Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the World needs now is... a progress thread, An update after 2 years? Unpossible! Yet, true.
VaccaRabite
post Jul 14 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #61

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My tub is green.

Pics later.

Demolition Derby now.

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stepuptotheMike
post Jul 15 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #62

medium pimpin

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

Well just touch me in the morning and walk away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Isn't there a rule about making a color change, telling people about it and then not posting a pic? I can't hold my breath this long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Congrats on getting some color on

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 15 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #63

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Zach, what kind of compressor are you using?
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jul 15 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #64

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Your tub is green.... Great Job!
I hope mine is Orange this week....
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 15 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #65

En Garde!

Yeah, I know. Totally tardy.

It was too late when I got back from the demolition derby last night, and then I got up this morning to do 30 miles on my bike. Never made it into the garage today.

Here is a few pics from the derby to tide you over. I'll get some pics tomorrow after work (when I get more paint on the car too!)

Rubbin' is Racin'

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.static.flickr.com-1435-1274377239.1.jpg)

When I got home, I noticed I had this crazy sunburn on the back of my neck. I can't possibly explain it.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 15 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #66

En Garde!

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 15 2007, 11:48 AM) *

A Porter Cable 60 Gallon compressor. 7hp Peak, 3hp running. So far, it will run all my air tools just fine, though it will run continously on grinders and sanders.

I bought it early in the spring from here:
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/compres.../cplc7060v.html

At the time, it was something like $5 shipping, $449 NEW. it was the best deal that I could find. Amazon wanted $150 to ship the same unit. CRAZY I tells ya, CRAZY!

Zach
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 15 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

great pics man...cant wait to see the greeeeeeeen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 16 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #68

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 15 2007, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 15 2007, 11:48 AM) *

A Porter Cable 60 Gallon compressor. 7hp Peak, 3hp running. So far, it will run all my air tools just fine, though it will run continously on grinders and sanders.

I bought it early in the spring from here:
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/compres.../cplc7060v.html

At the time, it was something like $5 shipping, $449 NEW. it was the best deal that I could find. Amazon wanted $150 to ship the same unit. CRAZY I tells ya, CRAZY!

Zach

Thanks . . . shipping is up to 11$ for me now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It came ready to rumble right? (meaning with a regulator . . . all you need to add is the air line and tools)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 16 2007, 06:53 AM
Post #69

En Garde!

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 16 2007, 02:22 AM) *

Thanks . . . shipping is up to 11$ for me now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It came ready to rumble right? (meaning with a regulator . . . all you need to add is the air line and tools)

No. In the pic, the meter is just the pressure in the tank. The regulator, line filter and water trap, and fitings were all sourced from the local Home Depot. Remember to use plumbers tape when attaching the fittings and couplers, or there will be notable air leaks at all the joins.

Also, the compressor needs to be direct wired - I think that most larger compressors do. It does not ship with a plug. I ran a new circut from the fuse box in my garage to the compressor.

It also ships dry (no oil in it) but mine came with a quart of compressor oil to fill it.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 16 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #70

En Garde!

Today after work I put more paint on the car, and also painted the top and both trunks. I still need to do the doors.

I took 3 pics, but only one fo them got anywhere near the actual color of the paint.

So, here it is.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.static.flickr.com-179-1274378063.1.jpg)

I still need to do a lot of wet sanding. Likely, that will start when I get back from Cancun, as I doubt I'll have time to do much of it until then.
I have gotten MUCH better at painting. No runs or sags. Not much orange peel (but there is a little). I can see more places that should be filled and leveled, and I may or may not go back and do it. I should, I have PLENTY of paint. but I want to get the painting done and start getting it back together. *impatient*

its really nice to see the car as one color again. *REALLY NICE*.

There are some parts that I have not even begun to prep yet (the fiber glass rockers, the headlamp covers, and the little parts that go in front of the eyebrow.) I'll got to them eventually.

Zach
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jul 16 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #71

It all happens so fast!

Looking good. I got mine almost ready for paint I should see it Orange by the end of the week. Thanks for the motivation.

The first time I painted a 914, I wore a plastic Yellow Devo suit I had left over from Halloween. It was a sauna in that outfit and sweat kept dripping from out of the wrists onto the paint. It really, really sucked.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 20 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #72

En Garde!

Wet sanding SUCKS!

After I drop off DrEvil's tools to some stranger at the airport tomorrow (still a chance, man. 40,000 small unmarked pesos, and you may see them again - the clock is ticking) I am going to pick up a cheap air DA from Harbor Freight that I can destroy wet sanding.

I have a green line above where my rubber gloves are, with green smears on my hands where the water dribbled under the gloves. This is a messy job.

And I have that panicky feeling as I am looking at the mess I am making. Oh crap oh crap oh crap what am I doing to my paint.

man, I hope this works!

Zach
+Quote Post
stepuptotheMike
post Jul 20 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #73

medium pimpin

Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

But it looks like so much fun on TV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I mean... it only takes american hotrod a couple of hours. What's yer problem man? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jul 20 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #74

It all happens so fast!

My body guy never wet sands only dry sands.

A little trick I like is to use a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the water keeps the paper from loading up and sands, smoother and cleaner.

