Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight, Sold & loaded on a trailer! Headed to Florida to Tommy
JRust
post Oct 12 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey I came across a 914 for sale. I talked with the guy on the phone & he says it's a 73 2.0 car. It was in dry storage for a while but he couldn't find any rust. BOth trunks look good & he says below the battery there is NO Rust. I know I will believe that when I see it myself. Still I asked him to send me some pictures. I see bumper tits on the front bumper & know it's a 74. I also see Mahle wheels & an LE front spoiler (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Car runs & shifts great too! The side stripe isn't the right color for an LE though right?
How can I find out if it is an LE?
Vin#?
Then where would I find LE vins?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
20 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(220 - 239)
JRust
post May 13 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #221

914 Guru

Okay I didn't get it started but screw it I'm loaded & on the way. Just wasting to much time messing with it. So I'm off & towing it up. Won't get to take it on drives but oh well. See you all soon
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 13 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #222

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

QUOTE(JRust @ May 13 2010, 09:35 AM) *

Okay I didn't get it started but screw it I'm loaded & on the way. Just wasting to much time messing with it. So I'm off & towing it up. Won't get to take it on drives but oh well. See you all soon

Who are you kidding? You know the group will have you up and running in no time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 13 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #223

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 13 2010, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ May 13 2010, 09:35 AM) *

Who are you kidding? You know the group will have you up and running in no time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

We can't seem to keep our hands off of anything. I wish I was going. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 14 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #224

914 Guru

Okay I've had a few hickups since WCR. Most of which are my fault I guess. When I couldn't get it going there. I brought it home deciding to throw my carbs on to get my motor broken in while I figured out my FI problem. I got part way into installing my carbs & decided I should just get it going with my FI. After not having it ready for WCR I figured I have time. So I wanted to do it right & once no matter how long it took. I also was ready to pour gas over it & torch it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .

After talking with a local guy about his experience with a Porsche mechanic. I went by to talk with him & see if he would reinstall my FI. I told him my problems & he said no problem. As it was he had a 914 he needed a 2.0 motor for. I had a running spare in my garage. We struck a deal that he would get my motor for his work. I dropped it off Memorial day. Turns out he could not get to my car then. My car ended up sitting outside in the rain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . We are now 4 months later & besides the incredibly long wait. Not to mention a few hickups. I won't go into them. Let's just say it was par for the course on this restoration (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .

Tommorow morning is supposed to be the day it starts. Please everyone cross your fingers that it starts & runs like it should. My luck with the car has to change at some point right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I want so much to bring my car back home. Driving it home would be even better
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Oct 15 2010, 07:51 AM
Post #225

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

It will start today Jamie...I'm crossing my toes as well for extra measure.
+Quote Post
NORD
post Oct 15 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #226

Member No.: 2,756

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Lets GO GO GO Hope this is the Day!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 15 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #227

914 Guru

Big flippin surprise! I can't get ahold of the guy. Bet my car is just sitting outside once again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) . I've gotten this we should be ready friday before. I can guaranDamntee I will never take my 914 here again. You'd think I would be numb to this by now. NOPE I'm flippin pissed again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fyou1.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 15 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #228

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

I was thinking there's no way I'll get my car on the road before you do...

but something tells me I may have a chance.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 15 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #229

914 Guru

One thing I have learned with this resto! If I am having someone else work on my car. They are giving me a timetable. My paint took forever(over a year) as did my motor rebuild. Only things that got done in a timely manner I did myself. Well except for the fender section which my seattle teener croud helped me do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(thanks again). I am an understanding guy. I have been a little to understanding with people during this resto. It has done nothing but cost me alot of time & money. I'm ready to torch the phucking thing again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
kphimself
post Oct 15 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 12,146
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

When i first got my car i took it to a local VW place to have the engine looked over and get running (had no clue about these cars), after a month and 1600 bucks they got it running (a simple tune up) then they said i needed to have a new oil dip stick tube fabricated that cost me 450 then out of no where i got a call i need to pay 5,800 for a new engine, after i saw it running, they said it didn't work. The dip stick thing they made was put together out of clear silcone like you use on a window. All it needed was a new piece of rubber that connects between the blower and the block but they crimped it off and screwed me over. I won't name the place in VA beach but i feel your pain, i ended up rebuilding the engine myself and learned never to pay anyone for work on a car, might not come out perfect but at least i'll learn in the process and it will get done in a timely manner. Shit it can't be any worse then these fools that call them shelf experts.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 16 2010, 06:41 AM
Post #231

