Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> East Coast Cookout 2007, New info on POST 1, as of Aug 21, 2007. Please look!
VaccaRabite
post Sep 16 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #381

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 16 2007, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 16 2007, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 16 2007, 10:29 PM) *

The talented Dr. Evil

What the.... How much beer went into that creation!

AWESOME!

Zach

That is by far one of the coolest gifts that I have ever received! That was made by Root and Jim and makes me fell incredibly flattered, honored and lucky to have such cool and talented friends (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

How the heck did I miss that? You get it while I was out with Ray for gear oil? Erin saw it, so I know it was before we kicked out. Thats cool as hell dude! Hey, did you (well, Noel) remember the cooler?

I have to say, my personal favorite cars are pretty much the same as Ricks.
My top 2 arn't even 914s. That T4 bug, and the sandrail. Way cool. After that, the yellow 914 with the 1.8T and the red 914. Really pretty car.

That yellow car was funny. I bunch of us are standing looking at the back. "What engine is that?" I recognized the manifold, so I said, I think its either the 18.8t or the 2.0t from a modern VW.

Yeah, the car was badged 1.8t. Where the hell were you, Capt. Obvious? 4 guys looking at the ass end of that car, and none of us paid attention to the badging. The keg had not even been capped yet.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 16 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #382

Its alive

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Any pictures of the 1.8T car?
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Sep 17 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #383

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I'm glad y'all enjoyed the beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) It was a really simple one, really...

Mash-Tea:
1 lb. M20 crystal malt, steeped at 150 degrees for 30 minutes in 1.5 gallons water; collect the tea for the boil.

Full Wort Boil (using 8 gallon kettle and Cajun cooker):
7 lb. Muntons extra light dry malt extract
1 oz. Centennial leaf hops @ 9.8% - 60 min.
1 oz. Fuggles leaf hops @3.6% - 30 min.
1 tsp. Irish moss - 15 min.
1 oz. Fuggles leaf hops @ 3.6% - Flameout
Chill to 75 degrees before pitching yeast; add water as needed to make 5 gallons

Yeast:
1 packet Nottingham dry yeast, hydrated in 1 cup cooled boiled water

Ferment in primary for 4 days. Place 1 ounce Fuggles leaf hops in secondary and rack beer onto hops. Secondary time just under 6 weeks; rack to keg and force carbonate.

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.1%

I use Muntons extra light for almost all extract batches any more. It never gives me a sour "extracty" taste. But I think the leaf hops really make it... almost all of my pale ales use leaf (rather than pellet) hops.

And of course the magic secret ingredient... all my beers are brewed with love.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 17 2007, 07:18 AM
Post #384

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 17 2007, 01:05 AM) *

None of the engine area, at least that I took. it was parked under a tree, and the engine was very shaded. If I had shot it, it would have been too dark to see detail.

The rear trunk was removed, with a tube frame for support. The 1.8 engine is a TALL engine, and the engine bar was really close to the ground. 3-4 inches for ground clearance max. With the rain tray removed, he had a little more room to move the engine up, but they had measured height with the rain tray in. It looked like a really solid conversion, so long as you did not need your rear trunk.

The turbo sat out behind the engine, I don't think he was running an intercooler.

This was the car from the outside. Note all the folks checking out the engine.
(IMG:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1217/1388777653_ddf7edaab7.jpg)

Zach
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 17 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #385

Member No.: 7,322
Region Association: South East States

Thanks to everyone for an unforgettable time. Matt and family, thanks so much for hosting this event, and also for giving me the honor of leading our cruise. As this was my first 914 event, that made it all the more memorable. Hope I didn't drive too slow for everyone, but we were trying to keep the group together (still lost a few!).

Ken, that was some killer homebrew. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I'm going to try to make your recipe sometime.

Everybody was cool. I got some great ideas for my car. Can't wait until the next get-together!

+Quote Post
root
post Sep 17 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #386

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

QUOTE(plas76targa @ Sep 16 2007, 08:36 PM) *

Oh yeah, Zach I believe you left a red foldup chair. Now that the car runs I could zip up to York to drop it off.

Matt, It's my red chair! Don't worry about it I'll pick it up sometime when I'm up your way again or you can bring it if you come to VBWSII at my place this November! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Sep 17 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #387

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

It was a great event, too bad I had to be the first one to leave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Nice meeting a lot of new faces and seeing some really trick cars...seriously...I haven't see stuff like a 1.8T, 2.7 w/ crank-fire, a 3.2, rat-rod 305v8 and other assorted goodies in one place before...not to mention 2 mint condition 912Es, and a Beatle type IV transplant.

Great stuff, just VERY sad I couldn't sample the beer before I had to leave.

I'll stay longer next year, that's for sure!
+Quote Post
atomix8
post Sep 17 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #388

Member No.: 8,105

Matt thanks again for hosting, it was a great event. Sorry I couldn't stay longer to enjoy the food and the beer...but I did at least get to Pittsburgh by 9pm (plenty of time to drink much worse brew).

