Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

85 Pages V « < 35 36 37 38 39 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Doc's tranny waggin'
zymurgist
post Mar 3 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #721

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I have a cherry picker but no way to get it to you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 3 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #722

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Mike, there is a engine hoist in my garage, right next to your trailer.
Infact, I borrowed your trailer in the first place to pick it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

By the way, I still have your docs for the trailer in my Scoob. I should get that stuff back to you one day, if either one of us manages to remember....

Zach
+Quote Post
camaroz1985
post Mar 3 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #723

Member No.: 9,857

Do it yourself, save the money. Easy to work on Subaru engines, will probably take a few hours to pull the engine, but is pretty easy to do. What year and model do you have?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 3 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #724

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

1998 forester.

Zach, I can use my trailer to bring the picker up here if I can make room in my garage to work on the engine. The HOA will shit themselves if they see my pulling an engine in my driveway, though. Still planning.

I know I could do it myself, that is not a problem, I just lack the space. I have a wholesaler looking into getting the parts cheaper.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 3 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #725

Man, I am looking into every option and a long block from one site is $3395 shipped, +$350 core. At least I know what the upper limit is.
http://www.ccrengines.com/id17.html
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 3 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #726

En Garde!

Hey, where are the bumper mounts that you are hinting need to be painted? and why did you not mention them last week when I was KOing paint stuff like it was my job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) And what color do you want them painted.

I also shoveled a path from my garage to the back of the bus for engine installation. There is still about 6 inches of snow/ice back there, where it is not shoveled, but you now have a path and a work area behind the bus.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 3 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #727

I did tell you that the mounts were in the back of the bus. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Thanks for hooking up the path. The Subt started to over heat, spit fluid, and die for Noel today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Looks like I am needing to get the bus done this weekend/Mon. I am going to redo the rear passenger wheel bearing since I dont like how the other one went in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I will have help, though.
+Quote Post
camaroz1985
post Mar 4 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #728

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 3 2010, 02:48 PM) *

Man, I am looking into every option and a long block from one site is $3395 shipped, +$350 core. At least I know what the upper limit is.
http://www.ccrengines.com/id17.html

If you want to look into another engine might I suggest calling Mike Shaffer Auto Sales, they are a used car dealership, but also have a sort of junkyard of Subarus. Not to far away in Marietta. Phone number is 717-426-4202
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #729

Thanks for the tip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Good insider info.

Today was an up and down already.

The headers: I dropped them off over 2 week ago with a quote they would be done the following Mon. Not an issue as I was going to KS. Come back from KS and was told they would be dont on Fri. OK, I still wasnt in a hurry. Try to pick them up and the shop has moved with out giving me any notice. I finally get in touch with a guy that tells me to meet him today at noon and they would be done. I get there, the dude is at lunch, the other dude (mover) calls him and tells him I am waiting, 30min later (he finished his lunch) the guy arrives. The headers.......only sand blasted, not coated. He says I can get them tomorrow AM if I want them coated. He is going to do them in his daddy's garage. I take them and say good buy. Deplorable customer service.

The up, I probably have a place for my suby work. Paul is the owner of European Import Motors in Harrisburg and he said that I can work on my car there. If any one went to the MEI in Hershey last you they likely met Paul. He really is a nice guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So, I will be pulling the engine myself and will see what is up with it from there. If it is worse than expected, I will be seeing about Mike Shaffer.
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Mar 4 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #730

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

Not that close to you Doc - but Maryland Performance Coatings did my Suby header and did a very nice job. They are in Eldersburg/Sikesville and right next to a high quality powder coating shop. Those two shops get all my work now that I've found them.
FWIW - the MPC # 410-549-6122

No real web site and definitely no "posh" waiting room LOL. Usually have to drag Jeff away from the sand blaster to discuss your work! Nice guy though, and does a great ceramic coating. The kind of shop that doesn't need lots of advertising because word of mouth and return customers bring them plenty of work!

(IMG:http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r36/jg_pics/Subaru%20Engine/DSCN2151.jpg)

Jeff
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #731

Thanks, Jeff. There is a good place near by that Zach has used. They are less expensive and not like this other place I tried in any way.
+Quote Post
camaroz1985
post Mar 5 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #732

I too know Paul. He sponsors the local autocross series. Good luck on the repairs, and with the header.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 5 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #733

So today Jim and I went to the Corvair Ranch to pick up some parts. I have been trying to fight feature-creep, but I am only human and I just HAD to pick up the posi-traction diff for my bus....at $250 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I will be cleaning it up and resealing it tonight while Jim gets his refresher course in 901 gear box rebuilding. Tomorrow we go to cupomeat productions and shoot the rebuild video. Sun we work on the bus, Mon the bus and hopefully out on the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It is early spring weather here now, thankfully.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 5 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #734

En Garde!

If I don't just crash tonight after putting theo to bed, is there any more prep work that needs doing on the bus that I could do later this evening?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 5 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #735

Paint is the only thing needed. Check and paint the engine bay where I messed the paint up. Other than that, nope. We were over at your place yesterday to pick up the starter I returned today. You didnt answer your door and I noticed the blinds to the computer room were drawn....I figured that you were, ahem, busy on the computer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 5 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #736

En Garde!

heh. I had Theo duty yesterday. When were you over, i did not even hear you at the door.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 5 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #737

About 7pm.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 5 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #738

En Garde!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 5 2010, 07:11 PM) *

About 7pm.

Ah. Theo's bath time. No way I would have heard you over the fan and his splashing and playing.

Shoulda just come in.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 5 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #739

I got the limited slip diff cleaned up tonight. I need my seal puller which I think is at your house so I can change the seals. I cant wait to drive my bus with an LSD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 5 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #740

En Garde!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 5 2010, 10:10 PM) *

I got the limited slip diff cleaned up tonight. I need my seal puller which I think is at your house so I can change the seals. I cant wait to drive my bus with an LSD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I am 90% sure that the puller is in the bus. I know I saw it there before the big snowstorm last month, and I don't think that you have been around much to move it. But, stranger things have happened.

Am I going to see you guys tomorrow? or just Sunday? Seems like you are ahead of your schedule. Weather is supposed to be real nice, I was thinking about firing up the grill. First burgers and brats of the season. Maybe get Joe to come over and have a little mini-meet.

Zach
+Quote Post

85 Pages V « < 35 36 37 38 39 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 05:23 PM