Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windshield Washer question, anyone replace with aftermarket?
stephenaki
post Feb 25 2008, 02:49 AM
Post #1

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

OK, my understanding is that the washer system uses air from the tires to shoot the water solution onto the windshield. AA sells an electric replacement for $200 some odd.

Has anyone used a straight aftermarket system vice the AA system? Does anyone see an issue with say pulling a system off of another car and wiring it in to a 914?

Looking for options. I am sure the AA system is top notch but i'm a a cheap Chinaman and just need it to function for the next couple of years until I can get it back to the states and REALLY work on it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Feb 25 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #2

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

If you are a true CSOB try the local auto dismantler. They've got tons of sprayer pumps. The thing is that the water tank for a 914 requires air pressure to pump the water to the sprayer nozzles. You will have to use a modern tank/pump system attached to the 914 nozzles. Should be a breeze.

I'm currently running a Jeep Cherokee fuse panel in my 914. =)

Good luck.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 25 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #3

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just replace air system with a cheap universal washer pump or spend 40 bucks on a Bosch one.
Heres how to do it, works great!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13261
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 25 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #4

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 25 2008, 05:31 AM) *

Just replace air system with a cheap universal washer pump or spend 40 bucks on a Bosch one.
Heres how to do it, works great!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13261

Cool, thanks will definately do this.
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 25 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I developed an electric switch mount to replace the valve on the washer stalk. About all that is required is an electric pump as Andy's article shows (VW rabbit pump) and some wiring. I have not yet had the opportunity to sort out the wiring required.(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1244-1173064983.jpg)
+Quote Post
jesiv
post Feb 25 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,975

That is really cool. So how did you make the switch?
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 25 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #7

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Cool switch.

I did a similar thing 20 years ago. I used an old door contact switch trimmed down to fit inside the steering column. It's been working well for over 20 years now. I read the article in an old Panorama from 20+ years ago.

Sorry I can't find the issue as my dad took all his Panos when he moved away. It may be in an UpFixn' though.....

I believe this was either the first or second mod I ever did to my 914. This was either before or after the fog light flash mod.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Feb 25 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #8

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977

I just realized yesterday that the PO put an aftermarket unit in mine. I have a random toggle switch on my dash that I didn't know what it did because the only time I ever tried it, the resvoir was empty and the electric pump was too quiet to hear over the engine. Finally traced out the wires the other day and low and behold...

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 26 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #9

Can I get this one dad??

Nice switch, I did some research with JC Whitney and other sources and found some aftermarket systems that would work. I don't think I will get one right away as I plan on talking to a local resource here in Stuttgart.

Found a guy named Dunkel that basically has 30+ years working on Porsches, all of them, and is also Porsche certified. He can get parts so I will hit him up today to check prices. Have to balance the Euro against the USD + shipping and then figure out how quickly I need the part.

Will do up a detailed article on the method and installation with plenty of pictures when I do it. I am a visual guy, I can read the stuff in a book but I catch on much faster if I am either doing it or see actual pictures. I think the Army calls me a SLUG, Slow Learner Under Guidance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) And to think, they commissioned me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 26 2008, 06:51 AM
Post #10

914 Historian

My switch mount was designed in SolidWorks and printed in ABS on a rapid prototyping machine. The switch should have enough current capacity to directly run a pump. Run some wires, get a Rabbit pump, and do a modification of the tank, and never have to worry about fluid spurting out of the steering column. The switch is designed to be a true bolt-in replacement for the valve. I have a few available.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 26 2008, 07:24 AM
Post #11

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(davep @ Feb 26 2008, 04:51 AM) *

My switch mount was designed in SolidWorks and printed in ABS on a rapid prototyping machine. The switch should have enough current capacity to directly run a pump. Run some wires, get a Rabbit pump, and do a modification of the tank, and never have to worry about fluid spurting out of the steering column. The switch is designed to be a true bolt-in replacement for the valve. I have a few available.

OK, Edumicate me. The wiper switch on the column can not be used to run an aftermarket system? I saw the comment about water squirting out of the steering column and have read through the set up and external switch.

Is the column lever not an electrical connection that activates the stock system? Trying to understand the set up as I like simplicity and would prefer to keep the activation of the washer tied to the column switch.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 26 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #12

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

All i had to do was tap into the brown black wire that runs out of the column and purchased a 15 dollar universal washer pump, drilled a hole in the cap of the washer bottle. Pull back on the lever....Works great!
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 26 2008, 07:53 AM
Post #13

914 Historian

The wiper/washer lever is multifunction. The lever is moved up and down to select the wiper speed. With a suitable modification later cars can have an intermittent wiper function also; this requires a relay, a harness to connect the relay to the main harness, at least a 1973 model (perhaps 1974) with the necessary wiring in the main harness, and a wiper switch with the additional electrical portion.
The 914/4 washer portion uses the spare tire as a pressurized air reservoir to force washer fluid from the washer tank, through a fluid valve in the column, and out to the washer jets; essentially a pneumatic system. On the 914/6 this is a pump based system with an electrical switch; however the whole steering column, dash, and washer tank are different except for 1972 model 914/6's.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 26 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #14

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 26 2008, 05:41 AM) *

All i had to do was tap into the brown black wire that runs out of the column and purchased a 15 dollar universal washer pump, drilled a hole in the cap of the washer bottle. Pull back on the lever....Works great!

Viele Dank. I will be hitting up a local parts store this week to see if I can find a universal system vice ordering one.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Feb 26 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #15

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Princess Auto (local Harbour Freight type place) had kits on sale a few months ago. PM me your address and I'll send you one.
+Quote Post
swl
post Feb 27 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,550

QUOTE(davep @ Feb 26 2008, 04:51 AM) *

My switch mount was designed in SolidWorks and printed in ABS on a rapid prototyping machine.

Damn Dave - I'm impresssed! This raises you to the level of uber geek (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
Where did you get acces to a rapid prototyping machine - or have these become common?
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 27 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #17

914 Historian

Those tools are an essential part of my present job.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Feb 27 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #18

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Lol.

I forwent the washer for a water sprayer for the engine.

But I used a transistor off of the stock relay and ran the water pump straight to the battery with a fuse between.

Works good.
+Quote Post
rascobo
post Mar 5 2008, 03:31 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,948
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm always amazed how obsessed and twisted minds work alike. five or six years ago I replaced the 'air switch in my column with an electric one, because I no longer carry a spare , (having given over the space to a radiator)and thought it was unique. I simply removed the air switch from its' plastic mount and replaced it with a small generic alarm override momentary switch inserted in it's place. very simple and quick. and works great. I too drilled a hole in the reservoir cap to break the vacuum. I think the pump new hose and fittings cost less than $20.00 I've since converted the reservoir to a coolant overflow tank and am looking for the right* container for washer fluid.

(*) perfect fit, function, and cool quotient.

73' 4.3L GT
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 08:32 AM