It was fantastic to see everything from almost stock to incredibly modified there!

Got a wave from a Ferrari F430 driver, a Lotus Elise driver and a Boxster S on the one hour drive back to Baltimore. In other words, purchase price justified (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 17 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #389

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Matt & Katherine,

Thanks for a great time. Thanks Zach for pulling this together. Hope we didn't piss off the neighbors with all the exotic cars. Here's the good doc at work.

I finished off the weekend with a good round of golf with my brother in Leesburg. On the 168 yard par 3 18th over water, I birdied the hole with a 40 foot putt...after putting 2 balls in the water. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Got an additional treat today of a trip around the tarmac at Dulles Airport. My bro's company was finishing concrete on the new terminal and he had to drop off a trailer full of equipment. At one point we were driving along the tarmac right beside a 737 taxi'ing to its gate. Didn't get to see any 747s but there was an Airbus A340 and a 777 parked.

Spoke

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Sep 17 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #390

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

Attached ImageActually the turbo is in it's stock position on the side, and the intercooler sits to the back of the engine. All together it is too tall for the rain tray, more reason to go faster! The mission of this car is an auto-x toy 1st. I put all the steel panels, doors, and street seats back on for this road trip.

Kevin

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 17 2007, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 17 2007, 01:05 AM) *

None of the engine area, at least that I took. it was parked under a tree, and the engine was very shaded. If I had shot it, it would have been too dark to see detail.

The rear trunk was removed, with a tube frame for support. The 1.8 engine is a TALL engine, and the engine bar was really close to the ground. 3-4 inches for ground clearance max. With the rain tray removed, he had a little more room to move the engine up, but they had measured height with the rain tray in. It looked like a really solid conversion, so long as you did not need your rear trunk.

The turbo sat out behind the engine, I don't think he was running an intercooler.

This was the car from the outside. Note all the folks checking out the engine.
(IMG:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1217/1388777653_ddf7edaab7.jpg)

Zach

+Quote Post
crash914
post Sep 17 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #391

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434

Thanks all!

It was good to catch up with you all and see what you have been doing with all your toys..

Thanks to Matt and Katherine, Rick, ken and all others who made this possible.

Matt, now that your car is running, come on by! Rick, lets get busy and get that 2.0 in....
all in all, great event, too bad we got there a little late without a running car...always next year..
+Quote Post
evan
post Sep 17 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #392

Little Bean

Member No.: 4,767

Katherine & Matt,
Thank you for providing a wonderful place to have a meet! The Anemeties were perfect. BEST home brew I ever had, nice country drive and great company.
Thank you
Little Bean
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Sep 18 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #393

Member No.: 1,700

Hey Root - did you leave a pair of needle nose vise grip plyers? or are they Dr Evils?
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Sep 18 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #394

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(plas76targa @ Sep 18 2007, 02:21 PM) *

Hey Root - did you leave a pair of needle nose vise grip plyers? or are they Dr Evils?

Dr. Evil is gonna need them for his surgery class! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
root
post Sep 18 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #395

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

QUOTE(plas76targa @ Sep 18 2007, 11:21 AM) *

Nope I don't think they are mine, must be Evil's.

Matt, It's my red chair! Don't worry about it I'll pick it up sometime when I'm up your way again or you can bring it if you come to VBWSII at my place this November! welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

But I'll claim the red chair! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 21 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #396

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Here are a couple of pics taken of yours truly and the live entertainment. Root on rhythm guitar, JPB on Bass, Scotty B on the trash can and kitty litter drum set, and me on lead and vox:
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rock_band.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 21 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #397

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Wow you look a bit f-ed up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Me on the other hand well I'm trashed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
PinetreePorsche
post Sep 21 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #398

Member No.: 5,124

Busy week here-- just got my first look at the photos. Good stuff, and a fine day we did have. Esp. thanks to the host, but also to all the longer distance drivers-- I had it easy, less than an hour. The drive up the mountain was a beauty-- glad I had my top off! And sorry I had to get on home, so missed the rest of the drive and the evening's shenanigans. A great tradition--let's keep it up. -Chris H.
+Quote Post
stepuptotheMike
post Sep 22 2007, 06:42 AM
Post #399

medium pimpin

Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

John looks like he's asleep in that last one..... that or really.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

sorry I had to get back on the road before the evening fun.

-Mike
+Quote Post
JPB
post Sep 22 2007, 06:53 AM
Post #400

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Ha, I was just feelin it bro; usually play and sing with my eyes closed. Evil sang a very cool original song and we all felt it, that was a very cool moment, it flowed and we actually sounded pretty good. ScottyB actually made them trash cans sound musical, now thats was impressive. I think we could have played all night long with a little more beer. Notice the audience of one. Cool pics Mike! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2024 - 07:28 AM