Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Continuing Work on My 914 EZ30R Twin Turbo Conversion, 1/31/12, nothing new just started working on the car again pic will follow
charliew
post Aug 13 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

Boy you trust the tranny crossmember way more than I would have for the rear support on the rotisserie course with the floor cut out the back panel hasn't got much left for support either..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Aug 17 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 752
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 12 2009, 10:16 PM) *

Boy you trust the tranny crossmember way more than I would have for the rear support on the rotisserie course with the floor cut out the back panel hasn't got much left for support either..

It's really solid with all the reinforcements i have done to the chassis, i wouldn't have done it that way to a stocker.

Little update on my car, worked on it all day yesterday, did some more sheet metal work on the outer rear frame rails, got quite a few pieces made, so im almost done with that, which is great be cause im getting bored with that, but i should be getting my ez30r hopefully this coming weekend. Im taking my GF to magic mountain for her birthday, and will pick up the engine if they are in stock, gruppe-s just happens to only be an hour drive from magic mountain, but hey she wanted to go to magic mountain, so it worked out great. So hopefully I should have some picks of the engine next week. (keeping my fingers crossed). And well if they dont get the engine till next week, well i guess all the hotels are gonna be sold out and we have to delay the trip another week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Numbchux
post Sep 4 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 10,758
Region Association: Upper MidWest

very cool! what do you plan to run for management? stock ECU won't work in a porsche due to immobilizer issues, so you'll be running a standalone of some sort. I know Hydra can run the EZ30DR, but the AVCS and AVLS control is open loop. the new Link can control them all with closed-loop mapping, but that setup is extremely expensive.

I bought an EZ30DR shortblock about a month ago.....haven't decided what to do with it. putting it in a 914 has crossed my mind....
(IMG:http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/DSCF0707Medium.jpg)
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Sep 4 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #44

QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 3 2009, 10:19 PM) *

very cool! what do you plan to run for management? stock ECU won't work in a porsche due to immobilizer issues, so you'll be running a standalone of some sort. I know Hydra can run the EZ30DR, but the AVCS and AVLS control is open loop. the new Link can control them all with closed-loop mapping, but that setup is extremely expensive.

I bought an EZ30DR shortblock about a month ago.....haven't decided what to do with it. putting it in a 914 has crossed my mind....

You posted your engine as ez30dr, there is actually two different engines the 01-04 engine which has no variable valve lift or variable cam timing, and its called the ez30d they also only have one exhaust port per head. The engine im using is the ez30r which has the cam lift and valve timing, and three exhaust ports on each head. The ez30r was made from 05-07, then they changed to the ez36r which isnt any good for performance because of the offset connecting rods.

Both of the ez30's are awsome engines with tons of performance potential, outfront motorsports builds them for dune buggys and has made over 1100 HP with a stock block with a closed deck, and a stock crankshaft. Cant wait to get mine going.

Im looking into the link its not that much more expensive then the hydra. But i have quite awhile before i have to worry about Engine management.

But have been making progress on the car just nothing to exciting to show any pics of

+Quote Post
budman5201
post Sep 4 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 7,635

QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 3 2009, 11:19 PM) *

NOPE I can get you a Link for $1100 shipped to you. For an awesome stand alone thats great!
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Sep 4 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #46

NOPE I can get you a Link for $1100 shipped to you. For an awesome stand alone thats great!
[/quote]

That may be for the four cylinder, but i thought it was around $2100 for the G4 for the ez30 but it been awhile since I checked but i may be wrong
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Sep 4 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #47

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

I think the base G4 box only has four ignition drivers, but that just means you'd run it with wasted spark for six and eight cylinder motors.

I haven't looked at the Link in a while either, but it may be time for another one.
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Sep 4 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #48

Haven't done a ton of research on the G4 but I know there is a few guys running the ez30r's in some subie's with the variable valve lift and cam timing working under closed loop. But dont know about the ignition drivers. But the link is probably what im going to run.
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Sep 4 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #49

[quote name='TwinTurbo914' date='Sep 4 2009, 02:07 PM' post='1210985']
[/quote]

That may be for the four cylinder, but i thought it was around $2100 for the G4 for the ez30 but it been awhile since I checked but i may be wrong
[/quote]

Yep your exactly correct. The $1100 price is for the G4 Link Storm ECU ( what i am running) it is sequential up to 4 cylinders then you have to run either batch or waster spark for 6-8 cylinders (1 mpg difference and power almost the same.I have had both computers) I believe the STORM also has cam control capabilities. it lists this under features on the Linkecu website

-Precision closed loop cam control (four cam, independent control)

The G4 Link EXTREME has up to 8 cylinders sequential possibilities and GOBBBS of other functions. (youll prob never use) But it runs $1600 (My Price.)

Check out their website linkecu.com it lists almost anything you want to know about those computers. I love them!

+Quote Post
Numbchux
post Sep 4 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Sep 4 2009, 11:59 AM) *

You posted your engine as ez30dr, there is actually two different engines the 01-04 engine which has no variable valve lift or variable cam timing, and its called the ez30d they also only have one exhaust port per head. The engine im using is the ez30r which has the cam lift and valve timing, and three exhaust ports on each head. The ez30r was made from 05-07, then they changed to the ez36r which isnt any good for performance because of the offset connecting rods.

Both of the ez30's are awsome engines with tons of performance potential, outfront motorsports builds them for dune buggys and has made over 1100 HP with a stock block with a closed deck, and a stock crankshaft. Cant wait to get mine going.

Im looking into the link its not that much more expensive then the hydra. But i have quite awhile before i have to worry about Engine management.

