Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the World needs now is... a progress thread, An update after 2 years? Unpossible! Yet, true.
stepuptotheMike
post Jun 3 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #41

medium pimpin

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

progress progress progress..... looking great.

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RoninEclipse2G
post Jun 4 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #42

Suby Geek

Member No.: 7,701
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) cmon Zach, we know you've been up to something...
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 4 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #43

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

NO ZACH HERE, ONLY ZOOL
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RoninEclipse2G
post Jun 4 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #44

Suby Geek

Member No.: 7,701
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

oh go study something.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 4 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #45

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ Jun 4 2007, 07:17 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) cmon Zach, we know you've been up to something...

Indeed I have. Sadly, its grad school. Posting while waiting for class to start now.
I don't have class tomorrow, so I am going to try and squirt some epoxy sealer on the doors and both hoods, and the one or two places that I sanded down to bare metal after the last round of body sealing. The in class Wednesday after work.

I have monday - wednesday of next week off, and I fully intend to have a painting frenzy going on. Hopefully, by the time I sit down in class on wednesday June 13, I'll have a nice green car, nice and color sanded.

Well, 5 minutes till start of class, so I gotta seem interested. Looks like we are talking about Robert Mugabe today. Fun.

Zach
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jun 4 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #46

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Zack, just a suggestion, try cutting back on the paint feed adjustment and work slower.
and dont expect a smooth finish from primer sealer, a little grain or peal is no problem and should be expected, your filler primer will take car of that and when it's sanded smooth you will have a nice base to lay down the top coat. Top coat paint is way different than sealer or primer it will lay down smooth.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 11 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #47

En Garde!

Well, I just broke down and bought a pair of fiberglass rocker covers.

As I started stripping mine, the passenger rocker cover just exploded in a poof of rust and bondo. Yuck. I figured the time it would take to fix it, vs the time it would take to just get some of the fiberglass ones and paint them and put them on would make it worth my while.

I looked at just buying a new steel passenger side cover, but that was more expensive then the fiberglass set.

Okay, back to work. I need to sand the engine cover, then epoxy prime the doors, front an rear trunk lids, and the engine cover. my goal is to have that done before I go clean up for class at 5.

Zach
+Quote Post
ptravnic
post Jun 11 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 747
Region Association: None

Zach - Ur work room kicks ass! It'd look better if it had MY 914 in there getting all that attention....

I've got one hell of a farmers tan from working in the driveway...

Just m $0.02
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 14 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #49

En Garde!

So after several days of work, the car looks annoyingly the same.

My weekend was spent camping. 2 days of work gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Camping was good, and I forgot that it was on the calendar, so that was fine.

Monday, I epoxy primed the doors, trunk lids (both sides), engine lid and duck tail. I waited for that to dry, and put on a second coat. Cleaned my air brush and showered up for class.

Tuesday, I did some more body filler work where I noticed it needed it. I realized that I had forgotten to fix some deepish surface rust in the door seal channel, so those went off to the side. I started spraying on coats of high build primer, and was getting runs all over the place. Huh. So, by trial and error I learned what the "packing" bolt does. I also learned that the primer needs to be thinned out considerably, or it will not flow very well out of the paint gun. I was busy until around 11pm. I was planning on working very late into the night, but decided against it.

Also on Tuesday, I shot a rabbit from out of my garden (we grow rabbits in the garden too, you see). I was skinning it for dinner, and was wrist deep in gore then I hear a voice from around the corner. Some masonry guy who Erin had called to give an estimate for repointing our brickwork was standing there, staring at my gutting a rabbit. He took a quick look around the house, and said he would come back the next day to do a full estimate. He never showed. I guess I scared him off. Pansy. I made a rabbit soup, and laughed about the entire encounter.

Wednesday, I got up fairly early, and set up the shop area to make it easier to paint. I sanded the the F&R trunk lids, engine lid, and duck tail. I found some low spots, and filled them in with more body filler. On the body of the car, I sanded off the runs (there were not as many as I had remembered) but it still took a little time. I mixed up more build primer, and put two coats on the three lids and the duck tail. NO RUNS. Okay, I am getting the hang of this. I cleaned out my gun. I called Erin to see if I had time to mix and spray the body of the car again, but I did not. Oh well.

So, the car is not green yet. the body still needs another 2 coats of build primer, and everything needs sanding. And then I can make it green.

Except for the doors, which still need some rust ground out. Oh, and the headlamp lids and the little pieces that go in front of them - I totally forgot about all that stuff. I don't think I am going to bother stripping those pieces. Just sand them smooth, seal, prime and paint. Oh, and the rocker covers that I had to order Monday. Those will need done too.

I did get a lot done. But it does not really seem like it. The car is still grey, and seems like it has been grey forever (but its really just been a few weeks).