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 15 2010, 06:32 PM) *

One thing I have learned with this resto! If I am having someone else work on my car. They are giving me a timetable. My paint took forever(over a year) as did my motor rebuild. Only things that got done in a timely manner I did myself. Well except for the fender section which my seattle teener croud helped me do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(thanks again). I am an understanding guy. I have been a little to understanding with people during this resto. It has done nothing but cost me alot of time & money. I'm ready to torch the phucking thing again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

If I were going to pay someone to rebuild an engine - it would be Mark DeBernardi at Original Customs. For a stock rebuild or a 2056 he can turn it around in very little time. Highly recommend! Plus, he has a really big brain... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 16 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #232

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

But something to remember is the fact that we here on the East Coast have few available 914 Shops. For example the closest 914 owner to me is SWL in Ontario. Racer Chris is 5 hours away and that literally is the closest person that I would trust to work on my teener.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 16 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #233

914 Guru

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 16 2010, 05:41 AM) *

If I were going to pay someone to rebuild an engine - it would be Mark DeBernardi at Original Customs. For a stock rebuild or a 2056 he can turn it around in very little time. Highly recommend! Plus, he has a really big brain... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah if he were closer that would have happened a long time ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . If I have someone else build another motor for me. I may just ship it down to McMark. I have no plans of doing another resto anytime soon. I am going to lay low for a while & quit buying 914's. Going to sell at least 3 of my current cars. Get back to working on my v8 conversion. Debating on selling my roler Aubergine flared car also. Have most everything I need to do another v8 in it. Just not sure I want to do it. I want to get back to my buick 215 v8 914. Time for me to enjoy driving a 914 again.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 16 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #234

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Shipping both ways to McMark is no big deal. All you need is a pallet and some banding equipment. He has even delivered an engine to RDenauer or something like that. He is quick and reliable and runs 11+ minute miles. Not that it's relevent but I thought I would throw that in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 12 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #235

914 Guru

For the most part my Creamsicle has been just sitting at this shop. Ouside getting rained on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) . Guy is really nice & I have just let this go on way to long. Swapped him a good 2.0 motor for the work he was supposed to be doing. Redid the FI system. Added all new vacumn hoses. Still not working & my distributor had issues. Sent it to McMark to get rebuilt. Had him rebuild it & got it back ready to install. Still not working. My fuel pump went bad. Brought him another I had on the shelf. I know it was working fine when pulled but had been sitting a good year & a half. Bagged on a shelf & looked brand new. It was completely dead. So I have another one coming from Craig at Camp. I'll drop it off wednesday. If it doesn't work or there is just another issue. I am going to finally just bring it home & figure it out.

I only took it to this guy because I was extremely frustrated at not figuring it out. He was supposed to be a FI guru & a good wrench. So I figured lets just get it finished & working. I dropped it off memorial day last year. It's been a nightmare having my car sitting out period. I should have just picked it up long ago. Guy had some health issues & a divorce. So I was okay getting put off some. Got kind of out of sight out of mind. I'll get an update next week. At least it still looks good huh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 19 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #236

914 Guru

I went by today to visit my Creamsicle. Supposedly they will be firing it up friday. I have heard this about 20 times so I am not holding my breath. I did tell him it's about time for it to come back home running or not. So I tell him I am picking it up next wednesday no matter what.
I will bring it home & get back to working on it. If I can't figure it out I will take it to a shop I can trust to get it going. Mark Whitesell recommended a place by him I will try. If not I may just make a trip down to see McMark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Apr 19 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 8,341

Jamie, you are a saint to put up with this guy for so long. Hope it fires up friday and makes the wait worthwhile. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
PBC914
post Apr 19 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #238

Member No.: 12,545
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Beautiful car, and amazing work. Good luck and send lots of pics.

Paul
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Apr 19 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #239

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 19 2011, 06:32 PM) *

I went by today to visit my Creamsicle. Supposedly they will be firing it up friday. I have heard this about 20 times so I am not holding my breath. I did tell him it's about time for it to come back home running or not. So I tell him I am picking it up next wednesday no matter what.
I will bring it home & get back to working on it. If I can't figure it out I will take it to a shop I can trust to get it going. Mark Whitesell recommended a place by him I will try. If not I may just make a trip down to see McMark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Too bad you aren't closer this way, my guy would have it running in a day. Hell, as much as I have been learning about d-jet lately I could probably get it going. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Apr 19 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #240

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

If you decide to go down south and you would like some company, i could roadtrip with you.

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 19 2011, 04:32 PM) *

+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2024 - 01:48 AM