Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT: Boxster checklist, couple questions
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 31 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #21

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I would try to find at least an '00. Tiptronic cars don't seem to have the RMS problem. My '00 gets 27-30 on the hwy and it's at 24.7 mpg right now with the heat and a/c on.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stateofidleness
post Aug 22 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,065

ok guys today might be the day!
goin' to look at two boxsters later.
one is an '01 with 41k miles and is a non-S (2.7L zanzibar red with tan leather int.)
the other is an '01 with 38k miles and IS an S (silver with red leather int.)

the red one is in the 16k$ range and the S is listed at $21k

now the questions:
1. when looking at the 2.7 (for some reason I'm leaning towards this one just a tad more even though it's not an S), are there any visual clues that will confirm it is actually a 2.7 and not a 2.5?
2. are there any specific questions I should ask the seller about the car?
3. any other visual inspections I can do when looking at it?

for the S model:
1. Is it worth the extra $5k to go to the S with lower miles? (whats resale value like between the two models?)
2. I noticed on the S models, the gear layout is much like the 914 with reverse being top left. Is there a problem with "nicking" reverse like in the 914?

any general comments/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. This will be my first car purchase that requires the loan process, being in debt, the whole nine.. so any input from olde.. *ahem* wiser folks is well received!

thanks
+Quote Post
Racer
post Aug 22 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I went looking for a Boxster in '06. After reading about the porosity issues of the 98-99 cars, I decided a 2000 or newer would be preferred.

I found a 2000, Speed Yellow over black, 40K miles, 18" sport design wheels. Upgraded interior (a faux carbon fiber look) and paid $16,5. Sold it 1 year later for $16,3.

Not sure of your budger, but 2000-2001 MY cars are now mid teens and with 40-75K miles.

A "friend" picked up a 2000 Boxster S for $15K (it had 90K miles) from a dealer!

it is a buyers market.

If you can, I encourage to find an S. The additional HP (252), larger brakes (it uses 996 front brakes), 3rd radiator, 6speed are all great upgrades.

That said, my 2.7 was a blast. A car with a 7K rpm redline! Good for 68mph in 2nd!

Be aware of the niggling issues:
1) Ignition swith failure
2) Top switch failures
3) Running hot - due to fans/fuses failing. Also need to keep those front grills clean!
4) RMS (and yes, this can effect ALL YEARS AND VERSIONS!)
5) Remanufactured motors do NOT hurt the value of the car
6) MAF failures (mostly when a K&N is used)
7) 02 sensor failures (very common with header upgrades)
8) Motor failures

Lots of folks seem to pursue aftermarket warranties for the issues stated above. www.986forum.com is a helpful site. There are other sites as well. www.986faq.com is helpful too!

S for the loan process.. likely never a worse time to secure a loan. Be sure to figure that side out first. how much can you afford? the rate? the term etc. No reason to go into debt for a depriciating asset, imho. No reason to have a loan that outlive the usefullness of the car too. Also see how old of a car you can get. Some banks wont offer money for a 10 year old car for instance.
+Quote Post
stateofidleness
post Aug 22 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,065

seems like every time i have it lined up to look at this car, something comes up.

Literally, JUST as i was calling the seller to meet up, I get a call from my aunt saying my Grandpa is in ICU... so off to the hospital..

priorities.. guess Ill have to wait on it.

wish my grandpa luck!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 23 2008, 08:05 AM
Post #25

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

FWIW the Tiptronic cars (911 or 986) are very rare to have the RMS problem as the different transmission supports the end of the crank better.

I know that some guys testosterone level is critically linked to a clutch pedal and manual shifter, but I totally love my Tiptronic, and probably wouldn't have anything else on a watercooled Porsche.

We have a 00' 2.7 with the Tip, sport package, 6 disc changer, trip computer, rear speakers, Rain Forest Green with Savanah Beige part leather interior, and just love the car. The good heat and a/c is hard to beat, and the seat warmers aren't bad either! We got the car used with 3500 miles on it, and haven't had one problem. More power would be nice, but after you've had a hot rod 914 with a 3.0, everything else seems like it needs more power. The more I live with the Boxster the more 914ish it seems to me.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 01:31 PM