I was only able to get the trunks and engine bay in etch primer and interior floor pans in Por15 the rest of the body is all in primer. I can see light at the end of the tunnel finally. Sunday should I should see some color in the trunks and engine bay....

Keep up the good work Zack, it helps me stay on my toes.....
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 20 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #75

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Zach wet sand but do it by hand DO NOT use a da !! DA is WAAAYYY to easy to break through. Wet sand by hand starting with 1000 grit and progress at least to 1500. If you go higher the end result will be that much better. Sand with the 100 grit periodically wiping the spot DRY until the orange peel is ALMOST gone then proceed to the 1500. By doing this you will lessen the chances of burning through. Once you are done with the 1000, all you want to do with the subsequent grits is remove the previous sanding scratches. Do not try to eliminate all of the orange peel with the 1000. I can't stress enough how many times people try to do that and ruin the paint job by sanding to much. Chappy I may be wrong because I don't know your guy but I would be willing to bet he wet sands the FINAL coat be it 2 stage or single stage. I've been doing this for several years and have yet to know of anyone who dry sands the last coat prior to buffing. Paper won't sand as well,is harsher on the paint and loads up super quick.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 21 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #76

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Harbor Freight has 1000, 1500, 2000 grit paper for cheap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Jul 21 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #77

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

Zach wet sand but do it by hand DO NOT use a da !! DA is WAAAYYY to easy to break through. Wet sand by hand starting with 1000 grit and progress at least to 1500.

And, I thought when you wet sanded, you were supposed to sand in one direction?

Zach, if you don't have a polisher, HF sells a decent polisher for about $30. You will want to buy some good bonnets and a good velcro disc from your bodyshop supply.

OH and one more thing, when I wet-sand I try to start soaking the paper a few hours before I need it so it gets really saturated. And I do add some dish soap to the water.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 21 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #78

En Garde!

Well, I had to sprint back home today from the airport to make it by 1, so I did not have time to swing by HF.

But I think that I am going to have to sand the current paint almost all the way back to primer and shoot another coat. last night I did the passinger quarter panel, and it looks way better after wetsanding now.

Fact is, I made an error when laying down the initial paint. I painted and went to bed. A few days later I added 2 more coats, but did not knock the shine off the initial base coat. So while color sanding, I was getting all these weird patterns where the base coat shine was comming through. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Live and learn, I suppose.

So with my test panel, I wet sanded down with 400 grit paper, and then 800. Dried everything, and shot it with a semi-heavy coat and let that dry over night. Wet sanded with 800 this morning and it looked MUCH better.

So now I need to do that for the rest of the tub. Weeeee.

I wonder how much I can get done before I leave for Cancun tuesday morning.

In the realm of good news, while I was waiting at the airport to give Mikes tools away, there was a Stearman and 2 AT-6 giving rides. I brought my camera, just cause there is usually something cool there. Now I have a new background for my PC.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.static.flickr.com-179-1274378096.1.jpg)

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 21 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #79

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Thanks for driving my tools to the airport, Zach. You should have seen Josh trying to land on the postage stamp of a runway we have here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) took 3 times, but he did it without incident (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 23 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #80

En Garde!

So this weekend felt like a total disaster in the realm of automotive restoration. The paint issues have me totally bummed out. Saturday, I could not bring myself to do more wetsanding to really knock down the paint like I need too. So I thought I would clean my tranny case.

The transmission that came with the car turned out to be fubar. But the case was clean. DrEvil and I got a parts tranny to rebuild the mine. but due to galling, I could not use my nice, shiny case. I had to use the parts case - which was covered from stem to stern in 1/2 inch of compacted dirt and oil. I took out the diff and speedo gears, and started spraying it down with breakclean. I scrubbed with a wire brush. I sprayed it with my power washer. After 3 hours of working, the tranny was as clean as it was going to get. I was covered with grease and dirt from the toes to my head.

I also cleaned out the central diff. Bits of brass and steel came out of it from a bearing failure. I cleaned it as well as I could, but it does not turn easily all the way around. Mike, I'll want you to look at it, but hopefully we will be able to use the Diff out of the other tranny I have.

And then I saw my driveway.

HOLY CRAP! MY WIFE IS GOING TO KILL ME! It looked like the freak'n Exxon Valdeze ran aground at the top of my driveway. I then spent another hour trying to clean up the mess, which just seemed to spread it around.

I was tired when I was cleaning the case (it was so fugg'n gross), and about at the end of my rope when I realized that the driveway was just going to have to be stained.

For some reason my wife did not kill me. Instead, I cleaned up as well as I could (I still have spots of dirt on me, 2 days and 3 showers later) and we went to a local bar for dinner, an Elvis impersonator, and a metric fuch tonne of beer.

Sunday Erin and I went on a 40 mile bike ride (training for the 100 miler, we are right on track). When ever I thought about my car, I got mad. So I decided that I was not going to even look at the car until I get back from Cancun.

I wanted to be further along that I am right now, but the paint killed that. The car is going to come off the rotesserie Aug4, whether it is really ready too or not. But until then, I am just not going to touch it, or look at it, or even think about it.

Zach
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 09:30 AM