Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT any interest in a N. Ca. porsche get together?
ConeDodger
post Dec 9 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #121

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 8 2007, 11:50 PM) *

I had a great time and it was really fun meeting everyone and placing a face to a name. Thanks to everyone who organized it. The drive was perfect, the cars were awesome and the company was outstanding. I'm looking forward to the next one.

You got to think, how many places can you drive this time of the year with your top off? Simply awesome!

Rob....sorry about your breakdown....Did Pete drive that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Paul,
Pete didn't drive it... He had lots of questions. In fact as a result of our discussion I think I will probably stay with the carbs. When I get it all dialed in I will contact Pete.
When you change everything, and you aren't an engineer, you have to expect that you will get something wrong. I did. Just small things but they take some of the fun out of the result. You can either give up and sell or change it. I will be changing it.
It is like the difference between your car and Andy's... Both '95 3.6 motors but one is a street stormer and the other borders on modern luxury with an attitude. Install a GPS in the dash and antilock brakes and your car is a Lexus in an old Porsche body.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 9 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #122

Apex killer!

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 8 2007, 11:43 PM) *

Sort of. It's still at my shop. Yes, I fit a FOURTH car in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Rob lost the fan belt again on the way home and only made it to Vacaville. Then it got towed back to me. But we did figured out what was wrong and it'll be all better tomorrow.

Isn't building a car fun, Rob? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

You know, even with all of the setbacks I would not trade a moment of the time we have spent and I have spent for some newish car... So, yes... It has been kind of fun. I will write about it some day.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 9 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #123

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Dec 9 2007, 12:37 AM) *

WHO was driving the Werks, 997 Twin Turbo???

Nice turnout guys, dang I miss these events.

The Werks 997TT was driven by Pete Stout of Excellence and 914World (HorizontallyOpposed). He was 'Werking' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Watch for an article about it in a later edition...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 9 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #124

Apex killer!

Andy Brian and Chris P. got to go out for a little scoot in my car... I think they were impressed. Andy found a little more top end in mine than his own 2270. I think he is limited by his stock(ish) injection. I wish I had taken a drive in his... Chris was all smiles when he got back. But then, I have never seen Chris when he was not all smiles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
YOPU
post Dec 9 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #125

Conedodger's Tool Wench

Member No.: 7,257

Nicho had fun too. Too bad there are only two seats in the 914. I stayed home and worked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Dec 9 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #126

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

I can't remember what was more fun; driving another 914 for the first time ever when Rob let me test drive his Original Customs with the 2270 engine kit, poking around Paul's perfect black 3.6, or full-throttle up the twisty section chasing Sir Andy! Did anybody get a picture of the sign after we turned left "Twisty Roads NEXT 36 MILES"??!!?! The second half was AVE 70mph I think, but my speedo is way off. I hit 100, which is really about 88 mph corrected. I was in 5th and downshifting to 4th for the tighter curves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
How fast were others going? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Larry - I've got SS HEs lying around, thanks for the offer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 9 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #127

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 9 2007, 05:55 PM) *

How fast were others going?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Dec 9 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 7,604

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 9 2007, 05:55 PM) *

I can't remember what was more fun; driving another 914 for the first time ever when Rob let me test drive his Original Customs with the 2270 engine kit, poking around Paul's perfect black 3.6, or full-throttle up the twisty section chasing Sir Andy! Did anybody get a picture of the sign after we turned left "Twisty Roads NEXT 36 MILES"??!!?! The second half was AVE 70mph I think, but my speedo is way off. I hit 100, which is really about 88 mph corrected. I was in 5th and downshifting to 4th for the tighter curves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
How fast were others going? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Larry - I've got SS HEs lying around, thanks for the offer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The only time I got silly with it was that long straight towards the end. I think I hit about 125 - 130 just before mashing the brakes ... I did not know we were about to turn. I felt pretty stupid for doing it b/c (I am terrible with names) but the guy with the red 2.0 6 had a hard time stopping ... because as soon as I moved in front of him was when everyone got hard on the brakes. The turbo brakes with pagid pads work great but if the guy behind you does not have them .....

Shoot I was looking forward to getting something out of the shed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I just thought b/c you were riding around without heat maybe you could use a pair.

+Quote Post
LarryR
post Dec 9 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #129

QUOTE(YOPU @ Dec 9 2007, 10:59 AM) *

Nicho had fun too. Too bad there are only two seats in the 914. I stayed home and worked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I think having Nicho there made the trip for Amanda. It is always more fun when there are kids her age there.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 9 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #130

Apex killer!

QUOTE(LarryR @ Dec 9 2007, 06:55 PM) *

I think having Nicho there made the trip for Amanda. It is always more fun when there are kids her age there.

