Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Continuing Work on My 914 EZ30R Twin Turbo Conversion, 1/31/12, nothing new just started working on the car again pic will follow
charliew
post Dec 10 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

I'm sure you are using solid mounts to avoid motor torque in the chassis but my exerience with aluminum bolted solidly to a steel mount is that it will always need to be retightened I think because of the difference of the heat expansion between the two materials and the vibration and also the lower torque values of the aluminum. I have never tried a aluminum plate in between the block and the steel mount to see if that would help. Not a sandwich plate but a additional plate that the block bolts to then the plate would bolt to the steel mount. It is just easier for me to use poly mounts and not worry about it as getting under a car and retightening stuff is not a thing I like to do. Also aluminum has so much less torque holding characteristics than steel I have thought about bolting through the plate into or through the steel and bolting into the block and through the aluminum plate so the torque of the aluminum is the lower torque and the torque into or through the steel can be much higher. It is extra bolts to come loose so it may still be a extra problem and thats not good. I think maybe thats why harley shops loctite almost everything especially on the solid mount bikes.

I have had to put inserts in some of the fiero trannys to fix threads that get bad from a loose bolt in a mount. Not fun in the car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Dec 10 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 7,635

Oh hey that shiney header you have on your ej20 looks pretty, but its the same one that i had. It sticks down way too far and the stock heavy one doesnt. I recently converted mine back to stock due to clearance. So it fits nicely under the car now without sticking below the chassis. My power is still just as crazy, even with the smaller exhaust openings in the manifold. Seems to run a little quieter also....that was really my objective in switching back to stock.....
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Dec 11 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 752
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Dec 10 2009, 08:51 PM) *

Oh hey that shiney header you have on your ej20 looks pretty, but its the same one that i had. It sticks down way too far and the stock heavy one doesnt. I recently converted mine back to stock due to clearance. So it fits nicely under the car now without sticking below the chassis. My power is still just as crazy, even with the smaller exhaust openings in the manifold. Seems to run a little quieter also....that was really my objective in switching back to stock.....

I actually have a couple of those floating around, I bought another one at sema this year for $40. Im gonna sell them to my buddy who has a subie, and is buying all my subie 4 stuff for his 914. Ground clearance is not gonna be a problem with the headers on the ez30r, plus im making them myself so if they are to low I can only blame my self.
+Quote Post
Heater Guy
post Feb 24 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 10,960

Looks good! Keep going.

Hope to have mine at the track by the end of march.

Ron

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
number6
post Feb 24 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 9,546
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Feb 24 2010, 01:38 PM) *

Looks good! Keep going.

Hope to have mine at the track by the end of march.

Ron

Ron, that sure is sweet to look at! Will you be starting a thread on your car, with more info and photos?

Scotty, sweet build!
+Quote Post
quikshft
post Feb 27 2010, 04:10 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 11,408
Region Association: None

First post in this forum guys, this is an interesting thread and build. Seems there should be someone building adapters for the Subaru transaxle so that it can be used with other popular engines.
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Mar 4 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #67

Still Working on the car, but progress has been extremely slow. My new shop has been crazy busy. Im working like 12-13 hours a day 6 days a week, so there's not a lot of time to work on the car.

But I did find a few hours to work on it last week and my transmission mounts are almost complete, and the engine mounts are well along the way. Hope I can find some time to finish them up soon, its driving me crazy to see the engine in the engine bay but all rigged up with jack stands and everything else.

Ill post some more pics soon of the engine and transmission mounts.
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Mar 23 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #68

Well finally found some time to put into the car, engine and transmission mounts are mostly done, still have to add some gusseting to them, but the engine is hanging in the engine bay. There is tons of room around the engine, and great ground clearance. Now im getting the money together to buy my turbo's and merge collectors so I can start fabing the exhaust.

Here a few pics of it so far

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics019.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics020.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics021.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics022.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics024-1.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics025.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics028.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics029.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics030.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ForceFedGN/camerapics033.jpg)
+Quote Post
quikshft
post Mar 23 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 11,408

QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Mar 4 2010, 11:11 AM) *

Still Working on the car, but progress has been extremely slow. My new shop has been crazy busy. Im working like 12-13 hours a day 6 days a week, so there's not a lot of time to work on the car.

