Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT: Just had my catalytic converter liberated from my 4X4 Tacoma...., Mother Effers!
Dr. Roger
post May 15 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #1

A bat out of hell.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

Spent the night at the GF's house and parked right in front of her bedroom window.
Woke up the next day and saw the rear of my exhaust system hanging down.

I checked where they had cut the pipe and noticed that there were marks to indicate a hand held pipe cutter/tubing cutter was used. No sawzall. Very quiet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The local PD said there's been a rash of these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

The tow truck driver told me he did a recent pick up of a woman's car at a BART station. Outer lot. It was quitting time and several people were walking out to their cars and one by one, cars were starting and loud exhaust sound came from several cars. The tow truck driver inspected these cars and found that the thieves would not touch the cars with heat shields attached to the pipes, only the easy targets with easily accessible exposed exhaust pipes.

So when I get my truck back I am welding up some sheet metal shielding to the exhaust system. Quazi brush guards/anti-theft devices which can't hurt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Insurance deductible: $100.

Quote from Toyota to replace exhaust system, 2-O2 sensors, associated emission control wiring: $2,000.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Hey, it's just another excuse to drive Bebe! Like I need one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 15 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

WTF? Wow. Lame theiving bastards. What next?
+Quote Post
purple
post May 15 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

shit, that sucks!

makes my glad for once my cat is right next to my manifold in the mini cooper. they'd have to f'n impact that sucker off, that is if they are 2 inches thick laying down (it's lowered and i skin roaches backs that run across the road in front of me) Otherwise it's an annoying heat source.

In texas a few years back it was tailgates and spare tires that got stolen off of pickups. Cats.... wtf? is there some fence out there that takes platinum out of cats? shit people need to get a life already.
+Quote Post
Chevota79
post May 15 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,113

Hey I know how you feel i just had the cat stolen off my 4Runner a few weeks ago but only cost 100 buck for a new one since it is OBD1. I hate thieves it makes me so angry inside i am waiting for them to start punching holes in gas tanks because of the way gas prices are.

Josh
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 15 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

They have proposed stamping / welding VIN number on cats too. Stolen cats are a serious problem due to their scrap value ... your's about $200 cash.

Those of us who buy large amounts of cats are gettin' real nervous. Average buy is north of $200,000 on the road and the sellers want cash (no traceable checks). There has been a rash of killings over both the cats and the money you have to carry.

Blame China .... It's sucking all the raw materials out of the world and driving prices thru the roof.
+Quote Post
purple
post May 15 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #6

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 15 2008, 05:01 PM) *

They have proposed stamping / welding VIN number on cats too. Stolen cats are a serious problem due to their scrap value ... your's about $200 cash.

Those of us who buy large amounts of cats are gettin' real nervous. Average buy is north of $200,000 on the road and the sellers want cash (no traceable checks). There has been a rash of killings over both the cats and the money you have to carry.

Blame China .... It's sucking all the raw materials out of the world and driving prices thru the roof.

No, blame us for moving production of every friggen piss-ant product over there, and then expecting the slaves that make the stuff to remain slaves indefinitely. Those people got paid to make that crap at wal-mart. Now we get to deal with the cost that we should have been paying for the decades we enjoyed cheap shit from china, in a short time span.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 15 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

That's like stealing the skid marks out of someones shorts, WTF!
+Quote Post
dw914er
post May 15 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #8

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 15 2008, 03:55 PM) *

i remember hearing about that. There is something in it that makes it valuable, and it is also annoying

on a similar note, i heard a few ytears ago about people stealing all the doors of the (then new) jeep tj wranglers.

