Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight, Sold & loaded on a trailer! Headed to Florida to Tommy
computers4kids
post May 11 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #201

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

How SWEET it is!!!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 12 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #202

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I didn't try to fire it up. Was getting kind of late & worked on the many other little things involved. One of which is reinstalling my axles/cv's. It was so nice not having those in the way when I did the drivetrain install. Usually I work around them. Is there a trick to getting the cv's to mate up the stub axle in the trailing arm. I fought with one for a good 20 minutes before calling it a night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Maybe I'm just tired. Any tricks you use would be great. I'll get back to it in the morning.

Besides the axles I need to hook up the starter. I need to track down my ground line. How many wires run to the starter again? I need to go to bed. Nothing is making sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Back to it tommorow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 12 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #203

914 Guru

Got my axles on fine. Guess I was just tired last night. I've got it back on the ground now. Just need to do a few hoses & the FI computer. I hope I can track down a diagram of them. I've got a few electrical things I am not sure on yet. Oh yeah & put the relay board in. Then it's break in time. I also need to figure out what I am going to do for a trailer. I bought one but it is not ready for the trip. I may rent a dolly or a trailer. Just goes against the grain wasting on renting. I'll check Craigslist for a trailer today.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post May 12 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #204

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey Jamie.. Check out this link for hose diagrams:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_20FI_diag.htm
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 12 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #205

914 Guru

Okay where does the single wire coming up from the alternator plug in?

Also on the relay board what plugs in on the big open spot towards the trunk? Am I missing a wiring loom. I also don't seem to have th 2 prong plug that plugs right next to the main wiring harness at the top of the board? Here are pics

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 12 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #206

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

That single wire in your hand? I dunno...whats it connected to? It looks out of place on that side of the engine. Could it be the oil temp sender wire?
The 12 pin connection on the relay boards is for your...ignition harness - you know - to the coil, starter, back-up light switch.
The 2 poles at the front of the relay board - rear window defroster harness connection...fogeddaboudit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 12 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #207

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 12 2010, 01:08 PM) *

Could it be the oil temp sender wire?

Doubt it. Oil temp is green/black and should be under the engine ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 12 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #208

914 Guru

That single wire in your hand? I dunno...whats it connected to? It looks out of place on that side of the engine. Could it be the oil temp sender wire?
The 12 pin connection on the relay boards is for your...ignition harness - you know - to the coil, starter, back-up light switch.
The 2 poles at the front of the relay board - rear window defroster harness connection...fogeddaboudit.

The single wire is connected to the Alternator.

The 12 pin close to the engine bay that is plugged in controls that?

Or the open 12 pin I have closer to the rear trunk?
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 12 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #209

914 Guru

Yeah I was missing one wire llom there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I found it & should be good. Had to drop things & go to my girls track meet. Hope to be back at it in an hour or so. Talk about pushing the envelope. Well keep your fingers crossed. Official fire up should be around 8 tonight
+Quote Post
Tom
post May 12 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #210

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Jamie,
The 12 pin is for the engine electrics. The forward plug is 14 pin and goes into the harness. Alternator wires should be 3 wires with a plug that plugs in next to the voltage regulator. Looking at your pic, your alt plug is plugged in already. I think there is one (hot) large wire that goes to the batt positive at the solenoid. That is the wire that charges the battery. Should have a round type connector, but someone may have changed yours.
Tom
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 12 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #211

914 Guru

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2010, 01:17 PM) *

Could it be the oil temp sender wire?

