Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calling Dr Evil... Vol VI, Transaxle gurus, assemble!
John
post Jul 9 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #21

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I need a better picture of the slider. It almost looks as if the splines have mushroomed or been smeared over not allowing the dog teeth of the gear to engage the slider.

Can you push the slider onto the dog teeth?

Sometimes the splines can be cleaned up with the careful use of a file but this can be short lived. It is probably best to replace the slider, but like I said, I would need a better picture of the slider to give you a meaningful suggestion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #22

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094

The slider teeth are worn down and smeared on the 4th gear side and it doesnt fully engage when on the stack which could be the teeth not having enough room.

I also checked the syncho ring OD, and it's about 3" within the tolerance given in the Haynes manual.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 9 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #23

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wow, its interesting that the synchro band and dog teeth are not in as bad a shape as your slider. If you want a cheaper used one I probably have one. Also, check the blocks and bands inside of 4th gear. The mushrooming is what probably prevented you from 4th engagement. Let me know on the part.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #24

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 9 2007, 10:32 PM) *

Wow, its interesting that the synchro band and dog teeth are not in as bad a shape as your slider. If you want a cheaper used one I probably have one. Also, check the blocks and bands inside of 4th gear. The mushrooming is what probably prevented you from 4th engagement. Let me know on the part.

How do you get inside 4th gear? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) As far as the used slider, I'm interested (I'm in college = poor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad2.gif)) as long as the price is low enough to not buy new. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 14 2007, 03:01 AM
Post #25

Alright, so I'm getting a new slider from Dr Evil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif), there's just a couple other questions:

1. How do I get into 4th gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) to make sure nothing is wrong inside there either?

2. I noticed when I took off the stack there were two brown gaskets (between stack and case) and one of them was mangled (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) in the process. Do I need a new one or two or what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

3. Start thinking about it now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) , but later when I get the stack all back together, how, where, what do I align the shift forks and such so that it works when I have it all back together in the car.
+Quote Post
toomanyinkc
post Jul 14 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,509

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 14 2007, 04:01 AM) *

Alright, so I'm getting a new slider from Dr Evil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif), there's just a couple other questions:

1. How do I get into 4th gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) to make sure nothing is wrong inside there either?

2. I noticed when I took off the stack there were two brown gaskets (between stack and case) and one of them was mangled (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) in the process. Do I need a new one or two or what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

3. Start thinking about it now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) , but later when I get the stack all back together, how, where, what do I align the shift forks and such so that it works when I have it all back together in the car.

2. measure the thickness of each of them in a place where they were not crushed. There are numerous places where there is a slot or a hole against the gasket. Replace the old gaskets with equivalent thickness of new gaskets so that the pinion depth is unchanged.

3. The Haynes manual has a good writeup of how to align the shift forks. It will be much easier with an alignment jig to hold the rods in place.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 15 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #27

Sounds like you should be reading up on this much more before you proceed. The gaskets are important and you need to measure them exactly as just described. You will need some sort of precision measuring micrometer or calipers to get this dimension right. I do have some of these gaskets and can send you some if you let me know what the dimension is.

As for aligning the forks, it will be very difficult to do this right without a jig. You need to make sure the slider, fork, and rod are all aligned in their perspective dimensions. As a first timer, this may be a bit beyond you without the specific tool. I would not really attempt this without the tool and I have rebuilt quite a few of these boxes.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 15 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #28

Well I took apart the 4th gear and everything looked alright, no broken blocks or brake bands, though it was a bitch to get all that spring-loaded stuff back together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . As for the gasket... hold on, I'll measure right now....

both are brown and look to be about .005-.006 inches. One is fine and still on the tranny case and the other is mangled = new one. I'll check tomorrow morning around the local shops to see if they have one, if not, I'll hit you up.

As for aligning the forks, I'll just have to get the dimensions and do a lot of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) until it's right.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 16 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #29

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

If you can get an old trans case, you can cut it up to make the jig. All you need is the part that the shafts and shift rods fit in to hold them in the right place.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 16 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #30

So without the jig/cut up trans case, I just have to align as best I can and then do a lot of install and check ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jul 16 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

Dr, please help my old brain out. what gear must be engaged to gain enough clearance to reinstall the gear stack into the sideshift tranny case? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 16 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 16 2007, 01:10 AM) *

Dr, please help my old brain out. what gear must be engaged to gain enough clearance to reinstall the gear stack into the sideshift tranny case? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

You have to have a gear engaged? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Whenever I installed my stack (multiple times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ) I didnt have it in gear, but I also had the selector fork out too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Also, I called around and it looks like if I want the single brown gasket I have to get it from the porsche stealership who gets it from atlanta (5-7 days) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) and they have thicknesses .1 , .15 , and .2 mm and my two .005 inch gaskets come to .254 mm. Which one(s) do I need? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Or should I just spring the extra cash for the pelican seal and gasket set and replace everything?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 16 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #33

sww914,
All the info is in my tranny link, but I will save you the time and tell you that 5th needs to be selected (the how to do it easy way is in the link). With the shift fork and rod out you dont have to select it because it isnt there to hit the case on install.

As for the gaskets, you need to use multiple ones equaling the approximate thickness; .1 + .15 = .25mm
How much do they want for them? I may have the sizes you need in stock.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 16 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #34

They were different prices, but something like $1.50 (the .1 mm) to like $7 (for the .2) I think, if I remember correctly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 16 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #35

Why not just buy 2x .1mm for $3 instead of 1x .2mm for $7? Pricing on those seems retarded to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 16 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 16 2007, 12:59 PM) *

Why not just buy 2x .1mm for $3 instead of 1x .2mm for $7? Pricing on those seems retarded to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the 'stealership'. I had to replace the pushrod tube o-rings and they overcharged me for like 7 of the wrong thing... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) so I went to pelican and got the whole set of the right thing for less.

You have any in stock and for how much?

And what is this about the pinion depth? Obviously it's important if we're dealing with fractions of mm's, but what is it we're talking about? Just my Mechanical Engineering curiousity itch needing to be scratched.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 16 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #37

Depth of the pinion dictates the contact relationship between pinion head gear and the diff ring gear. If this dimension is off you can imagine how this will be noisy, and lead to wear and destruction of these parts. I will see what I have in stock for the gaskets.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 16 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #38

I have .24, .17, .16 and several .15mm gaskets. Nothing that = .25, but the .24 should be just fine.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 16 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #39

How much you want and I could have the money out in the PM mail?
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 26 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #40

Alright (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) I put the tranny and all back together a couple days ago, but I hadn't had the teener out until this morning for a quick shakedown and I'll have to say....

4TH GEAR IS WORKING! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

First of all I'd like to thank all that made this possible, namely Dr. Evil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) for the supply of parts and useful knowledge.

Now it's time to drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 10:26 AM