Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for some help
purple
post May 27 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #21

Pigeon feeders attract me

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,942
Region Association: None

OMFG

dbgriffith...your avatar has me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mr.midget
post May 27 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,092
Region Association: Upper MidWest

this picture didn't make it on there for some reason

Attached Image

So if the battery tray is all that's corroded and there isn't much damage underneath it (i'm assuming you mean to the body underneath the tray) is the tray easy to replace? Since the pictures seem to check out, i'm going to arrange to get up to michigan to look it over myself. We have another neighbor who specializes in engines and parts, so i'll have him look at it as well, and make sure the 'bad plug' isn't something more. thanks for the input! i was wondering about if the motor was a 1.8 or a 1.7. he said it was a 1.7, but i though the 1974s had a 1.8....again, i could be wrong. -m
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 27 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #23

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Even trying to take culture into account (you're in Michigan, I am in California) that looks like a $1500 car teetering on the edge of being a parts car.

Why has that trunk been sprayed with bed liner? I would bet it is because the trunk floor at the trailing edges was rusting through.

That battery tray is being eaten up. I would bet the "hell hole" is going as well. That leads to the passenger side suspension console and the passenger side long.

The door bubbles are more concerning than that rear trunk but they are both rust.

And, it doesn't run.

I would increase your budget to 5-6K and look in California Oregon or the Southwest. Plan on a trip to tow it back or paying a transport service.

Eric is right. I am from Minnesota and there is a very good reason you don't see old cars every day in the summer in Minnesota Wisconsin Michigan and the likes. They're gone. This one might be all but gone.

Good luck... If you are married, look your wife deep in her eyes and ask her if she loves you right before you write the check for any old project car...

Restoration is expensive and time consuming. Divorce is more expensive and time consuming.

Oh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 27 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #24

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I would increase your budget to 5-6K and look in California Oregon or the Southwest. Plan on a trip to tow it back or paying a transport service.

Eric is right. I am from Minnesota and there is a very good reason you don't see old cars every day in the summer in Minnesota Wisconsin Michigan and the likes. They're gone. This one might be all but gone.

Good luck... If you are married, look your wife deep in her eyes and ask her if she loves you right before you write the check for any old project car...

Restoration is expensive and time consuming. Divorce is more expensive and time consuming.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This just may be the post of the year, I say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post May 27 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #25

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942
Region Association: None

dodger sure has his finger on the pulse....
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 27 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #26

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

He's got his finger on "something" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The respray has me suspicious. Sprayed over the springs and camber adjustment plates etc. The black respray in the trunk has me thinking the floor has been replaced. The rust on the lid has me thinking there's a lot of rust on this car... or there was.

Take a long hard look and look in all the places these people are telling you to look.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 27 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #27

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 27 2008, 11:45 AM) *

He's got his finger on "something" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The respray has me suspicious. Sprayed over the springs and camber adjustment plates etc. The black respray in the trunk has me thinking the floor has been replaced. The rust on the lid has me thinking there's a lot of rust on this car... or there was.

Take a long hard look and look in all the places these people are telling you to look.

My finger doesn't stink though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think what people don't realize is that if you see a little rust on a 914 or a 240Z or any car of that era you probably are looking at the tip of the iceberg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Rust prevention wasn't really a priority until sometime after our cars were made. A buzz word in the business world at that time was "planned obsolesence". How can they sell you a new car if the one you have is still nearly perfect? Anyone ever see a Vega? You can go deaf listening to one rust if you stand too close...

Midget, I would move along. Even from 1700+ miles away I think something is wrong with this deal. Cars with that few "original" miles (I hate that phrase, what the heck does it mean?) should be in better condition. Mine had been stored for 20+ years in a dry clean garage and it had rust in the battery tray area. Damn tray support was completely collapsed. Battery was leaning toward the engine. Not much other rust but still, this is a 70K mile California car. Your prospect is a Michigan car that doesn't look like it spent winters stored properly. I would EXPECT a logrythmic increase over what I saw.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 01:52 PM