Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My car has cancer, Please help
zen motorcycle
post Oct 8 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #1

almost not a newbie ( way less than a newbie)

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,038
Region Association: None

I removed the longs because I just knew there would be rust in there and I was right.

How bad is it and what are the repair techniques?

Seems to be limited to just around the jack points and one other area on the right side about 3/4 of the way up where foam was touching.

start from the begining for me I did a search, but didn't come up with much for the beginner metal worker.

Thanks

More pics available, just tell me if anything would be helpfull in the treatment

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 34)
zen motorcycle
post Oct 13 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #21

Is there a way to get the jack post out with out cutting the quarter panel, or is that the least of my worries?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 13 2007, 09:31 PM
Post #22

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

That's just a stub. It doesn't go through the long. Just use a Sawsall.
+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Oct 14 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #23

Yeah I busted out the sawsall today, but before I go any further do I need to tie in the frame with a support bracketfrom the seat belt bolt to door hinge to keep it from flexing when I start removing material?
+Quote Post
type11969
post Oct 14 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

I definitely would. What you have looks similar to what I had to deal with, probably a bit less extensive. Take a gander at the thread I posted above if you want to see how I dealt with the rust.
+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Oct 14 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(type11969 @ Oct 14 2007, 02:57 PM) *

I definitely would. What you have looks similar to what I had to deal with, probably a bit less extensive. Take a gander at the thread I posted above if you want to see how I dealt with the rust.

I have looked through those threads you posted. What scares me the most is if I have to remove the quarter panel. If that happens I am going to take the whole care down to bare paint as there are some small rust bubbles elswhere on the car.

Hello 10 year restoration! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
type11969
post Oct 14 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #26

You definitely don't have to remove the whole quarter panel . . . I pulled mine because someone replaced from the sail panel down on my quarter, but used rivets, braze and a generous helping of bondo to do so. You probably will have to cut a small section out like michelko (sp?) did in his repair though.

+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Oct 14 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #27

That is what I was afraid of, I can weld ok, but nothing good enough for finishing work on butt welds. I just don't have the rig for it. It would be easier for me to remove the spot welds then cut the corner panel.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 14 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #28

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

wow.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 14 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #29

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Do yourself a favor, don't start on this project without help. It looks like your in over your head.
+Quote Post
type11969
post Oct 15 2007, 07:18 AM
Post #30

If you can find someone local that has been through this to help you out that would be a huge benefit, but you can do it yourself with the guidance of people and threads here. Before I tackled my 914 I had never welded before, let alone fabricated anything and while my end result probably won't be as nice as others on here, it will be strong and functional. There is no reason why you can do the same. The shapes of the 914 "frame" are not difficult to fabricate with simple tools, and most of the pieces are readily available from AA if you want to go that route.

-Chris
+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Oct 15 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #31

type11969 thanks for the support everybody else if you have something constructive share it. I guess I should rephrase. I can weld just fine, but I don't have a good MIG welder right now. Just not in the budget so having someone else do it is definitley not in the budget. I thought removing the Q panel by drilling the spot welds would make it easier to re-weld with the rig I have. I have done metal fabrication before, just not on a 914. As others have been there and done that I am looking for any tips and tricks so I am not reinventing the rust bucket as it were. These should be simple repairs with the exception of access to the areas covered by the Q panel. If I am wrong tell me, but tell me why and how I should do it. To late to not start on it as I stripped the car last night. And why wait the rust isn't

Thanks
+Quote Post
type11969
post Oct 15 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #32

You may consider cutting the quarter panel then having someone else weld it back on . . . taking the whole panel off is kind of a pain. I know I am not looking forward to putting it back on. Or you could rent a MIG when you need to weld the section of the quarter panel back on.
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Oct 16 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1,626

If the rust is mostly located in the lower part of the long and the jack support you can reach all of that area by just cutting the door jam and using a mig with a small gun. Use a very thin cutoff wheel to cut the jam and drill the spot welds along the inner part of the door jam. You can see what I am talking about in the link I posted earlier. I was deathly afraid of cutting the quarter pannel because 1) it has the orignal paint that I wanted to preserve and 2) I knew I wouldn't be able to get it lined up perfectly. By cutting the jams I had all the access I needed (it was tight) and when I finished I was able to patch it well enough for an amature that you can bearly tell. If you open the doors and look closely you can see I have been in there but with the doors closed you can't tell there was ever any rust repair and I only had to paint the longs and the door jam area.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Oct 16 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #34

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Now THAT is a gumption trap! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Oct 16 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Oct 16 2007, 10:07 AM) *

If the rust is mostly located in the lower part of the long and the jack support you can reach all of that area by just cutting the door jam and using a mig with a small gun. Use a very thin cutoff wheel to cut the jam and drill the spot welds along the inner part of the door jam. You can see what I am talking about in the link I posted earlier. I was deathly afraid of cutting the quarter pannel because 1) it has the orignal paint that I wanted to preserve and 2) I knew I wouldn't be able to get it lined up perfectly. By cutting the jams I had all the access I needed (it was tight) and when I finished I was able to patch it well enough for an amature that you can bearly tell. If you open the doors and look closely you can see I have been in there but with the doors closed you can't tell there was ever any rust repair and I only had to paint the longs and the door jam area.

Thanks I jsut saw the harbor freight tool link the first time I went through. I like that way a lot better than cutting the quarter panel.

Time to go think about how I will (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) while I actually do this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 01:35 PM