Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New at CAMP
PeeGreen 914
post Oct 2 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #101

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(messix @ Oct 2 2008, 01:56 PM) *

i wonder if i my car goes into dans garage if it will just magically come back out coverted to a six and five lug? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'm sure it could if you magically gave Dan a few thousand dollars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Oct 2 2008, 03:01 PM
Post #102

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 2 2008, 02:00 PM) *

i wonder if i my car goes into dans garage if it will just magically come back out coverted to a six and five lug? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'm sure it could if you magically gave Dan a few thousand dollars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

only a few huh?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Oct 2 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #103

I guess that depends on what you have and what you want (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 2 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 9,546

QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 2 2008, 04:46 AM) *

Dan & Duc, You guys make a great team. So much enthusiasm and excitement to close the deal and get the car on the road. You are inspiring me to finish my car! I have a 75 the same color that is getting converted by yours truly...I may need some tips on wiring... My buddy TC's supply of HE's to ya should make the those cold morning drives really nice. Keep the updates coming.

Brian

brian, if by team, you mean me sitting tight and leaving dan alone to work his magic, then yes, we make a good team (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

my car's a '75, too. back-dated bumpers. color is not quite stock (viper yellow, which is a little lighter than what was on the car originally - don't recall orig color off the top of my head...it wasn't canary yellow...one of the other offerings for '75).

hope you get your car running soon. hopefully you have another 914 you're driving? not having mine for a month has been tough - i don't know how others can manage so long while working on theirs. yup, TC's HEs came just in time - it's getting wet and cold here. would not have been pleasant driving w/o them, for sure. even back a month ago when i drove the donor blue car back from california, i was freezing during the night drive. i'm wussy that way - i like being able to feel my toes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-duc
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 2 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #105

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Mines next. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 2 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #106

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Those wheels look awesome!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 3 2008, 01:34 AM
Post #107

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 2 2008, 05:24 PM) *

Those wheels look awesome!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Muchas gracias, Joseph. Yeah, the powdercoater did a good job. I'm not usually a polished-wheel kinda guy (I much prefer the satin/anodized look of the stock finish), but I think it's a good choice for a yellow car, especially w/ chrome bumpers. Plus, polishing & powdercoating was less than half of traditional refinishing. (For those considering the latter, Wheel Enhancement does really amazing work, BTW. I had them do the wheels for my other car, and the result far exceeded my expectations!)

With the wheels all shiny-new, I think I'm going to have to dress up my tires now. Yikes. I never thought I would turn into one of "those" guys. Haha.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 3 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #108

Village Idiot

Got Duc's 914 fired off last night. Zzzzzzzz, up a little late. Wound up with a small oil leak from the suction line at the tank and the crack on the muffler I didn't weld up is anoying. My mig is out of gas (Tank empty) and Duc is getting a triad anyway, so not going to fix that one. But, I'll figure out what's leaking on the oil line, hook up the last elect for gauges, puke tank and test drive hopefully tomorrow.

Duc - I might keep the 914 through the weekend to sort out little things and drive it to work Monday/Tuesday. You could pick it up from there maybe? I'll let you know.

Almost done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
morgan_harwell
post Oct 3 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #109

Ha! Finally snuck up on a camera!

Member No.: 203
Region Association: Northern California

>Those SS BBoat headers look cool.<

Once you get your car back, would you mind posting your thoughts about how well the SS headers w/heater boxes heat up the cabin and keep the windshield from fogging up?

I've heard complaints in the past about the aftermarket heat exchangers not being able to even defrost a windshield.

I've been driving my /6 conversion year round without a heater since 1987. It sure would be nice to have a heater once in awhile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/kyle.gif) . The $$$ for heat in a 914/6 are quite high. It would be nice to know if the $$$ get you what you expect.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 3 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #110

Village Idiot

Morgan, another local club member in my area has an original six with the B&B heater boxes. The air flow is good, but they never really get hot like the factory units do. The GHL units are about the same I have heard. Good air flow, but only so-so heat is produced. Around here in the PNW, they are a must have if you drive your car year round. They will keep you warm enough and keep your windows clear. On an icy morning, I don't think they would defrost anything though.

Most places seem to be around $2k a set for SS Heater boxes now. Duc got a very good deal on his. $2k is a lot to spend on heat, or warm air I guess. If your under 200hp, I'd try to find a set of good used factory units and have them cleaned and coated.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Oct 3 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #111

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 3 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Got Duc's 914 fired off last night. Zzzzzzzz, up a little late. Wound up with a small oil leak from the suction line at the tank and the crack on the muffler I didn't weld up is anoying. My mig is out of gas (Tank empty) and Duc is getting a triad anyway, so not going to fix that one. But, I'll figure out what's leaking on the oil line, hook up the last elect for gauges, puke tank and test drive hopefully tomorrow.