Doubt it. Oil temp is green/black and should be under the engine ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

Okay I think maybe this one should be under the car. It was ran through there & there is a hole for it or so it seems. The wire is Brown with a black strip & has an outer casing that hides that color? I thought it was from the alternator but I don't think it is. With the tin on I can't see what it is connected too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I have the 12 pin squared away for the most part. Which wires go where on the coil though. There are a total of 4 wires one being the white wire with a male end encased in the like 2" hard plastic. Then the 3 for the coil (Green w/ red stripe) , small black wire & slightly bigger second black wire. Thanks for all the help guys. I am so close to being able to fire it up. Just a few minor wiring things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom
post May 12 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #212

Advanced Member

Jamie,
Do you have a large wire hooked up from the alt. to the batt. term on the solenoid? If not, your alt. will not charge the batt.
The wire in your top pic is not supposed to be there. That is the hole for the thermo wire ( multistrand steel, not electric) that hooks up to the flappers.
Tom
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 12 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #213

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tom @ May 12 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Jamie,
Do you have a large wire hooked up from the alt. to the batt. term on the solenoid? If not, your alt. will not charge the batt.
The wire in your top pic is not supposed to be there. That is the hole for the thermo wire ( multistrand steel, not electric) that hooks up to the flappers.
Tom

Yes I have the large wire to the solenoid on the starter right? Any idea what that wire that isn't supposed to be there goes?
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 12 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #214

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Jamie, just checked out my engine bay & underneath. Like Jeff mentioned, I think that brown wire is the one that connects to the sensor in the taco plate. I couldn't find any other wires top side that matched it. It should have several tabs that hold it in place from underneath.
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 13 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #215

914 Guru

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 12 2010, 10:12 PM) *

Jamie, just checked out my engine bay & underneath. Like Jeff mentioned, I think that brown wire is the one that connects to the sensor in the taco plate. I couldn't find any other wires top side that matched it. It should have several tabs that hold it in place from underneath.

Thanks for taking a look for me. You are right it is the wire coming off the taco plate. I was able to pull it back down through the hole. Now where does it plug into?

Also The red wire coming off the Aux air cleaner. I routed it to the sensor on the plenum? I have a sensor on the motor right next to it. I seem to be short a wire there? Do I have the red wire off the Aux air cleaner in the right place? What color wire is pluged into the sensor on the motor? Thanks Tod
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 13 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #216

914 Guru

Still didn't fire it up today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Right there but it got late & I was tired. Aparantly not tired enough to sleep as after an hour I came back dwonstairs. Still I am doing breakin bright & early at 7am. Then I'll change the oil & run her lik ehell for a while. Before loading her on the trailer for the trip. Hopefully all will go well with break in. If I have more issues. Screw it I am loading it up & bringing it anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post May 13 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #217

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Jamie, here's a couple of links to my website. Since I have the engine still apart I can't take any photos, but there are a lot of shots of the wiring on these pages. I hope I can put this back together based on these photos also.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Dropping engine

Install vacuum lines

Dismantling engine

I hope this helps and good luck.

-- Rob
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 13 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #218

Advanced Member

Jamie regarding the taco plate. You'll have to remove the cover plate on it, to attach the wire. Should be very doable without dropping the portion with sensor and loosing your oil. Maybe remove one bolt, slide the cover over and reinstall the bolt so it sercures the main plate. There is also a grommet that the wire slides into before you attach it to the sensor. I'll check on the other wires soon as the lawn service leaves.

+Quote Post
Tom
post May 13 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #219

Advanced Member

Jamie,
The aux air regulator ( I think that is what you meant), wire goes to a white wire ( #12 from 12 pin connector on relay board). It should be switched +12 volts.
Tom
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 13 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #220

Advanced Member

Ignition wire harness - this has the wires that goto the coil - along with these is a green & red wire. this green & red wire attatch to the oil pressure switch in the hole by the distributor. the white wire that is in this harness attaches to the red wire on your AAR. It should have a plastic coupler on it.
The trigger point section of the harness also has a white wire that comes out. that attaches to air temp sensor.
Your plenium sensor has a rubber boot on it and a connector that will only allow it to go on one way. It's in the same wire section as the TPS.
Hope that helps. Too much stuff in the way to get you clear pictures.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 08:36 AM