Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> auto X in Marina, LPR
smokey
post Jun 26 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,816
Region Association: None

Any one interested ? Andy will have the 3.6 there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Hey andy. Can i have a ride ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . i want to know what my 3.2 will feal like.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
grantsfo
post Jun 30 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #21

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

The Beast made it with very tired looking crew, Its a wicked fast Beast. It will be even faster once they get things sorted out 100%. I think it still set TTOD. Andy's car is ripping fast - who can start in second gear and burn rubber from a stop? ...Andy can! I decided to drag my car down too. Bill (Borderline) ran DOT R rubber and was setting some very respectable times in the afternoon. Chris gets the award for getting his street tires to howl around the entire course. The other two 914's had the skinest tires ever and both get the understeer award..

Overall I sure had fun - great weather and fun little course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 30 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 30 2007, 04:45 PM) *

The Beast made it with very tired looking crew, Its a wicked fast Beast. It will be even faster once they get things sorted out 100%. I think it still set TTOD. Andy's car is ripping fast - who can start in second gear and burn rubber from a stop? ...Andy can! I decided to drag my car down too. Bill (Borderline) ran DOT R rubber and was setting some very respectable times in the afternoon. Chris gets the award for getting his street tires to howl around the entire course. The other two 914's had the skinest tires ever and both get the understeer award..

looks like the beast is going back into it's cage. rumor has it, it DID break. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

my car is too fast. well, for now, at least. i'm back to the drawing board (see post with same title) ...

but most importantly, i had FUN out there today. and nothing broke ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Jun 30 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #23

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 30 2007, 05:45 PM) *

Overall I sure had fun - great weather and fun little course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Hi Grant,

It sure was a nice day to AX! And I was happy to see you get your car out there even though you were under the weather....maybe playing with your toys will help you feel better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I don't know if The Beast™ got TTOD. If it did, it wasn't fair and square since we were always wrenching on the car fixing things and the Loma Prieta Region was gracious enough to let us run back to back runs a couple of times to get our alloted number of runs in. If we do win TTOD, we will declare we were doing "fun" runs...we were there to sort the car.

The Beast™ continues to haunt me to no end. Our crew spent the entire night working on the car and after 3 and 1/2 years I was stoked to see her run. But it wasn't to be. I didn't get to run the car due to a host of problems with it. Par for the course during this build. So I watched Randal and B drive but I didn't take a run.

We did prove that the Sheridan body work cannot take a hit by an AX cone. We split the nose piece when we were doing spinouts and cone collection manuevers. We will need to go back to Yeaman Autobody for some work. And the topper was that during one of B's runs we may have lost a rocker or encountered a mechanical failure in our motor as the engine now has a nice load metal ticking sound.

Just another day in the saga of The Beast™.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Bill P.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 30 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #24

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 30 2007, 06:53 PM) *

Hi Grant,

It sure was a nice day to AX! And I was happy to see you get your car out there even though you were under the weather....maybe playing with your toys will help you feel better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I don't know if The Beast™ got TTOD. If it did, it wasn't fair and square since we were always wrenching on the car fixing things and the Loma Prieta Region was gracious enough to let us run back to back runs a couple of times to get our alloted number of runs in. If we do win TTOD, we will declare we were doing "fun" runs...we were there to sort the car.

The Beast™ continues to haunt me to no end. Our crew spent the entire night working on the car and after 3 and 1/2 years I was stoked to see her run. But it wasn't to be. I didn't get to run the car due to a host of problems with it. Par for the course during this build. So I watched Randal and B drive but I didn't take a run.

We did prove that the Sheridan body work cannot take a hit by an AX cone. We split the nose piece when we were doing spinouts and cone collection manuevers. We will need to go back to Yeaman Autobody for some work. And the topper was that during one of B's runs we may have lost a rocker or encountered a mechanical failure in our motor as the engine now has a nice load metal ticking sound.

Just another day in the saga of The Beast™.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Bill P.

Oh man! That sucks I thought you guys just had shifting problems as I heard what sounded like gears grinding. ...didnt realize you had motor problems. Hope its not bad. If it makes you feel better that car was fabulous when it was running close to 100%. It hooks up like crazy.

Its going to be a wicked fast track car once you get everything sorted. If I had budget I would love to build a car very similar to The Beast, but with a 3.6.

From my perspective you all set your times fair and square.

On a side note those guys driving that big red BMW were decent drivers and it was hilarious watching that thing.

+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jun 30 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,577

Wow!!! I can't believe that 4 year old Victoracers would be 2 seconds faster than my Azenis! Well I'm hooked on Dot R rubber!!! I figure that with a little care I can get these to last the rest of the season and get new stuff next year.

Those guys in the bimmer were sorting the car out for a "24 hr" race at altamont next weekend. The car can't be worth more than $500!! (by rule).

Chris really has that car moving!

Jane took a bunch of photos. I'll post some as soon as I them downloaded.

Great day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 30 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #26

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 30 2007, 09:02 PM) *

Wow!!! I can't believe that 4 year old Victoracers would be 2 seconds faster than my Azenis! Well I'm hooked on Dot R rubber!!! I figure that with a little care I can get these to last the rest of the season and get new stuff next year.

Those guys in the bimmer were sorting the car out for a "24 hr" race at altamont next weekend. The car can't be worth more than $500!! (by rule).