Duc - I might keep the 914 through the weekend to sort out little things and drive it to work Monday/Tuesday. You could pick it up from there maybe? I'll let you know.

I think you should swing by tomorrow. I will be working on a Pissat in the morning if you go for a test drive my way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 3 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #112

Village Idiot

It'd be in the afternoon if I can. Kid has football tonight, I have classes tomorrow, then I gotta actually work on Duc's 914 again to finish it up. So I may not actually get to go for a first drive until Sunday? Plus, I was hoping a couple people would chime in on the Dave\Kori TV delivery thread. If so, that'll suck up an afternoon or morning as well. My weekend is disapearing quickly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 3 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #113

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 3 2008, 07:26 AM) *

she's alive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

dan, mon/tues works for me. as much as i'm looking forward to having the car back, i'd much rather be patient so you can log some miles and shake out any bugs. plus, if it's tues-ish, i'll be able to stop by triad on the way home and get the new exhaust, which saves me a trip to olympia otherwise.

well, i better go get some work done, because next week is not looking good for productivity (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 3 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #114

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 3 2008, 01:58 PM) *

It'd be in the afternoon if I can. Kid has football tonight, I have classes tomorrow, then I gotta actually work on Duc's 914 again to finish it up. So I may not actually get to go for a first drive until Sunday? Plus, I was hoping a couple people would chime in on the Dave\Kori TV delivery thread. If so, that'll suck up an afternoon or morning as well. My weekend is disapearing quickly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Not to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) but are we delivering that this WE if so I gotta call Kori
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 3 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #115

Village Idiot

Rich, call her and ask if we can Sunday early or Saturday afternoon. I posted in the ALS thread just today.
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 3 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #116

QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Oct 3 2008, 07:57 AM) *

>Those SS BBoat headers look cool.<

Once you get your car back, would you mind posting your thoughts about how well the SS headers w/heater boxes heat up the cabin and keep the windshield from fogging up?

I've heard complaints in the past about the aftermarket heat exchangers not being able to even defrost a windshield.

I've been driving my /6 conversion year round without a heater since 1987. It sure would be nice to have a heater once in awhile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/kyle.gif) . The $$$ for heat in a 914/6 are quite high. It would be nice to know if the $$$ get you what you expect.

Morgan, you are harder core than me. Is your 914 a daily driver? Mine is, and I really rely on heat, especially when the weather turns like now. But even in summer, driving with top off on a cooler day/night, my heat is crankin'. 914 enjoyment greatly diminishes for me when I can't feel my toes. I know, I'm a pansy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Re: these SS HEs... I'm sure my experience will be exactly as Dan has commented, not only because he's owned and built many 6s, but also because the HEs I now have were originally his (from the blue car that is now in TC's care). Like you, I'm hoping for decent heat, but I'm setting my expectations low, so I don't get too disappointed. I know that seems a strange stance given the cost of SS HEs...but it helps that these are (I think!) proper headers (with just heater boxes built around them), so there's a performance advantage. At least that's what I think/hope! Can't say for sure since I haven't had a chance to measure the pipe lengths, etc. I'm looking forward to having Dave @ Triad give me his opinion on them from a performance perspective.

Maybe others with 6s can chime in about their experiences...and advice for improving heating performance for us newbies???
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 5 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #117

Village Idiot

There was an oil leak I think becuase the lower line from the tank had like 3 adapters on it. I couldn't get it to no leak so I welded up one of these.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 5 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #118

Village Idiot

Drove it around today for a bit. Seems fine. Two things that puzzle me a bit are the dash light stopped working (Driving at night ones on the gauges) and the blue donor car never had the alt idiot light hooked up. I hooked it up and it never goes out. Car also get bellow 12 volts with lights on. Ugh, I checked everything, it's all good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 5 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #119

Village Idiot

One more, Duc's 914 looks great! Very tight and the heater works much better than I thought it would. Very well sorted 914 now!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 6 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #120

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 5 2008, 09:30 PM) *

Drove it around today for a bit. Seems fine. Two things that puzzle me a bit are the dash light stopped working (Driving at night ones on the gauges) and the blue donor car never had the alt idiot light hooked up. I hooked it up and it never goes out. Car also get bellow 12 volts with lights on. Ugh, I checked everything, it's all good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Dan, you just made my day, thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
It's so good to see the car back on her feet!

The electrical issues...ay! I'm glad you're an ace in that department. Shaking out those kinds of bugs drive me bonkers! And it's always a bad ground or something silly, too, isn't it?

If you have a moment, can you snap a shot of the new engine bay? I could really use something to tide me over...because the anticipation is killing me!

I wanna (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Oh, I wanna (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) !
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 04:15 AM