Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New at CAMP
carr914
post Oct 6 2008, 07:30 AM
Post #121

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Dan, Good Work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) . Duc, your going to have a nice car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . Glad I could be part of your project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

T.C.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 6 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #122

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Drove it into work this morning, 30 miles. The 914 did great, nice to have heat, smooth, lots of power (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) No dash lights is anoying so I'll try to get that one squared up along with the alternator issue. I did run with the lights on all the way in, the lights never dimmed, car was clean and strong. I pulled into work, shut off the 914 and it re-fired like it was 100%. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

It could be me or something I missed. But the little alt light is still on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 6 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 9,546

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 6 2008, 06:30 AM) *

Dan, Good Work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) . Duc, your going to have a nice car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . Glad I could be part of your project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

T.C.

T.C., those heat exchangers will be used daily! Thank you again for the great deal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Strange...total deja-vu with this new message of yours. I've seen it before, word for word! Maybe my subconscious is surfing 914world while I sleep...

-duc
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 6 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #124

Village Idiot

Well, anoying that I couldn't figure out the alternator issue. When I got home I threw up my arms and looked over at my newly acquired purple 914 and thought (I know, a dangerous past time) and pulled the VR from that and stuck it in Duc's car. Alt light went right out and car started charging again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Why the original one wasn't working? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Duc, you owe me a VR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Looks like the little oil leak is fixed and I installed the fuel gauge in the dash and fixed the gauge cluster lights. Whew! I think I'm done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Duc, I'll e-mail you and probably bring the 914 down Wednsday to work. I won't drive it tomorrow.

The drive home was crazy with rain and Duc's 914 did amazingly well. It did start to fog up, but always kept clear windows were needed. Sweet! Took my over 90 minutes to go the 30 miles home due to all the rain and 2 accidents. The 914 never missed a beat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 6 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #125

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 6 2008, 09:27 PM) *

Well, anoying that I couldn't figure out the alternator issue. When I got home I threw up my arms and looked over at my newly acquired purple 914 and thought (I know, a dangerous past time) and pulled the VR from that and stuck it in Duc's car. Alt light went right out and car started charging again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Why the original one wasn't working? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Duc, you owe me a VR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Looks like the little oil leak is fixed and I installed the fuel gauge in the dash and fixed the gauge cluster lights. Whew! I think I'm done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Duc, I'll e-mail you and probably bring the 914 down Wednsday to work. I won't drive it tomorrow.

The drive home was crazy with rain and Duc's 914 did amazingly well. It did start to fog up, but always kept clear windows were needed. Sweet! Took my over 90 minutes to go the 30 miles home due to all the rain and 2 accidents. The 914 never missed a beat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Dan, I'll say it again: You are the man!

Spoke to Dave @ Triad today, and Wednesday will be perfect, as I'll be able to pick up the exhaust on the way home.

And, Dan, you can just keep my old voltage regulator. Hahaha.

Dare I ask what the problem was w/ the instrument lights?

-duc
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 1 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #126

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So... that's it?

I just read through this entire thread. Looks awesome.

But what was the problem with the dash lights? Where are the pictures of the completed car out running around in the Pacific Northwest sunshine? What size are those new wheels Duc? Look like 16x7's to me. Is your transaxle a /4 unit and still have the standard gearing setup?

BTW... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 1 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #127

Village Idiot

Yup that pretty much completed this project. Duc has the 914 back and is still fighting the alternator/charging issue. The dash lights I actually wound up running a litte bit of new wirring to cure that one. Under the dash of Duc's yellow 914 had been "worked" on before. It made tracing original wiring difficult. Plus we added a 911 combo gauge and seperate fuel gauge etc.

Hey Duc, I know your 914 is still at your Mechanics, any pictures for us now that it is back home?
+Quote Post
number6
post Nov 1 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #128

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 1 2008, 11:25 AM) *

So... that's it?

I just read through this entire thread. Looks awesome.

But what was the problem with the dash lights? Where are the pictures of the completed car out running around in the Pacific Northwest sunshine? What size are those new wheels Duc? Look like 16x7's to me. Is your transaxle a /4 unit and still have the standard gearing setup?

BTW... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Thanks, Gint. Yup, the wheels are 16x7. They were on the car before - I just had them powdercoated and re-polished. Yup, /4 gearbox w/ stock gears, for now. I want to switch to fuel injection asap, with better gearing on the list to follow.

Pictures of car running around now-RAINY PNW to come, as soon as I get the car back, hopefully this week.
+Quote Post
number6
post Nov 1 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #129

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 1 2008, 11:49 AM) *

Yup that pretty much completed this project. Duc has the 914 back and is still fighting the alternator/charging issue. The dash lights I actually wound up running a litte bit of new wirring to cure that one. Under the dash of Duc's yellow 914 had been "worked" on before. It made tracing original wiring difficult. Plus we added a 911 combo gauge and seperate fuel gauge etc.

Hey Duc, I know your 914 is still at your Mechanics, any pictures for us now that it is back home?

Hey Dan. No pix, unfortunately. I've been just up to my neck with work - so much so, I haven't even missed the car all that much (and that's scary!). Have just left my mechanic alone to go through everything. All but one leak fixed, so I'm stoked!

There's an expert in town who specializes in tweaking the old-style voltage regulators who's going to look at the car this up-coming week. If all goes well, that will be it, and the car will finally come home. I can't wait. Though I'm a little nervous now that the wet weather is here.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 3 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #130

Village Idiot

Well, remember to be cautious with the alt issue. I mailed back the original VR to you. It certainly isn't a 3.2 alternator in there and when you mentioned it was running 18VDC that is usally a sign of a bad VR. There is no voltage regulation going on. When I did put my VR from my purple 914 on there, it did work for what, 2 days? That was a very old school mechanical relay, the good ones you cannot buy anymore either. Keep that one and see if your mech can repair or alter that one. There the ones you can actually work on. Like the old 356/VW 6volt regs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2024 - 02:42 PM