Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the World needs now is... a progress thread, An update after 2 years? Unpossible! Yet, true.
ghuff
post Aug 13 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #281

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,389
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My advice for that is to break your sleep up over two periods if possible with an understanding wife.

My wife lets me pass out for a few hours sometimes in the evening in order to go work on the 914 late so I can get more complete without being interrupted.

2 hour nap for me in the evening leads to 4-6 hours of night work on a good night, then another 4-5 hours of sleep before I have to get up and go to the gym then work for my days on.

Works for me, may or may not for you in the future. Good you have capable friends to help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 13 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #282

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

My day is ~16 hours long 4 days a week. No time for naps. It will remain this way until I I am done with grad school in Dec. of 2010. The nights when I am not in class, my wife is (we are both grad students and both work full time). When home alone, I need to be paying attention to my curious, safe cracking, toddler son. On the weekends, almost all my time goes into keeping the house up and doing homework.

As it is, the schedule that my wife and I keep in order to both finish grad school has been negatively impacting our health, putting strain on our relationship, and has relegated non-essential projects to just about stasis. I end up relaxing more at work then at home.

But, the light is visible at the end of the tunnel. I have made the decision that I will be done with grad school when I have this degree, instead of chasing another degree that I want as well. We have gotten our home upkeep pretty damned efficient, and we know that this year or two of hell will open a lot of doors for our families future. Its hard, but the payoff will be worth it.

In the mean time, I farm out my punch out list, and get to hang out with a friend at the same time. Its worth it.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 13 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #283

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

I should be heading over shortly to attack that work list. No biggie. How do I reposition your headers if I need to? I may just bend your shift bar slightly. It will be easier for me.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 13 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #284

En Garde!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 13 2009, 12:59 PM) *

I should be heading over shortly to attack that work list. No biggie. How do I reposition your headers if I need to? I may just bend your shift bar slightly. It will be easier for me.

Bend the bar if need be. Heat it with the torch and bend it in the vice. I am at the end of travel in the given slots for the headers, and I am not sure what moving them further will do in terms of leaks at the heads.

Theo and I are not going to the pool as we had hoped due to the forcasted weather, so I will be around to help a little.

Zach
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Aug 13 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #285

Member No.: 1,700

Zach, thought I'd reiterate here that my BBQ is 8/22. You corrected yourself in the other post. Thought I'd mention that here to ensure readers don't get the wrong date. Hope the extra time allows you to complete the car!

Mice - I hate mice! Found a second nest near the break reservour. Previous one was well camped in the glove box.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 14 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #286

En Garde!

Mike ran in the cam for 20 minutes last night without much in the way of drama.

Except for the oil leak that is still there.

We know that part of it is a leaking rocker cover seal. But there is also a leak somewhere else that only manifests when the engine is pressurized. Our guess was the pressure relief screw cover thing, so Mike removed it. We are going to give it a fresh crush washer and some case sealant just to be sure.

Of course, I complicated everything by a big spurt of oil when I filled it up.

And my other big fear is that the oil pump is not fully sealed, though I took pains to make sure it was totally clean after we pulled it to get that spring last month.

And yet, after 20 minutes of running, there was a depressingly large oil slick under the car. Some, if not most, is from the pass side rocker cover. Drivers side seems to be sealed fine.

Our plan is to wash the oil off with a little carb cleaner, replace the gaskets on the rockers, new crush washer on the oil pressure cover, runn it and see where we are. maybe run it on ramps so we get a better view of where the oil may be coming from.

Zach
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Aug 14 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #287

Member No.: 1,700

Keep up the good work Zach. I have drip pans under the 911 you can use when you bring the car here next weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 19 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #288

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

So, engine is back in and so far no leaks. All that is left to do is:

- Timing
- Carb adj
- Throttle cable install finish
- Clutch cable adjust
- Move the pass side parking brake cable under engine bar to avoid the header
- Adjust shift linkage
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 19 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #289

En Garde!

It WORKS!

It all just works!