Chris really has that car moving!

Jane took a bunch of photos. I'll post some as soon as I them downloaded.

Great day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I bet you brought them back to life with that Formula V... They were pretty freekin' hard. Another thing to think about though and I brought this up before, I used my Yoko A032R tires which were brand new and the Revolutions with those Victorocks at the same event. I was about 2 seconds faster with the wider wheels and the same size tires. I think the tires work better with the wider wheel. Just a thought...
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jun 30 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #27

Some photos

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jun 30 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #28

More

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jun 30 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #29

Yellow car with yellow wheels...

Question: should I paint the wheels to match the yellow of the car or paint them black?

Jane took over 200 photos!!! If anyone desires more photos of their car or wants higher resolution...PM me.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 1 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #30

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 30 2007, 10:04 PM) *

Yellow car with yellow wheels...

Question: should I paint the wheels to match the yellow of the car or paint them black?

Jane took over 200 photos!!! If anyone desires more photos of their car or wants higher resolution...PM me.

Black... Very glossy black with a Porsche negative stripe in black. Nice wheels Bill.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 1 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #31

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Here you go Bill! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 1 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #32

Apex killer!

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 1 2007, 12:43 AM) *

Here you go Bill! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Nice. Reality is that there would be some gleaming brake rotor in there as well but it looks good. The other possibility is to match the car. Lastly, go blue and had a blue negative stripe put on the car to match the wheels.
Most excellent change though Bill...
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jul 1 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #33

Thanks Mark! Looks like black it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Rob: I really like the wheels (& tires)....almost wish I had bought the other set too! Do you know what type of paint was used on the wheels? Powder, enamel, urethane? Just trying to figure out if I can remove it easily or paint over it.

Now I gotta get the car to rotate and put some power down on corner exit. we're havin fun now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jul 2 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #34

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

Marina was awesome. 13 timed runs then 6 more fun runs, and no problems at all with the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
My last AX was 8 hrs and 4 runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
There were 2 spots on that course that were understeer nightmares, slow and tight. I've had my rear welty sway bar off for the last 2 events, and kinda wondered how it would have helped this weekend. Almost everyone was diggin in, so I didn't feel too bad. With whatever pressure I put on myself to go fast, it was off in the fun runs, had lots of fun,and I worked on some later braking points to set-up better for those slow turns. I was able to get a nice controlled swing out of the rear to start the corner with some late/trail braking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
I was also racing through the post-timing gate section, which was another 2 turns to swing through (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
I've definitely reached the point where I am confident enough in the car and my driving to push the friction circle through every bit of the course. My tires are screaming for mercy! The way I see it, I gotta keep this up so I can wear them down and justify buying something bigger and stickier (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Bill - go gloss black on those rims vs. mellow yellow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Andy - can I borrow 100 HP at the next AX? You have some to spare (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Bill/Randal/Brad - The Beast was frickin awesome to see, many wins are in that car's future. Maybe a reliable 3.6 will be cheaper in the long run than a fussy 2.7 race motor? I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see that thing in action again. A Parade contender for sure - next year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 15 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #35

Resident German

here's the course map ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 16 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #36

Resident German

and the results (top 10 plus 914s only):

1. Bill Pickering, 914 GT (The Beast) = 34.620
2. Ken Jones, Boxster = 35.074
3. Randall Barrick, 914 GT (The Beast) = 35.256
4. Grant Keyser, 914-6 = 35.566
5. Joe Hoppa, Honda S2000 = 35.792
6. Andy Schmidt, 914 = 36.375
7. Rob Woollen, 993 T = 36.508
8. Bill Dally, Boxster S = 36.584
9. Jeff Reitmeir, BMW = 36.860
10. Roger Haskins, 911 = 36.891

12. Bill Charron, 914 = 37.351

17. Chris Pincetich, 914 = 37.708

40. Larry Chappel, 914 1.8 = 42.882
41. Brian Harney, 914 = 44.118

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Andy

PS: i thought for sure the 993 had me. he looked so damm fast out there ...

PPS: and i also thought for sure logan with his turbo miata would be faster than me. and he didn't even make the top ten ...
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 16 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #37

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 15 2007, 11:00 PM) *

PPS: and i also thought for sure logan with his turbo miata would be faster than me. and he didn't even make the top ten ...

Logan was on his street tires verses your race slicks on cement. That course required some traction for fast cars to do well. If he had been on 710's like he has in the past he would have picked up another second or two. That 993 wasnt moving as fast as 914's in the corners - He just had awesome acceleration - He could pretty much just drive stupid in the corners and then mash the go pedal.

Ken Jones and Chris P get driver award in my book. Those two were moving the fastest given the cars they were driving. Chris was driving a stockish 1.7 on skinny M&S rated street tires and he wasnt that far off fast times of the day.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Jul 18 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #38

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Ken and Chris were flying! It was nice seeing all the 914's out there having fun! Marina is a good venue for our cars and we should try to get a bunch of us out there again!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
smokey
post Jul 18 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #39

LPR/ PCA The 29th of this month . I talked to cathy calson last night. Same venue as last month. Hope to see all that were there last month. ANDY. try to show up again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
smokey
post Jul 19 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #40

SUNDAY JULY 29th . MARIA AUTO X (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 11:31 PM