But I did find a few hours to work on it last week and my transmission mounts are almost complete, and the engine mounts are well along the way. Hope I can find some time to finish them up soon, its driving me crazy to see the engine in the engine bay but all rigged up with jack stands and everything else.

Ill post some more pics soon of the engine and transmission mounts.

I love it when you builders chop the trunk out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Zardozz
post Mar 23 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 8,874

Now I haven't eaten lunch yet so I might be a bit off but I gotta ask. Looking at the center loop, how do you get that out to pull the engine/trans? I think I see some bolts on the second pic by the towers but I'm having a visualization problem.

Bill
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Mar 23 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #71

QUOTE(Zardozz @ Mar 23 2010, 02:50 PM) *

Now I haven't eaten lunch yet so I might be a bit off but I gotta ask. Looking at the center loop, how do you get that out to pull the engine/trans? I think I see some bolts on the second pic by the towers but I'm having a visualization problem.

Bill

Yah there is 3 bolts on each side that bolt to the shock towers. 8 Bolts and I can drop the Engine straight out the bottom.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Mar 23 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Great work! Are you solid-mounting the engine/trans, or are using any bushings to reduce vibration?

Geoff
+Quote Post
Zardozz
post Mar 23 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 8,874

[/quote]
Yah there is 3 bolts on each side that bolt to the shock towers. 8 Bolts and I can drop the Engine straight out the bottom.
[/quote]

I built a baja about 100yrs ago and when I was done welding I couldn't get the engine out. Glad you were thinking ahead.
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Mar 23 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 23 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Great work! Are you solid-mounting the engine/trans, or are using any bushings to reduce vibration?

Geoff

As of right now it is solid mounted but i have the option to add in some rubber pads to isolate it. But it is going to mainly be a race car, so im gonna run it solid mounted for now and see how it goes.
+Quote Post
Frost
post Mar 25 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #75

Frost

Member No.: 9,035
Region Association: Southwest Region

Man that looks good, that is some nice engine mount fab work.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Mar 25 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

very nice!
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Mar 25 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 6,366
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Mar 23 2010, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 23 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Geoff

As of right now it is solid mounted but i have the option to add in some rubber pads to isolate it. But it is going to mainly be a race car, so im gonna run it solid mounted for now and see how it goes.

What kind of tubing did you use....Mild Steel or Chrome Moly? DOM? Just curious....nice fab work....A buddy of mine started to teach me how to weld last weekend....I always admired people who could do it....and now I have a even greater respect for those with that skill..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Im actually ok on thicker wall tubing....but sheetmetal is an art form....LOL

Nice work....keep the pictures coming...

Steve

+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Mar 26 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #78

[/quote]

What kind of tubing did you use....Mild Steel or Chrome Moly? DOM? Just curious....nice fab work....A buddy of mine started to teach me how to weld last weekend....I always admired people who could do it....and now I have a even greater respect for those with that skill..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Im actually ok on thicker wall tubing....but sheetmetal is an art form....LOL

Nice work....keep the pictures coming...

Steve
[/quote]

All the tubing is 1 1/2 .095 wall DOM Mild steel, same as the rollcage.

And on a Side note, I just ordered my turbo housings and should have them soon, along with my turbo merge collectors. So things are starting to really get exciting!!
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Mar 26 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #79

Hey what computer are you using? I just picked up a brand spanking new ez30R with 1k miles!! Will you be able to control the valve lift and cam timing ??
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Mar 26 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #80

QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 12 2009, 09:21 AM) *

I will follow this my son and I are looking at standalones mainly because the drive by wire is a bear to get right with rr. And I like the idea of getting rid of all the excess wires of the oem ecus but at a pretty steep price.

Hey also talk to Outfront motorsports. They eliminate the drive by wire throttle body and use a ford unit which is VERY close to the bolt pattern with a few mods, they said works perfect and that way you dont have to mod your pedal area too for drive by wire,etc.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 06:20 PM