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #262

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 23 2009, 05:45 AM) *

Car is now at Auto Camp. I left the house at 10:15pm last night, and got the car there around 11:30pm. The shop was HARD to find, and I drove past it several times. By midnight, I had my 914 un-hooked from my Subaru, keys in the drop box, and was on my way home. Got home at 12:45 AM and was really tired. Kinda weird to not have it at home right now.

My plan is to pick it up Friday afternoon on the way to Palmyra. I just need to be sure I am at the shop by 5:30, or the next time I can get the car is Tuesday (which would keep it from showing at Hershey).

My 914 was at the top end of the limit that my Subaru can tow, and I could tell. A better alignment should help reduce rolling resistance too. But I went slow (not over 55, usually 50 on I-83.)

Doing this at night was actually kinda nice, as there were less cars on the road. 'll be happy when I can just drive this thing, and not have to pull it. :-)

This place came well recommended, so I hope they do a good job. If they call back and say "sorry" like the last shop, I don't know what I'll do.

Zach

Hi Zach,

I've been following your progress & finally want to say great workmanship, it's a beautiful car. I like the green paint, but not wild about the black strips?? It shouts race car, I am a bad boy ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Post a picture of the little one when you take him/her for the first 914 ride. Can't remember if it's a boy or girl?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 23 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #263

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(ws91420 @ Apr 23 2009, 08:49 AM) *

One question did you provide them with shims for the rear if they need them?

They have the shims that were on the car when I got the car. back end should be pretty close to right, if it is not, then we will have to work out something else.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 23 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #264

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

I can get some probably if they need some. I think they are equipped, though. Also, if I have to, I pay for it and have it out side for you to pick up.....or I'll just drive it home cause I am not a pussy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 23 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #265

Paul said he saw your car and it was aligned, but it took some time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 23 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #266

Oh ya, bring the beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I have none (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 24 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #267

En Garde!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 23 2009, 09:52 PM) *

Paul said he saw your car and it was aligned, but it took some time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What did Paul think of my car?

Vince said it took 4 hours to get it right, but that is not uncommon with restorations.

Not to mention, my cars been beat up all to hell before I got it.

zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 28 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #268

En Garde!

I just pulled my exhaust off to take it to the powder coater sometime next week.

Also getting ready to drop my engine. Since I am dropping it to examin the pump, i am also going to upgrade the cam (going RAT) which will also buy me some schooling on what CR to shoot for. When I rebuild the engine the first time, I just set the deck height at .040 and called it a day, but did not really understand the benefits of going much higher or lower (power to heat ratio).

I'm also going to pull all the galley plugs just to make sure there is no oil blockage.

And, I want to see if I can seal that annoying oil leak. Still don't know where it is coming from. When I build the engine in late 2007/ early 2008 I learned a lot, and told myself there were things I'd like to try differently the second time around. Now I get to do that. It should not take me nearly as long to do this again as it did the first time. Most of the "WTF am I doing" fear is gone.

Most of it...

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 1 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #269

En Garde!

Today has been a very good day.

Today I got a call from the ceramic coater saying the exhaust for my 914 was ready to be picked up. I got my 914 engine back from Jake's where I sent for dynamic balancing, ready to begin rebuilding. And I got a PM from a machinist on the 715zone saying that my driveshaft relocation kit had shipped.

Today is the first day of a twelve day vacation. By the end of it, I may very well have both the 914 and the 715 on the road!

tomorrow, I gotta get up early. I got a lot of stuff to do!
+Quote Post
type11969
post Jul 1 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #270

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Sweet, good luck!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 28 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #271

En Garde!

I've not updated this thread in a long time...

Since the start of July, I got the engine in. Fucked it up by loosing the dizzy spring down the case. Took the engine back out. Got the spring. Put the engine back in (with the dizzy installed so as not to go through THAT again.

Right now I need to re-wire some wires that did not survive sessions of angry engine gymnastics. I need to find someone to hold the shifter in place so I can get the cone screw in at the fire wall. Exhaust needs to go back on.

