Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tranny Swap, What else will work in a teener?
Brad Roberts
post Feb 4 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Umm Richard... use a Bus tranny bellhousing. They unbolt and have the proper mounting for a 4 or a 6.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Feb 4 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 5 2004, 03:19 AM)
There is a UK company that uses the 944 tranny's in a replica GT40 with a V8 in front of it.

I think the 944 box would work fine.. I know it is a Audi box also.

B

What I actually meant... would the tranny/engine combo (minus the torque tube) fit in a 914
That would be a cool conversion, with lots of relatively cheap power possibilties
(stock 2.5, 3.0 16V, 968 or even 951)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 5 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #23

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Jeroen, the 944 engine is basically 1/2 of the 928 engine, to fit look at Rich 918-S's car. Youd probably be looking at a similar firewall remodel.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Feb 5 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 97

I don't think the 944 trans is much of a solution. While it does have Borg-Warner syncros, its strength is not much greater (if any) than the 901. They fail a lot (often the ring and pinion) in regular 944s (less than 150 hp). The 944 turbo trans adds a cooler and stronger gears, but I don't think it gains much either (I have heard of a lot of failures).

The ZF 6-speed from the 968 looks good, but there have been R&P problems with it.

Also, the input shaft would have to modified for a regular clutch on any of these, as they are designed for the torque shaft attachment. A solution to this is an Audi 5000 trans (same as regular 944 but with a regular input shaft) but you are getting the weakest of the bunch in that case.

Sean is correct about the 944 engine - same length as the 928.
+Quote Post
flyloki
post Feb 5 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,264

Dayummm...

I think this might be the one you were referring to -

(IMG:http://members.roadfly.org/flyloki/914-1.jpg)

(IMG:http://members.roadfly.org/flyloki/914-2.jpg)

(IMG:http://members.roadfly.org/flyloki/914-3.jpg)

(IMG:http://members.roadfly.org/flyloki/914-4.jpg)

I think I need to talk to Scott
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
eresener
post Feb 5 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #26

Dr. Sawsall

Member No.: 1,252

I also have thought about the 944 2.5L motor for a 914. Since I have 2 944's here...check out my signature...my donor is a automatic...I think may be this weekend we might pull the motor and the automatic trans and "play"...just to see what we come up with...150 HP is decent for the teener...but the 2.5 L has an ungodly amount of high end torque...this could prove interesting...especially since I have all the electronics...and plumbing already available...

personally I'm not looking for a dragster...but a reliable highway cruiser...914 seems to be the ticket...no officer I didn't mean your ticket....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) the Doctor is in....
+Quote Post
d914
post Feb 6 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

I hate to be single minded here BUT, what about a subaru tranny???? Just saw a new spec racer sport car mid engine config with a full boat wrx drive train...?????
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 6 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #28

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I've been wondering about the subaru tranny.

There were some 2wd imprezas and other vehicles back in the day - so there ought to be plenty around, and I think they would be strong enough.

What would be hella sexy though would be the new STi 6 speed tranny - although that might cost more than a 915.

Maybe we should bugger off down to pick-n-pull and take a look at one - there are a couple of subarus down there that engines and trannys in there.
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 6 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

The 944 trans wil not work due to it having no provision for the clutch/starter/TO bearing & fork. That said, the Audi 016 is the same trans but with those provisions. Keep in mind, that the Audi was around 2900lbs with 160HP. Put that trans in a lighter car with less HP & torque, and it should last just fine. Still don't know what you'd do about the starter though.

I would speculate, that the Audi/Passat 1.8T with trans would make for an interesting 914 swap (modern drivetrain and EFI). They have good HP potential to boot. There's also a Tiptronic trans as well. The price of a used package ought to be quite attractive. Not long ago, there was a low mileage Passat tranaxle from a 2002 Passat 1.8T on Ebay for $300.......there were no bidders. BTW, Quaife makes an LSD for this trans.

Andy
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2024 - 09:05 PM