I am antzy. I want to get this puppy DONE.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 14 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #50

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

That rabbit story still has me laughing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Jun 14 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #51

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 14 2007, 09:15 AM) *

Also on Tuesday, I shot a rabbit from out of my garden (we grow rabbits in the garden too, you see). I was skinning it for dinner, and was wrist deep in gore.....

What did you shoot it with, a muzzle loader or a slingshot? Somehow I visualize you in your period outfit capping the varmit.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 14 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #52

En Garde!

QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 14 2007, 12:23 PM) *

What did you shoot it with, a muzzle loader or a slingshot? Somehow I visualize you in your period outfit capping the varmit.

Nah, we are not allowed to shoot firearms within the city limits of Dallastown. Granted, I live next to farms, and hear them shooting all the time. But I bought a RWS 350 Magnum .22 air rifle to cull the rabbits. Its not a firearm, so I am within the letter of the law, if not the spirit of the law.

Its a hell of an air rifle too. You don't see many .22s that will push a pellet at 1050fps. Usually, ~800 is the top end for a 22. Has enough power to put a lead hollow point 14 grain pellet through a metal mason jar lid at 45 yards. I was impressed.

*edit* Is it possible to be a liberal yuppie hill billy? it sounds like thats what i am...*/edit*

Zach
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jun 14 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

so, hows the paint coming along (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) thx for the heads up on the 2.0 ---JON
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 3 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #54

En Garde!

So, an update.

I was stricken with a sinus infection monday, and I headed for home about noonish. Get home ~1, go to bed. Wake up at 8:45 and make a doc appointment for 11:45. Back to sleep till 11. I _NEVER_ sleep like this.

Anyway, I go and get meds and start feeling better, so I figure I'll use the time to do some sanding. I have not really done more then look at my car for the past 2 weeks, so if I can get the body sanded down to 400, that would have me ready for color.

I get the body smooth, and I notice that there are still a few slight depressions on the drivers rear quarter panel. I made a choice. I am not putting any more plastic there.

On the front turn signal, I found a little high spot, where it sanded down to metal. Opps. I went to go mix some primer to shoot over the metal, and realized that I was out of paint filters.

That pretty much ended my evening. I could have done more sanding (both trunks, doors, roof and duck tail all need sanded) but I was feeling tired and ready to head in.

I'll go tothe paint shop thursday and get some filters in the morning and spray the bits that went down to metal. While that is drying, I'll sand the other stuff. By this weekend, I might be ready to start making the car GREEN!

Zach
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 3 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

nice...cant wait to see the conda green (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) -JON
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jul 3 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #56

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Zach I too have been under the gun to get my car painted, enough is enough it aint getting done unless I do it. After having the car sit in the body shop for 8 months with nothing happening I brought it home and I have been working hard on it. I sand blasted the front trunk the other day totally miserable, Hot dirty dusty work, blasted the inner door panels yesterday and cleaned them up and sprayed them with Dupont Variprime etch primer. This week I hope to get the rest of the rear trunk and engine bay finished.

I feel for ya, I am going through the same thing now, hang in there with me brother...

Conda Green car next to Signal orange car is the ticket.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 4 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #57

En Garde!

^^^ That Aircooled Racing car was the one that solidified Conda Green for me, when I saw it at Hershey.

Today I did not have much time to do much of anything, and am still feeling a little under the weather (but am no longer contagious, and feeling way better then yesterday). But I was also a little cabin feverish. So, I spent 2 hours clearing the rust from both doors. There was a lot of rust under the seals. I ground that out using a 2 inch wire wheel, and then hit it with some of that 2 part Eastwood Rust Converter (that stuff that turns rust black). Once that is dried, I think that I am just going to squirt a little JB Weld in there to fill the pin holes and add a little strength, then re-epoxy prime the area and then I can sand the primer.

It was one of those tasks that has been lingering, simple but I kept putting it off. Now its done, and I need to go shower up for a 4th of July party.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 6 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #58

En Garde!

So, I totally lied earlier, about not putting on any more body filler and just painting it.

I was sanding away on the car, and I kept finding little depressions. Suddenly I found myself marking them with a pencil.

Yeah, I just put more plastic on the damn car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) The rear trunk needed quite a bit, and the rear drivers quarter panel needed some, but not much. I'm waiting for that to dry, and do some chores around the house. Then back out for more sanding, and shooting more primer.

I really have to admire body shops that can do in a few days what it has taken me WEEKS to get accomplished on my own.

On the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) side of things. I shot my first coat of primer today that did not have any runs or orange peel. I have to admit, I'm getting better. I'm getting better all the time (I couldn't get no worse...).

Zach
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 6 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

when are you planning on paint?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 6 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #60

En Garde!

Depends on when I can get the sanding done. if I have time to get to it tonight, then I will paint tonight or tomorrow AM. if I don't have time to get to it tonight, then it will happen sometime next week. I can't start sanding for another 2 hours (primer needs to fully cure) but then I can see about putting on some green.

Zach
+Quote Post

16 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 07:21 AM