I noticed that the (NEW) Terry throttle cable is tearing the sheath away from the pressed on nipple. I guess I need to replace it. *grumble* Exhaust needs to go back on after the shifter bar is in. Then it needs to be run to break in the cam and set timing.

Then I can try driving it again.
Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 28 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #272

I'm on my way over so I can help with the wires and linkage tonight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 28 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #273

En Garde!

Cool. I've got Theo duty tonight, but I'll be able to leave him in his play room for short stints while dinner is cooking to get the cone screw in.

If the weather is nice, I'll make grilled chicken tonight. you are welcome to some, as always.

Zach
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Jul 30 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #274

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

is it runnin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 30 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #275

En Garde!

Not yet. I gave the car some pity time on Tuesday, and have not even been in the garage since then.

Its possible that Mike has come over all stealthy like and done everything for me (like that time he put my engine in and I did not know till a few days later). Barring that, I'll be putting in time tomorrow.

I have new exhaust gaskets for the Eurorace coming in from Paragon, and a new throttle cable coming in from AutoAtlanta. neither were here today, hopefully both will be here tomorrow.

I want to drive the car to Plasket's cookout on the 14th. Which means I have this weekend and next weekend to get it up and running and drivable.

Zach
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Jul 30 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #276

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389

Good luck. My move and kids have been eating into my modify/fix cars time but the 914 is finally in a garage and I have space.

I am not affiliated with these guys at all, but if you need something easy in a pinch germanautoparts.com is in NY and I receive my orders from them sometimes the next day. Really good place for stuff you need in a pinch and they have a ton of oem 914 parts.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 30 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #277

I am wanting to come out tomorrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I have lots of bus stuff to do, andnew parts!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 1 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #278

En Garde!

So I got an hour or two of work on the car done last night after my little boy went to bed, but before I collapsed in exhaustion.

Carbs are back on. Fuel is hooked up. Everyhting but the exhaust is done under the car (I am still waiting for gaskets - but if worst comes to worst I can use the copper ones I modded - but I don't want to.)

Before I run the car I need to:

I need to replace 4 wires, once I am positive where they go.
Hook the battery up (hope nothing lets smoke out)
bolt the exhaust back on.
Sparkplugs in (going to buy new ones)
plug wires in (easy)
and then it is ready to run.

I'll get new plugs today. After that is it just about an afternoons work, as I spent about an hour last night with wire diagrams and I am pretty sure I know where my 4 errants go.

Zach
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Aug 1 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #279

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

kick ass man! get it on the road!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 13 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #280

En Garde!

Mike came over last night, and we got some good work done.

We got the rebuild started for the first time! YEA!
Then had to shut it down due to a loud ticking noise and a big oil leak. BOO!

The clicking noise (and oil leak) was due to an adjuster screw impacting the valve cover. The new Elephant foot screws that I am using were a bit longer, and one needed to be clearanced ~.01 inches. We figured the impacts were causing the valve cover to dislodge enough to leak. also, I needed to torque down the oil pressure relief cover a bit more, as that had a slight leak. No biggie.

Anyway, we fixed that, reset the valves and ran it again, but only for a minute as it it was near 10pm and I like my neighbors. Ticking was gone, and we could not see any new oil leaks (but we need to run it more to find them probably).

the good bits!
Engine sounded GREAT. Oil pressure came right up to about 50psi within a second of starting the car, which it never used to do before.

The amusing bits:
a mouse has been hording sunflower seeds in my muffler. I tried to get them out, but on start up I do have a debris field of sunflower seeds behind my tail pipe.

I also came to the conclusion that I am not going to get this car finished myself this summer - even as close as it is. So, I swallowed my pride and gave Mike a list of things to do. It only needs about a day, but my schedule has been so hectic of late that I don't even get to look at the car for weeks at a time. I NEED to drive it to Matt's party next weekend, and this is the only way it is going to get done.

Mikes project is at my place anyhow, so he is there frequently.

Off to a meeting.
Zach
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 07:15 PM