Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miata engine!? In a 914!?
Porcharu
post Feb 21 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(purple @ Feb 21 2008, 03:50 PM) *

I thought it was just neat to see something other than a chevy v8 or subie engine back there. I didnt think you could put an inline 4 in that engine bay. I guess I should have assumed since a v8 is two inline 4's at a rudimentary level. What would be neat is if you could fit a bmw straight 6 back there. Another thing that would be neat is a turbo rotary engine from an RX-*

In my opinion, the more different stuff we can put back there, the better. Who cares?

The real problem with the 914 is the transmission anyway! If you could EASILY retrofit a modern cable shifter back there it would make for a much better driving experience. Or at least a NEWER tranny would make things nice, if just for having brand new syncros and a proper H pattern without a dogleg. People look at me funny when I tell them the way the shift pattern works on the 914.

I wish i had new syncros in my tranny. #1 and #2 are both grindy if i'm not slow as hell with the shifts.... lame. in my 07 MINI cooper I can really bang through the gears...

OH, and boosted brakes.

the stopping power of the MINI spoils me for this car

Just watch my thread on swapping the Suby transmission into the 914. The hard part is already done.
Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 21 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #22

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, but it is the same as saying that a cab is for chicks. It's just something to give someone crap for. A guy pulled up in front of the shop I worked at in a Miata about six years ago. He was really proud of it and the owner of the shop walked out and said, "Isn't that cute." It really did look rather sissy. However, the Miata at our local AX that has over 300hp and kicks my ass every time I just hate because it is allowed to be in the same class as a car with 100hp and is 30 years older (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Feb 22 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #23

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(purple @ Feb 21 2008, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 21 2008, 07:54 PM) *

Seinfeld isn't funny... that's probably why. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Feb 21 2008, 05:52 PM) *
Oh, puhleeze. I added three smilies and a reference to Seinfeld. What part of my post didn't you understand was a joke?

Skip

correct!

Larry David is funny. ever notice how seinfeld (the show) got up it's own butt the last couple years after Larry david left? because seinfeld was doing the writing

like alan alda with mash
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

i knew it was *supposed* to be a joke, but stereotypes get perpetuated with jokes like that. just sayin...

Gay? Naaaaah...Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 22 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #24

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Personally I don't care what anyone thinks about Miatas I like this car and it is fun to drive. 30 miles to the gallon on reg. gas, heater works great, brakes are power assisted, power steering,and
NO RUST.
CCL

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 22 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #25

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

That body style is much better than the earlier. I absolutley hated the first generation body style. Looked like a bar of soap. A guy up here in the NW has an MX-5 body style with 285s all the way around. He is very tough to beat. Thank God he's not in my class.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Feb 22 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #26

ooooop's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 22 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #27

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

the most common engine swaps are just that for a reason. it is not driven by pride or taste. it is size, available parts and function. the american v8 is cheap. many available HP parts. chevy is prefered because its shorter than a ford. it fits easy and produces tons of power for pennies on the Porsche dollar. the suby fits well and has very low CG. it too produces tons of power and is easy to fit. there are many JDM drop in suby options. Miata engine is tall and long. it requires internal mods to handle power adders. conversion parts are not readily avail. I would not consider putting an engine in a given car just because few others have done it. if you want to be different put a twin turbo deisel in a Yugo. if you want a higher power 914 that handles well go suby or 914/6. I respect those who get it done even if its not my cup o tea but dont just be another blah blah. build something and call it your own.
+Quote Post
purple
post Feb 22 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #28

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

engine swaps are nice and all, but i'm so unhappy about the state of affairs at the FLAPS these days. it seems like a majority of them are staffed by shadetree flunkies that look at you funny if you need a VW beetle part (since our engines are somewhat similar) or sync snails or whatever. if you have a stupid chevy v8 you're covered. ANYTHING ELSE and you're f***ed. god i hate auto parts stores more for every wasted trip to the jungle of snake oil parts for chevy v8's like chrome f'n valve covers, chrome throttle body spacers, billet turned gauge rings, or some other stupid crap. wtf happened? where are the actual USEFUL parts for cars these days? all I see is a bunch of rice-a-roni

sheesh, i'm pissy all of a sudden
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 22 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 21 2008, 11:24 PM) *

Personally I don't care what anyone thinks about Miatas I like this car and it is fun to drive. 30 miles to the gallon on reg. gas, heater works great, brakes are power assisted, power steering,and
NO RUST.
CCL

Yeah, what Mr. Bahama said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Feb 22 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #30

Aaaah now Ferg, you know better...Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 22 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I was waiting for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2024 - 07:49 AM