The doors are easy to get off for any cj-yj-tj, and so people would steal em, and sell em with little effort
+Quote Post
scotty
post May 15 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #9

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

Meth. Damn meth-heads.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 15 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(dw914er @ May 15 2008, 04:38 PM) *

i remember hearing about that. There is something in it that makes it valuable, and it is also annoying

Platinum....
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 15 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #11

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(purple @ May 15 2008, 03:17 PM) *

No, blame us for moving production of every friggen piss-ant product over there, and then expecting the slaves that make the stuff to remain slaves indefinitely. Those people got paid to make that crap at wal-mart. Now we get to deal with the cost that we should have been paying for the decades we enjoyed cheap shit from china, in a short time span.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

These comments are spot-on.
+Quote Post
eg914
post May 16 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,223

There has been a lot of this in the Sacramento area recently. The paper ran an article, said that the metals were the reason. Seems like the scrap dealers should be required to get information about the sellers in these cases.

One of my co-workers was hit. He drives a 4x4, so easy access.

Another reason to drive an older (pre catalytic converter) car.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 16 2008, 05:10 AM
Post #13

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Same thing happened to my co worker on her new 4 Runner. it was brand new too - like 2 weeks old when someone decided it needed a de-catting mod.

Zach
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 16 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #14

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(!Wet Spot! @ May 15 2008, 08:47 PM) *

Platinum....

Close, but no cigar.

Platnium, Palladium and Rhodium.

And the scrap dealers are doing something. Anyone that is selling us scrap (of any kind) is fingerprinted, a photo of them and the material taken, a photo of them standing in front of their delivery vehicle showing license number and a copy of their drivers' license is taken. They also sign an affadavit that the material is not stolen.

Further, if we even suspect the material is hot, we refuse to purchase it.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 16 2008, 08:06 AM
Post #15

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Hmmmm valuble, but why Catalytic? Why not Dogalytic? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 16 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #16

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 16 2008, 05:58 AM) *

QUOTE(!Wet Spot! @ May 15 2008, 08:47 PM) *

Platinum....

Close, but no cigar.

And people ain't made of water.....details. It's the main ingredient and most mouth breathers doan know what Palladium and Rhodium is......

Isn't The Palladium where Willie Nelson plays when he's in town? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post May 16 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #17

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(ericread @ May 15 2008, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(purple @ May 15 2008, 03:17 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

These comments are spot-on.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And we are ruining ourselves even more with illegal immigration. Look at what two main groups want those borders wide open - the illegal immigrants and big business. And they will tell you without cheap labor (we are a fantastic country for enslaving people for greed of the almighty dollar) that everything will sky rocket and certain jobs "won't get done".

You pay a fair wage and EVERY job will get done. It's what the market will bear, which won't be huge inflation. It will be a DECREASE IN PROFITS for the fuckers that own (i.e. wealthy stakeholders) any major home builder, restaurant chain, what's left of manufacturing in this country, etc. BUT, if a dollar can be made, laws of capitalism say someone will make that dollar, so maybe homebuilding goes back to smaller middle-class owned business directly where they keep overhead/mgmt costs down, etc and capitalize on a "smaller" profit by the fact it is larger margin in that model.

Imagine, a burgeoning of the middle class, an decrease in overall poverty and a decrease in the gap between the wealthy and the vast majority of the country (as in about 95% of the country).

but just keep in mind, if you are getting your lawn cut by fresh off boat Nguyen, your deck built by border bandit Rodriguez... YOU are the problem as well. And it is us, the middle class that bears the burden of paying for all that health care, welfare, education, blah blah because most chose to save a hundred bucks a year on lawn care by underpaying.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 16 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #18

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 16 2008, 10:06 AM) *

Hmmmm valuble, but why Catalytic? Why not Dogalytic? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Because you can put a price on Catalytic. Dogalytic is priceless. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post May 16 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #19

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

My next door neighbor got hit a while back...I had my Tacoma parked outside, but they left it alone. I park it in the garage now.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 16 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #20

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 15 2008, 06:01 PM) *

What type of business buys a CAT???
I have a few dead ones kicking around...a few hundred would be nice.
I was gonna drop them at a metal recyler with all the other scrap metal.

Rich
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 05:33 PM