Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

85 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Doc's tranny waggin'
Solo914
post Apr 2 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #821

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,678
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2010, 11:07 PM) *

Closer.

Today I finished up installing the axles, cleaned up the outside of them and applied RTV to keep the grease where it is supposed to be, then spent a hell of a lot of time going to parts stores looking for exhaust parts. I installed the headers, sealed them with high temp sealant, and woudlnt you know it? The headers point directly at the axles and leave little room for design. I bought several 90* bends and made two S shaped pieces to go under the axles. This put the exhaust more central (which works for my overall plan), but also under the pan for the trans. I put them 1" away and will be constructing a heat shield for this area.

No pics this time. Hopefully I will be done with the exhaust next trip and will be motivated to snap some shots.

In other news, the engine turns over with the turn of the key (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Its a start.

Header wrap over the exhaust would help alot as well. Big debate on whether or not header wrap will hold moisture to your exhaust and rust it, I am of the school of thought that if you drive it a bunch there shouldn't be a problem. The heat from the exhaust gases should steam off the moisture.

Kyle
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 2 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #822

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Good idea, Kyle. Cheap and easy to install. I can always upgrade. If the exhaust rusts through, I can handle that as well. I need it to drive to my house NOW so Zach can get his new (used) parts truck into the space. Once the exhaust is finished, I just need to finalize the wiring (the dash lights did not come on/gauges) and put gas in it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh ya, and put seat brackets in, but that should not be a biggie.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 6 2010, 01:27 AM
Post #823

Well, today/night was all about getting the exhaust done. I would have gotten farther if my bike didnt strand me at the gas station for 1.5hrs at 10pm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Loose wire, easy fix once found (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

So, here are the exhaust pics.

Here are the tubes coming from the headers, and under the axles. Tight fit.
Attached Image

Here are the mufflers welded together so that they make one unit.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 6 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #824

Mounting ears installed
Attached Image

Muffler assembly mounted. I had to cut and reweld the upper pipe so I could aim it down more. The hose for that one needs a little shortening as well.
Attached Image

Where the mufflers end up. I will be putting 45* tips on them last. You can again see the one pipe that is a bit too long.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 6 2010, 07:03 AM
Post #825

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Ha!
You should have called me when you got stuck at the gas station.

Erin woke me up last night at 1:30. "Mike is still working outside!" I don't think that I said anything, but I was thinking"why are you waking me up to tell me this?"

I gave Evil 5 gallons of gas. he was all "I can start it!" And I was like "dude you have no exhaust" And he was "It'll be awesome!" And I was all "I want my neighbors to like me." So he did not start it up.

Anyway, since the 914 is out of the garage, we put the bus back into it so it could be finished off w/o care of the weather. Which is supposed to be stupid awesome this week.

I looked at the bus this morning before heading to work, and the exhaust looks great.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 6 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #826

I field stripped my bike at the Sheetz station last night. I removed the seat and smugglers compartment to check the battery and wires, removed the headlight and messed with the wires, removed the gas tank (found the loose wire). I had to go across the street to the grocery store to get some tools and some tape to hold the headlight on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I need to fix a few things on the bike before I come over today.

On the way home, there was a deer on the freeway walking around (natures retard). Scared the shit out of me, but I missed it.

I left at 0130 and heard someone in the bathroom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Is Erin OK with my late hours?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 6 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #827

En Garde!

She is fine with it, just surprised that you were still there. She tends to be a night owl. I was out cold by ~10:45. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Whatever you were doing did not wake me up, so I was happy.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 6 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #828

Cool. I am sore today. I anticipate another late night, depending. All I need to do is finish sorting out the wiring, mount the shifter, and mount the front seats. Then I can leave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 6 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #829

My problems have moved from computers to vehicles with the VUE going through wheel bearings, the suby blowing a head gasket and not my R90 randomly deciding not to start. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) It just stranded me at a parts store down the street. I just spent a little time fixing the wiring and will be off to work on the bus at 6pm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Apr 6 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #830

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

DANGER EVIL ONE, DANGER !!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Apr 6 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #831

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 6 2010, 12:34 PM) *

I field stripped my bike at the Sheetz station last night. I removed the seat and smugglers compartment to check the battery and wires, removed the headlight and messed with the wires, removed the gas tank (found the loose wire). I had to go across the street to the grocery store to get some tools and some tape to hold the headlight on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I need to fix a few things on the bike before I come over today.

So is this the bike you're trying to sell me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 6 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #832

En Garde!

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 6 2010, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 6 2010, 12:34 PM) *

So is this the bike you're trying to sell me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

No, but from the looks of it he is going to be riding that one soon.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Or Noel's Dream (talk about an Ape on a minibike...)

Zach
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Apr 6 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #833

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

What the heck, I trained on a Suzuki GZ250. And I was not the biggest guy in my class either.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 7 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #834

Ken, I dont think my bike would be a good bike for you. It would be a great investment for someone, but not a good bike for a beginner wanting to ride it now.

Last night was my longest night yet. I quit at 0245 and got home at 0400 (stopped for a snack). All I did was wiring completion and a rough mock up for the shifter. It is actually very stout and will be where it stays until I decide to move it. I am focusing on getting it moving to my house at this point so form will follow function, as it should be.

The gauges look awesome! I need to adjust the light in the fuel gauge side as you can see.

No work today on the bus, I need to do school and transmission work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 7 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #835

Gauges

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 9 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #836

Last night was productive. I got stranded until 0130 by some rain and wind. I got all the wiring sorted out for the signals and instruments. Some dumbass (me) put the turn signal wire to the high beam indicator. Man, that was hooked into EVERYTHING and caused some fun mental exercise. Now all signals work, gauge lights, high beam indicator, oil P, and battery. The only gauge that is not firing up yet, and I am not sure why, is the O2 sensor, but I am not worried about it right now.

After cramping my mind with wiring diagrams, I decided it was time to figure out the front seat situation. I have captains chairs out of a later model bus and some feel that these are a bit high. After mocking up the bottom of the seat on the drivers side and sitting on it I quickly realized that it is too tall for me. My head was rubbing the headliner when I sat up straight. So, I opted to mount the seat pan directly to the body. One side of the body mount area was lower than the other so I made up some mount tabs and welded them in.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I also welded up all the holes from the old seat mount being drilled out. It was a stinky, smokey night.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 9 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #837

The seat in position and the mount for the passenger seat being mocked up. I quit at this point as I need some more scrap metal to fab up a bracket for the passenger seat.
What is left to do:
- Finish seat mounts
- Wrap exhaust
- Weld last part of exhaust
- Start engine and drive

I also spent some time yesterday cleaning the rust out of the pulleys so that the belt would not be eaten up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 9 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #838

I suppose some may wonder about the lack of adjustment in my drivers seat. It will be adjustable, sort of. It will be bolted in place and all I have to do is drill holes where I want to move the seat. Luckily, I have the inseam of a person who is 5'7" so where it is now should be great for most people. All my height, 6'2" is above the waist, like an ape (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 9 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #839

En Garde!

Evil also spent some time trying to convince my son to ride motorcycles (while Theo tried to convince Mike of the benefits of wearing poopy diapers!)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-1435-1270839923.1.jpg)

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 9 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #840

Prey animals in the wild often soil themselves with feces to make themselves unappetizing to predators (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

85 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 11:21 AM