No more popping. No more backfires. Charging system is charging. Head temps live between get to about 300 and 350. Oil temps got to about 210 and stayed there. Oil pressure was ~80 at start up, 40 when warm and driving, and around 10 when warm and idling at a stop.

I took off my exhaust last night and put it back together using a thick smear of copper RTV on the OD of the header pipes where they fit into the slip fits 4to1 connector. That solved my exhaust leaks.

All off the popping and backfireing from last week is GONE! The car is driving like a top. I just got back from a 30 minute drive around the backroads. The carbs seem to be just about perfect. Maybe a tad rich, but I have power all the way through the powerband. Cruising around in 4th at around 2K was fine.

I am so freaking happy right now.

Its time to give it a bath and wash all the garage dust off.

Tomorrow I am going to drive it to Erin's parents house 45 minutes away. Erin and Theo will be following in the Subaru for support, but I think I am ready to start venturing outside the 10 mile radius of my home that I have been testing it in.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 19 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #290

En Garde!

Some pictures from today after a bath.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274379342.1.jpg)
closeup of the finished shifter knob that I made a while back. It is starting to get further polished by the oils in my hands when I use it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274379342.2.jpg)
My interior is still a work in progress. Its passable right now, but I look forward to getting my seats recovered.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.static.flickr.com-179-1274379342.3.jpg)
My ride, all clean from a bath. It ain't perfect, but I like it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-179-1274379342.4.jpg)
My son saw a camera and came running. Kick ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.static.flickr.com-179-1274379342.5.jpg)
If I fix that headlight, I can't get it aligned right. I guess I'll just live with it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.static.flickr.com-179-1274379343.6.jpg)
My car. I really like the look of the front bumper with the ralley style driving lights. Now I need to wire them to turn on with the parking lights.

Happy day, today was.

Zach
+Quote Post
type11969
post Sep 19 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #291

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Nice, congrats!
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Sep 20 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #292

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) That is awesome.

what is the deal with the driver side eyelid, looks like it needs a little adjustment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

i have not had so much motivation, i am currently repainting my bathroom, and hallway upstairs. then i will clean up the engine bay a little. I still need to get the engine mounted on the stand, clean it up, and put it back togeather. Then We Can Race (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Sep 20 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #293

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

Wow Zach that looks great! Its come a very long way since I last saw it sitting on the rotisserie in your garage, how long ago was that? It's almost time to paint ours too, hope it comes out as well.
+Quote Post
Mary Shortridge
post Sep 26 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #294

Member No.: 10,616
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Oh my gosh, I just found your thread! This is AWESOME!
I'll be THRILLED if Buttercup comes close to that!
I was so pleased to see your shifter knob...dad plans to work on that for me.
Thanks for the inspiration!
+Quote Post
OU8AVW
post Sep 26 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #295

Yacht Rigger

Member No.: 9,601
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bravo! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
seebobgo
post Sep 26 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #296

Member No.: 5,273

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 15 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #297

En Garde!

Well....

I might be going five lug. If I do, I'll have a lot of pretty much brand new suspension parts for sale.

Zach
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 16 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #298

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 15 2009, 03:05 PM) *

Well....

I might be going five lug.

This will transform the look of your car. For me it was one of the funnest jobs as the front end (if you do a 911 front end) is a drop-in change. Are you going to use a 911 front end with underbody sway bar or just changing struts & hubs?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 16 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #299

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Zach,
Let me know if you are serious. I just picked up a 72 911 with 6 inch fuchs.....I may consider selling off the front end and wheels if you are really considering it.
We may sell it whole, but I want the rear suspension tube and arms for a special project.....

Rich
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 16 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #300

En Garde!

Scotty was able to more or less steal a 911 front end, and he offered it to Mike, who mentioned it to me. As I simply can't seem to leave well enough alone, I said I'd take it. It will probably be my 2010 winter project, so I will have a bunch of nearly brand new /4 suspension bits for sale.

I will be looking for wheels, and other assorted bits. I am trying to decide now if I want to go flares or not. See above about not being able to leave well enough alone...

Zach
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 09:18 PM