But have been making progress on the car just nothing to exciting to show any pics of

common mistake, the actual engine code is EZ30DR. the '05+ one with AVCS and AVLS is the DR. the motor I have came out of an '05 Tribeca. the 3.6 is a DR as well, but it has AVCS on both intake and exhaust cams. too bad about those rods though.

anyway, sweet project. I have worked with a few Links on various swaps, and have an older one (v4 Link 1) that I plan to use on my supercharged EJ22e (which might find it's way into a 914....). I would highly recommend going that route.

budman, are you a Link dealer? I need a ComLink for my ECU....
+Quote Post
charliew
post Sep 12 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

I will follow this my son and I are looking at standalones mainly because the drive by wire is a bear to get right with rr. And I like the idea of getting rid of all the excess wires of the oem ecus but at a pretty steep price.
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Sep 13 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 4 2009, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Sep 4 2009, 11:59 AM) *

common mistake, the actual engine code is EZ30DR. the '05+ one with AVCS and AVLS is the DR. the motor I have came out of an '05 Tribeca. the 3.6 is a DR as well, but it has AVCS on both intake and exhaust cams. too bad about those rods though.

anyway, sweet project. I have worked with a few Links on various swaps, and have an older one (v4 Link 1) that I plan to use on my supercharged EJ22e (which might find it's way into a 914....). I would highly recommend going that route.

budman, are you a Link dealer? I need a ComLink for my ECU....

Yep I have a comlink. Can you take a picture of your input port so i can make sure its the correct one for your application?
+Quote Post
Numbchux
post Sep 13 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Sep 13 2009, 01:24 PM) *

Yep I have a comlink. Can you take a picture of your input port so i can make sure its the correct one for your application?

sending a pm so I don't clutter this thread anymore....Thanks!
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Sep 28 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #54

Well not to much new going on still plugging away at the car, just lots of grinding. Im cleaning up all the boxing and welding i did in the engine compartment and the interior. Hey I gotta make everything look pretty. Still got quite a bit to do though.

I started this weekend by working on laying out the roll cage. I should have my tubing in the next few days. And I'll probably start working on that this weekend.

But the exciting news is at least for me, haha, Is my engine is in, but its about 450 miles away. But it could not have had better timing as my parents are going on a cruise this week and they come back on Monday, and they leave out of San Diego so that means they are passing right by the company that i bought my engine from. So they are gonna pick it up for me a save me a weekend of driving.

I cant wait to get it, it the one thing really holding me up right now

+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Oct 14 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #55

Well started on the Rollcage this last weekend and got quite a bit done. Here's a few pics to show some progress, hopefully should be able to work on it some more this weekend. Im still waiting on the engine, but thats a whole other depressing story, but it should be here soon.

Enjoy the pics

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics002.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics003.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics004.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics005.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics005.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics001.jpg)
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Dec 7 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #56

Well Great news today, I finally got my engine. I picked it up from Gruppe-S this weekend, worked out perfectly as they are open on saturday, and we were going down to Socal for the Pomona swapmeet anyways. And then we were also able to go to the LA Autoshow saturday also. Had a great weekend down there and now the real fun starts now that I finally got my engine.

Ill get some pics of it as soon as I can get it unloaded out of the truck.
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Dec 9 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #57

Well Finally Got the engine out of my truck yesterday, my dad bought a big vertical metal cutting band saw at the swapmeet this weekend, so it had my engine trapped in my truck. So I had him help me unload everything yesterday. So I was able to unload the engine and I just had to get it into my engine bay, ive been waiting for this moment for ever. I used my existing transaxle mounts and used some leveling stands for the engine and got it mocked up last night. And it fits and looks awsome.

Unfortunatly my engine mount bar for the 4 cylinder subie isn't going to work so im going to make all new mounts, because im gonna give the mounts to one of my employee's that is gonna buy my 4 cylinder subie engine setup to do a swap on his 914.

The engine fits great with plenty of room all around, and just looks really cool ( will look even better once I get both turbo's hanging off of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)). One thing I was a little worried about is oil pan clearance, but that looks to be like its not gonna be a problem. I have the car on the ground and setting pretty low and I have about 6" minimum ground clearance with the oil pan.

Ill Post some more pic soon I gotta get my camera back from my GF. I just snapped these with my phone because I couldn't wait.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics013.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics014.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics010.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/iphonepics011.jpg)
+Quote Post
strawman
post Dec 10 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Sweet, a big block Suby!

I'm kinda surprised the engine bar doesn't fit -- for some reason, I thought the Suby six-cylinder engine and the four-bangers shared engine mounts... I guess the EZ30 is completely different. And your pics seems to discount others' suggestions that the EZ30 won't fit between the rear suspension ears.

Good luck on the project!

Geoff
+Quote Post
charliew
post Dec 10 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

It might just be a different motormount. Did you try to see if the 4 motor mounts would work on the 6? The 6 mount might be a stronger mount though.
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Dec 10 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #60

QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 10 2009, 08:08 AM) *

It might just be a different motormount. Did you try to see if the 4 motor mounts would work on the 6? The 6 mount might be a stronger mount though.

The engine bar I built for the subie four was hard mounted, and it would not work with my turbo setup Im going to build for the six. I dont have the engine Mounts or engine brackets for the Six they were gone when I got it, but supposedly they use the same mounts for the Four but have a different mounting bracket on the engine block of the six.

But the Engine mount is not going to waste im gonna give it to my buddy that is buying all my subie four stuff to do a subie swap on his teener.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 04:16 PM