It sure made the trip for Nicho... Trouble is, I have spent the day trying to find him a PSP because "Amanda has a GameBoy..." I guess if one kid has it the other has to!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Dec 9 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #131

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 9 2007, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Dec 9 2007, 06:55 PM) *

It sure made the trip for Nicho... Trouble is, I have spent the day trying to find him a PSP because "Amanda has a GameBoy..." I guess if one kid has it the other has to!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think the Nintendo DS is the best one to have now (Amanda is getting one for christmas) they are about 99 bucks and play all of the game boy games...

I think those things are great especially for a long drive... no more are we there yet b/c they are to involved in their game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 9 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #132

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Larry, that was John (jgara962) in his 2.0 four. But even I get his and Andy's cars confused. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks to Pete for the 911 Werks ride along. All I can say is that PCCB brakes are amazing and we never went above the posted speed limit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Dec 9 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #133

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 9 2007, 07:10 PM) *

Larry, that was John (jgara962) in his 2.0 four. But even I get his and Andy's cars confused. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks to Pete for the 911 Werks ride along. All I can say is that PCCB brakes are amazing and we never went above the posted speed limit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I was talking about kmh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) well within the posted limit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 9 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #134

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Sorry, I couldn't make it--Lisa and I were a little bit east of you guys. We had lunch in Woodland. We were, however, travelling at speeds that nothing but that twin-turbo could match. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

A co-worker of mine attended a little fly-in headed up there, and invited us along. It was just a little Cessna 172, but it was pretty nifty! The winds made the landing a bit interesting, but the trip was very nice. Our GPS now has a highest recorded speed of 179 MPH, which was set on the way back to Palo Alto airport with a hefty tail-wind.

Then I went to a friend's 42nd birthday party.

Hopefully I can make it next time!!

--DD
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 9 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #135

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Hey Rob, I wish there was more time. I was interested in your thoughts on the comparison as well. Next time. Thanks.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 10 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #136

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Dec 9 2007, 09:10 PM) *

Hey Rob, I wish there was more time. I was interested in your thoughts on the comparison as well. Next time. Thanks.

Andy,

I should see if I have the article on your car... My car has Dellortos, you have stock(ish) injection. You leave something on the table there but you also probably have more driveability as far as cold start etc... Plus, I bet you have a better emissions profile. I was listening to Pete and Mark talking about aftermarket injection. One would think you could get more out of your motor with ITB's and an aftermarket system. Most of these systems have pretty glaring limitations though. Those that don't cost a buck or say... TEN THOUSAND!!! I have full flow oiling, my guess is that you have a stock oil pump? Mine flows to an external oil filter mounted in one of the niftiest Original Customs mountings I have seen. Mark has pics. I have LE200 heads and you have stock I'd guess? Again, you leave a little on the table there. The LE heads in general are amazing. There is so much power in them alone. Jake picked the valve train. I don't even recall what cam it has.
I have actually seen your car driven in anger at a PCA event at Chuck Shultz... Even Steve Nieslony said you had the grunt on him at the end of the straights.
Bottom line though Andy, everyone knows red is faster than silver (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Toast
post Dec 10 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #137

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looks like a great time guys!

If you decide to do another get-together in Jan/Feb., could someone send me a pm and let me know? I will try to make it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/toast.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 10 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Sure was fun to be on a 914 drive, even if I was "stuck" driving a tail-dragger... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Lunch was tasty + great roads and a nice, easy, and safe route = how could we go wrong? And it was fun to see some of the different 914s on hand. Shocked to see 10+ 914s and no orange ones. Has to be some sort of world record. Woulda loved to have driven Rob's silver car, and SirAndy's too. And was good to see the "other" Andy has made the move to five-lug Fuchs. His red car looks better than ever, and I still remember how well screwed together it felt when I drove it years ago.

And, hey, Paul's 914 3.6 even finished the route... (right back at ya, Paul.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) )

Now, about that black Jetta.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 10 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #139

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The curse of the black Jetta..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 10 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Bottom line though Andy, everyone knows red is faster than silver (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Ha, fooled you they only look faster. I thought about a custom fuel injection set up, but I'll wait till I get my six done. I can barely find time to work on 1 car. My car passed smog 6 years ago with just the smog pump and NO cat! Just barely though. Right now the cam and heads are the limiting factors for my motor. Stock rev limiter/oil pump/valves. I did some porting in the exhaust port where the heat exchangers bolt up. Almost forgot, but a good friend of mine made a custom addition to my plenum instead of my temporary "adaptor" for my volvo throttle body. Loss of that restriction got me 5 horses on the dyno. Rob, next time I'd like you to drive my car.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 10:57 AM