Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

85 Pages V « < 46 47 48 49 50 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Doc's tranny waggin'
VaccaRabite
post May 26 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #941

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I best be getting to drive it this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 26 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #942

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372

Hells ya! I just finished doing the sound deadening on the drivers door and now am mocking up my speakers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I may have a stereo in it this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Chris has to drive this when he stops by. I think it will blow his mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
type11969
post May 27 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #943

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Yeah, I already know I am going to be kicking myself for not blatantly copying you. I really dig my camper special/stock fuel injection and it would have taken me a long time to get a vair project together. But I'm sure the power is pretty badass and I know you have much less $$$ in to your engine. Oh well. Looking forward to checking the beast out.

-Chris
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 27 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #944

One little O-ring can really mess up a morning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The story:

Since Noel enjoyed driving the bus so much, she was looking forward to driving it to work today (with me as a passenger). Well, if anything will break, she will cause it to. She is cursed and is the best test pilot. Problem #1, I had just hit reserve on the fuel gauge. Plenty of gas to get to work and the gas station. She mentioned that the fuel was low....Problem #2, I did not look at the gauge as I thought I knew what she meant. Problem #3, it was running like shit this morning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) We get to the hospital (where she works) and when I get out I smell gas, VERY STRONG. I look in the engine bay and find it sprayed with fuel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) The O-ring that seals the tube connecting the primary and secondary bowls of the carb, on the secondary side, has split and was allowing fuel to spew forth. Obviously not good. Soooooo, I commenced to repairing it in the fire lane, out side the hospital. Except, I did not have any sealer, or a new O-ring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So, as spots behind me opened up (semi OK parking for drop off and pick up) I pushed the bus back into them. Then, luckily, I saw my friend on his way to work and he lent me his car so I could go home and get another O-ring. When I returned, security was writing tickets for those vehicles left in the spots, unattended, for too long. I told the guy that I was just going to park my friends car (required me parking it behind the bus, leaving it, going into the basement to get Noel's ID for the lot, returning, driving to the lot, and walking back) and that I would be fixing and driving the bus away shortly. He was very cool and said no problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) When I returned I had the bus fixed and running in less than 5min (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

So, the valuable lessons learned:

1) I need to keep a fire extinguisher in the bus at all times. This could have been bad.

2) I need to assemble a tool kit to carry at all times. All I had was a small pair of vice grips to use as a wrench (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I went to sleep at 0330, awoke at 0800 to take Noel to work, and got home at about 1130 after this ordeal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Next<_<
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 2 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #945

And the plot thickens (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I was unable to get the trans pan to seal so I removed it to try again. That is when the shit hit the fan. I found burnt fluid, a nice metal sheen, 1/16 metal shards, and pieces of what was like a dremel cutoff wheel (the non reinforced ones). The weird dremel stuff does not match any of the materials from the trans or the torque converter (TC). The TC was the only thing not replaced and now I am thinking that it had contaminants in it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I went and bought a used tranz to throw in, but when I removed the pan the valve train fell out as all the bolts were missing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) At that point, I figured I will just disassemble, clean and inspect the original one since it is easy and doesnt take too long. However, I am having to drop all of this crap in my drive way, at night so the old people on the rules committee dont see me. I am not sure how I am going to do it, but it will likely happen tomorrow PM.

I bought a rebuilt TC already. It should be here tomorrow. I will be adding a tranz cooler, and an oil cooler which should be showing up tomorrow as well. By the end of this I am going to be ready for residency and a break from wrenching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 2 2010, 04:55 AM
Post #946

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

It's always something... that bus is evil, I tell ya! EVIL! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 2 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #947

En Garde!

Well, that explains the metal on metal noise we were hearing at times. I wonder what gave out?

Zach
+Quote Post
Jakeodoule
post Jun 2 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #948

Member No.: 9,630
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Bummer,

Wish I could help you out like you helped me on my trans.
Remember the conversation about how you LOVE fixing stuff? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Jun 14 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #949

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

Is everything fixed?? Everything on every vehicle ???

Moving day is comming, how can we help

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Joe
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 14 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #950

Um, no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I have been working every day at Paul's shop on the damn suby. It should be done this morning. The bus has been fighting me all the way as well. I just repositioned the torque converter again as it ended up misaligned. What fun. The bus is finally being put together and looks as if it will be in one direction this time.

Since my last post I have conceded to install AN fittings in the oil system and to mount the cooler under the bus up front. The 250 max oil temps may be "normal" for the corvair engine, but if I can make it cooler and protect the engine then I think it is a good idea. No rubber push on line could handle the 250* oil so the braided line with AN was a natural conclusion. I still need to install this and look forward to doing this tonight. I have installed a transmission cooler (I am planing on towing stuff with the bus to my new home). I wont be able to post pics for a while, too busy.

The bus can not run until I get a modified part from Root that will allow me to put the AN fittings into the block for send and return.

I hope to have everything pretty much buttoned up on Wed so that I can start to clean out the garage.

More later.....
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 15 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #951

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Keep us posted!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 15 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #952

OK, today the Suby came back to life. I had to cut it short as I needed to get the Saturn back for Noel and had some friends swinging by town that wanted to say hi. Tomorrow I will button up the last bits and Paul will inspect it. I said that if it ends up putting oil into the water again, I am selling it for what ever I can get and buying Paul's 944S (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I am about to head out to conquer the bus! Last night I worked until midnight and got the tranz all sorted and installed. I need to button up the little odds and ends, and put the plumbing in place for the oil cooler tonight.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 15 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #953

En Garde!

I am stressed as hell and am considering a mental health day tomorrow. If it s not pouring I might be able to take my 914 up to Pauls and help with whatever.

Were you able to get the AN lines ordered?

Zach
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jun 15 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #954

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

DO NOT BUY A 944 S !!! Seriously. They have a one of a kind ( dohc ) valve train and if/when you have an issue within there, you will pay out the arse for a new center shaft or cam if needed. They have a habit of breaking teeth on the center shaft, and the tooth gets tossed around in the valve train.Porsche stuck with a single overhead cam for a reason. 924 or 944n/a or turbo only NO S (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jun 15 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #955

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Oh and glad to hear all is going back together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Sucks it happend when it did though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 18 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #956

The Suby is alive! I also put new tires on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Paul was a great help and he inspected it for me and everything. It is nice having a second working vehicle again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Here are some pics of what I managed to get done on the bus since last time.

I am intending to tow things with the bus so I installed a transmission oil cooler. Not too hard to do.

90* NPT elbows to some nipples
Attached Image

Clearanced the mount
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 18 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #957

Of course the second part of the mount had to mess up what I had going on. The nut from the mount is right where the nipples were.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 18 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #958

Spread them to fit
Attached Image

Tonight I did the oil cooler install which I can not finish due to awaiting the last major part from the USPS that Root modified for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Here is the AN madness I did.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 18 2010, 12:09 AM
Post #959

More

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 18 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #960

Quick shot of the tranny cooler in the left rear pocket.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

85 Pages V « < 46 47 48 49 50 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 05:18 AM