Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pulled the tank Vol V, Total Rust Bucket
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 3 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #21

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

Group: Members
From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094
Region Association: None

Well I bought the muriatic acid and I've got a can of dad's old nuts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) , the uncoated, hardened steel ones. So I'm going to do my rattle nut dance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (with the tank dry) and see how much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) that gets out, I like the chain idea too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Then I'll use the acid/water (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) to rinse and get out all the crap and see what it looks like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Another thing, what about the little strainer sock? Can I get another, do I need to clean it (non-buyable) or what?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 3 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I've bought the sock at a bug shop before. But that was a couple years ago. Check availability before trashing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Jul 3 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,468

Excuse me for butting in here, but where does one obtain POR-15? I'm dealing with an off topic gas tank, and I tried looking for information on POR-15 here. but nothing came up on a search. I asked at one auto parts store and they were not familiar with it. And you pour this stuff in the tank and slosh it around and it seals the metal? Does it seal pin hole rust through too? Thanks for any information.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 3 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

http://www.por15.com (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Jul 3 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7,468

Thank you, McMark. I will study that site.
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 3 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #26

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 2 2007, 10:54 PM) *

Here we go again...

Take it to a radiator shop and spend $35 to have it boiled, or otherwise tanked with a suitable alternative. If you have a shop with an ultrasonic tank you won' t believe how good it looks when it comes back. They know their business and you won't torch your digits with acid.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Jul 3 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,846
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 3 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Well I bought the muriatic acid...

Muriatic acid will burn you to the bone. It will blind you if even one drop gets in your eye(s). When you pour it on concrete (to remove oil stains), it causes the concrete to smoke.

I would seriously reconsider playing with this stuff.

And, if it does burn you, will you please post pics as a warning to others?

Regards,

D. Ocean
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 4 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #28

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL

well I didn't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) and I'm ok (i guess it was that chem lab last year that taught me not to mess with acid).

I put a bunch of nuts in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif) and did my dance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) and then I did a bath of diluted acid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) and then a water rinse and then another acid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) and another water rinse and then ran the shop-vac on blow to dry it all out and this is what it now looks like...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Jul 4 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Jul 3 2007, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 3 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Well I bought the muriatic acid...

Muriatic acid will burn you to the bone. It will blind you if even one drop gets in your eye(s). When you pour it on concrete (to remove oil stains), it causes the concrete to smoke.

I would seriously reconsider playing with this stuff.

And, if it does burn you, will you please post pics as a warning to others?

Regards,

D. Ocean

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The stuff that comes with the POR-15 tank Seal Kit is Phosphoric Acid, quite dilute too. Also available as Ospho from Tru-Value Hardware on special order, 4 gal minimum... Not quite so dilute.

Also, the POR tank kit contains a de-greaser and the afore-mentioned Metal Ready etchant plus Silver POR-15 in a can labled Tank Sealer. Be sure and save the "sealer" and use it as you would POR-15. I got most of the pint back after coating my ghia tank a few years ago, most of the silver went on various 914's after that. Even one rusty silver '71 that was left in the rain after being primered, not a sealing primer either! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) POR-15 hates sunlight, so now the silver spots have turned a lovely greenish. I might get around to getting it painted someday.
+Quote Post
robby750
post Jul 4 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 521

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 4 2007, 02:14 AM) *

well I didn't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) and I'm ok (i guess it was that chem lab last year that taught me not to mess with acid).

I put a bunch of nuts in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif) and did my dance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) and then I did a bath of diluted acid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) and then a water rinse and then another acid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) and another water rinse and then ran the shop-vac on blow to dry it all out and this is what it now looks like...

Still looks like crap, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 4 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #31

So more acid or nut dancing or what?
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Jul 4 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 4 2007, 02:30 AM) *

So more acid or nut dancing or what?

You must remove ALL traces of rust. Any rust left behind will continue to "grow".

As mentioned before, take it to a shop.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 4 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #33

914 Freak!

Let the acid sit in there for longer to get the stubborn bits. How long did you leave it in the first two times?
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 4 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #34

I did a fair bit of sloshing, but it was in there like 10 min, you suggesting more an overnight type deal?
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 4 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #35

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Like I said, take it to a rad shop, pay the man $35-50, forget about all of the coating crap, paint/powder coat the exterior, fill it with gas and go for a drive.
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Jul 4 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #36

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 4 2007, 03:15 AM) *

Like I said, take it to a rad shop, pay the man $35-50, forget about all of the coating crap, paint/powder coat the exterior, fill it with gas and go for a drive.

Kids don't listen. They know everything. We all did the same sheet when we were young...screw adults. They don't know what they're talking about!

Then again, I didn't have access to free advice from the Internet in the '70's...

Let him shake, rattle & slosh. We'll be reading another post in a few months: Damn! Have to remove tank again!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 4 2007, 01:33 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Jul 4 2007, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 4 2007, 03:15 AM) *

Kids don't listen. They know everything. We all did the same sheet when we were young...screw adults. They don't know what they're talking about!

Then again, I didn't have access to free advice from the Internet in the '70's...

Let him shake, rattle & slosh. We'll be reading another post in a few months: Damn! Have to remove tank again!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That would be a good title for another volume of my threads, but I'll check out getting it hot-dipped or cleaned tomorrow morning. So it's all bare metal when I get it back? and I just paint the outside and leave the inside bare and use it like that?
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Jul 4 2007, 01:38 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 4 2007, 03:33 AM) *

That would be a good title for another volume of my threads, but I'll check out getting it hot-dipped or cleaned tomorrow morning. So it's all bare metal when I get it back? and I just paint the outside and leave the inside bare and use it like that?

It will shine like a nickel in a goat's ass when you get it back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

You can leave it bare, but sealing will ensure a long time before having to re-do.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jul 4 2007, 03:55 AM
Post #39

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

now you went and done it!

Miles is gonna come back now!!!

RUn!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/britt.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 4 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #40

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 4 2007, 12:33 AM) *

Yup. Opinions differ on coating the inside of a fuel tank. You can coat the inside if you wish. I never will and I've done a couple of 30+ year old tanks. Just let the rad shop do their job and then take care of the outside and you're done.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 10:41 PM