Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 25-year/250,000-mile refresh, UPDATE 5.15.2017: After first 1,000-mile trip
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 26 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #221

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 26 2015, 09:32 PM) *

Now you can drive it down to the West Coast Ramble! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Great to see it's coming along Pete. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

This thing you speak of...does it require the ability to take something called vacation? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks, Mike!!

Next step is finalizing the wheel/tire package, then sending the car back into paint to have the sides redone. Test fit of 215/60R15 rears below, just to see if they would even physically fit in the wells. They will, though it is tight on both sides with the LR. It's a bit better on the RR, but I suspect I am going to have to play with the fenders just a bit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 27 2015, 12:19 AM
Post #222

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

PHAT !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 27 2015, 12:19 AM
Post #223

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

PHAT !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mskala
post Mar 27 2015, 05:25 AM
Post #224

R

Member No.: 79

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 27 2015, 12:10 AM) *

...With some tuning—mainly timing related—it made 169 hp at the rear wheels with 147 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels. Applying a 15% powertrain loss factor, which always gives me the hives, that's 199 hp and 173 lb-ft at the flywheel. The torque comes on strong nice and low and then stays fairly consistent from there on up, from 3000~ rpm up to and through 6000 rpm. Not shabby for a small-bore 2.2, and very driveable. I'm told there's a little more power to be had with a different exhaust setup with the collectors moved further forward, and we lost more than we should have when the factory 914-6 air box went back on, so I need to figure out my final exhaust and intake setup before we do final tuning.

For the time being, however, I am one happy camper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Good job. Looked back over the engine pictures. What is this thing? It is obviously
not your engine
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 27 2015, 11:38 AM
Post #225

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Great results, I'm tempted to scrap my distributor when I warm up my 2.7 for my project.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 15 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #226

Advanced Member

Can't believe it's been two years since I updated this thread. I have a lot of updating to do, but I'll skip forward to the last week or so because the car ran like a champ in its first trip to SoCal in 20 years...

If you are doing one of these projects, it can be daunting/annoying/draining/etc. Just know...it's WORTH IT!

Now, on to some pics from the run to Luftgekühlt, with the 914 packed up for a 1,000-mile journey and the GT4 kicked to the curb. What was I thinking?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 15 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #227

Advanced Member

Didn't take many pics on the way down 101 to LA, but DID take a lot of notes.

The 2.2 is torquey around town, sings up to redline, and—with a factory airbox that is robbing 20 hp on the dyno—quiet enough on long drives. Unfortunately, the wind noise was awful—and a stark contrast to the quiet freeway cruiser this car was when I got it. More work is needed to quiet the noise at the A-pillars and windshield. The list of other things to sort is long, but most are minor annoyances. Some bigger ones, like heat and handling. It really was neat to go down the road in this car....need to take it on more trips.

When it got down to LA, it got checked into the Malibu Car Wash, where a 914 looks a little funny next to some of the other iron (and carbon fiber) that is usually being cleaned, but the crew there did a GREAT job, and for a lot less than the detailers I use up in Northern California.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 15 2017, 12:14 PM
Post #228

Advanced Member

Luftgekühlt was a LOT of fun, and I was blown away by many of the cars there—and some very nice 914s also. There are so many pics online and on social feeds that I won't weigh this thread down with that stuff, so I'll just skip to three from the ride home. One from Point Magu, and then a stop in Santa Barbara where the car lived for a single semester (only felt right to play "One Headlight" by the Wallflowers on the way out of town*), and then a shot to try and capture that feeling when an old car gets you home through the night. Besides the wind noise, high-speed cruising is effortless, and it did better on fuel economy than I thought (though still not so great compared to a -4). The biggest thing, however, was the experience—I never forget the drives I take in this car.

*Particularly because, for the first time in 28 years, my headlights are acting funny, with the driver's side headlight taking its own sweet time to lower itself after turning off the lights. Sometimes 2-20 minutes after the right one goes down.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 15 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #229

Advanced Member

And, after a quick wash, it was back on the road to R Gruppe's 2017 Treffen in Napa—where there were several cool 914s. The 914 and GT4 got a little love, being placed up front in a row of hot-rod 911s parked next to the dinner tables, for a bit of alternate flavor and mid-engined contrast in a typically 911-dominated event.

Photos by good friend Pete Ritter

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 15 2017, 12:21 PM
Post #230

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mskala @ Mar 27 2015, 04:25 AM) *

What is this thing?

Good question—was in the group of pics I got from the engine builder. Suspect that's one of his other builds.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 15 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #231

Advanced Member

Btw, need to find then pics, but I eventually did mount that 215/60R15 to a real 15x7R to see if it could be snuck into the rear fenders.

Working with washers and longer studs, I was able to get it into both sides, but the inner tire was rubbing on the trailing arm and car brake line, and there was NO room for the tire to "walk" around under load. So I skipped and went to 185/70R15 Avons for now. I like them, but miss seeing fatter rubber tucked under the car. May move to something else. We'll see.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 15 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #232

Advanced Member

Here we go...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 15 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #233

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Beautiful 914.
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 11:28 PM