Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the sawtooth build thread
sawtooth
post Feb 7 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 7 2011, 12:12 AM) *

Sounds good to me, which Pine Flats campground you talkin about. The one by Lowman?

Yup. Great site. We can be river rats and rent a bunch of rafts.

Hmmm that would be cool. That area also has some of the best scenic mountain twisty roads anywhere, between Idaho City and Stanley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Feb 7 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Feb 7 2011, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(a914622 @ Feb 6 2011, 11:21 PM) *

Love the build. Im looking forward to starting mine.

Have you had any Knocking running the outfront computer ? I ran the same set up in my vanagon and had lots of knocking up over the pass. I had to go back to the stock ecu.

jcl

No knocking at all, sewing machine smooth so far. Did you talk with the guys at outfront about it? They have top notch support.

When the stinger ecu is wired up are you using the stock Subaru knock sensors. If so you sould never hear any spark knock.

The car is looking great. Keep up the good work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bob
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 7 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #103

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That area also has some of the best scenic mountain twisty roads anywhere, between Idaho City and Stanley.

I knoooooooooow... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 7 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #104

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 7 2011, 11:52 AM) *

That area also has some of the best scenic mountain twisty roads anywhere, between Idaho City and Stanley.

I knoooooooooow... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What about this...
We could meet in McCall, drive to Banks for a float trip, from there go to Stanley via Lowman, and end up staying in Stanley. Then on the drive home could head out over Galena and down through Sun Valley. It would be epic at the right time of year. Or maybe the opposite, start in Sun Valley and end up in McCall.

+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 7 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #105

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 7 2011, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Feb 7 2011, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(a914622 @ Feb 6 2011, 11:21 PM) *

Love the build. Im looking forward to starting mine.

Have you had any Knocking running the outfront computer ? I ran the same set up in my vanagon and had lots of knocking up over the pass. I had to go back to the stock ecu.

jcl

No knocking at all, sewing machine smooth so far. Did you talk with the guys at outfront about it? They have top notch support.

When the stinger ecu is wired up are you using the stock Subaru knock sensors. If so you sould never hear any spark knock.

The car is looking great. Keep up the good work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Regarding knock sensors, the Stinger does not use them. Here's the info I have from John the owner of Outfront:

"Dean, no EMS product uses a knock sensor. There are only a few select ecus out there that can. The knock sensor is not usually used in High Performance as the engines make so much internal noise that it's hard to distinguish normal noise and knock. In a stock motor/cast pistons, standard valve train engine, a knock sensor makes more sense. Knock is due to poor timing maps and cheap fuel [that] a map was not intended for. My ignition map and using 91oct fuel should be real close and knock should never be an issue"
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 7 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #106

PMB Performance

We could meet in McCall, drive to Banks for a float trip, from there go to Stanley via Lowman, and end up staying in Stanley. Then on the drive home could head out over Galena and down through Sun Valley. It would be epic at the right time of year. Or maybe the opposite, start in Sun Valley and end up in McCall.

I'm doing Stanley over the 4th with the other Porsche (if you wanna call it that) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-1110-1297111618.1.jpg)

We should start another thread to gauge interest though...
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 7 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #107

QUOTE(Hontec @ Feb 6 2011, 01:12 PM) *

Great video! the sound alone is food for motivation!!!

Thanks Hontec, it is a great sound. Gets my blood flowing every time I fire it up. I'm going to use my real video cam in the next few days to hopefully get a cleaner sound clip to share.
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 7 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #108

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 5 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Looks great! This is close to just what I want. Although depending on getting the adapter plate for the 901 tranny. Along with the suby adapter motor mounts. I know this guy who is dying to give me a great deal on them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) . Just waiting to hear back from him on it. LOL

Sorry about the wait, thanks for the reminder, sent a PM.
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 7 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #109

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 7 2011, 01:46 PM) *

I'm doing Stanley over the 4th with the other Porsche (if you wanna call it that) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-1110-1297111618.1.jpg)

We should start another thread to gauge interest though...

Man I think you are spoiled. I'll probably be up in that area the same weekend, maybe we can meet up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 8 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #110

PMB Performance

Elk Creek group site. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 9 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #111

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

na might be ok on the street without knock sensors but a stock piston turbo suby will quickly be junk on bad gas without knock sensing in my opinion. Sure you can run a safe tune without them but you will be giving up a lot of timing to be safe in a 18- 25 psi turbo application. My son even uses aquamist, a 800.00 setup just to be safe at 26 psi. It is true built motors are noisey till it warms up but the knock threshold can be set a little to allow for it. Hotter climates are more critical I'm sure. The knock sensors must be torqued and have a clean installation to be optimum also. The best tunes are done with a listening device that can be made with a cheap hearing helper with the microphone put on a alligator clip and long lead so you can listen while you are tuning. Autospeed had a how to a few years ago on making one, but it's really just moving themicrophone to a lead with a alligator clip to fasten it to a bolt head or motor part close to the combuston chamber. You can usually hear a knock before the ecu registers it. My son is always reviewing his data for knock detection timing after a run. He looks first for any pulled timing incidences. He usually spots the knock light if it comes on during a run. He also has three things he watches, the road, the tach, and the knock light. Then the oil pressure and temp maybe. Thats still using the stock ecu but with speed density and open source tuning.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 9 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #112

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I can't wait to go for a ride saturday Dean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Not to mention picking up my other bits & pieces (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) . Don't forget to get me the link on the header
+Quote Post
a914622
post Feb 9 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 12,048

About the knock sensor
I did talk to them but it was back when they were outback. I did get the bad gas wrong timing store. I only got knocking under load at high alt.

here is a thread from the vanagon forum. Bad things with out a knock BUT heavier rig.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...ght=ems+stinger

The only reason im asking is because im thinking of using the stinger system on the 914 suby conversion . Its not doing me any good sitting on the shelf.
You couldnt send me a copy of what your running ??

thanks jcl
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 9 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #114

QUOTE(a914622 @ Feb 9 2011, 09:59 PM) *

About the knock sensor
I did talk to them but it was back when they were outback. I did get the bad gas wrong timing store. I only got knocking under load at high alt.

here is a thread from the vanagon forum. Bad things with out a knock BUT heavier rig.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...ght=ems+stinger

The only reason im asking is because im thinking of using the stinger system on the 914 suby conversion . Its not doing me any good sitting on the shelf.
You couldnt send me a copy of what your running ??

thanks jcl

You mean the base map outfront installed on my stinger? I'll see if I can figure out how to make a copy, don't know my way around the software too well yet. So what altitude where you at?
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 9 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #115

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 9 2011, 09:54 PM) *

I can't wait to go for a ride saturday Dean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Not to mention picking up my other bits & pieces (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) . Don't forget to get me the link on the header

That's so cool, can't believe you are going to get to come over to my neck of the woods. Looking forward to it!
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 9 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #116

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 8 2011, 10:42 AM) *

Elk Creek group site. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I know the spot and will definitely track you down.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 10 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #117

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Feb 9 2011, 09:27 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 9 2011, 09:54 PM) *

That's so cool, can't believe you are going to get to come over to my neck of the woods. Looking forward to it!

Yeah my 12 year old boy is going to ride along to keep me company. Should be a cool weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 27 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #118

Spent some time building a rotisserie last weekend.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 27 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #119

Dove in today and tackled the cowl/fender area. Nasty in there but not as bad as I thought.

Attached Image

Attached Image

After a some cleaning.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 27 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #120

Finishing up...

Attached Image
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 02:47 PM